WWE Network Announced for Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: WWE Network Announced for Roku

Postby bozzy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
housemr wrote:Roku online says the wwe network is installed but it isnt showing up on my older roku Roku HD (N1100). if it wont work/install on older rokus why doesnt roku give the message "Oops. It seems there are no players linked to your Roku account that support this channel. Check out our latest selection of Roku players."

It is only for the newer Rokus. It will not work on the first gen Rokus at all. The WWE wrote it that way.

It doesn't require a Roku 3 however. It looks like only the first gen Roku's are left out.
bozzy

Postby housemr » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
housemr wrote:Roku online says the wwe network is installed but it isnt showing up on my older roku Roku HD (N1100). if it wont work/install on older rokus why doesnt roku give the message "Oops. It seems there are no players linked to your Roku account that support this channel. Check out our latest selection of Roku players."

It is only for the newer Rokus. It will not work on the first gen Rokus at all. The WWE wrote it that way.

which is fine if that is true but roku needs to notify myself and all others with that message above when they try to add it to their device in the online channel store (like they do with say pbs) and not show installed.
housemr

Postby Basil » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Do you have just the one Roku on your account? That is, from https://owner.roku.com does the My Linked Devices section show only that one device (the N1100)?

If so, then, yes, it shouldn't let you install it to your account.

If there is another Roku on the account, then it now has the channel.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick; previous: Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Chromecast; Previous: Simple.TV/OTA, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby housemr » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:58 pm

yes, the (N1100) is on its own account with no other devices.
housemr

Postby Basil » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:05 pm

housemr wrote:yes, the (N1100) is on its own account with no other devices.

Maybe one of the developers that frequent the forum can weigh in and help explain the behavior.

On a relative's Roku 1, she was perusing the Channel Store on the Website, saw the YouTube channel listed, and attempted to add it. I wouldn't let her. It told her that the device on her account didn't support the channel. So, yes, it can be done.

Now, if that's some setting within the channel that Google utilized so the Website wouldn't allow it to be added to a non-supported device, or if it's completely on the Roku end for handling that, I don't know. If a developer knows, maybe they can explain. And, if it's a Roku issue, then Roku can work towards a fix. But if it's a developer issue, then perhaps the developer (WWE) would update accordingly.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick; previous: Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Chromecast; Previous: Simple.TV/OTA, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby TheEndless » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Basil wrote:
housemr wrote:yes, the (N1100) is on its own account with no other devices.

Maybe one of the developers that frequent the forum can weigh in and help explain the behavior.

On a relative's Roku 1, she was perusing the Channel Store on the Website, saw the YouTube channel listed, and attempted to add it. I wouldn't let her. It told her that the device on her account didn't support the channel. So, yes, it can be done.

Now, if that's some setting within the channel that Google utilized so the Website wouldn't allow it to be added to a non-supported device, or if it's completely on the Roku end for handling that, I don't know. If a developer knows, maybe they can explain. And, if it's a Roku issue, then Roku can work towards a fix. But if it's a developer issue, then perhaps the developer (WWE) would update accordingly.

Pure speculation, but I think it depends on how the channel is limited when published. The YouTube channel is limited to a specific model (Roku 3), while the WWE channel is probably limited by firmware version. It's much easier for the online channel store to know if you have a Roku 3 or not than it is to know what firmware version is installed on your devices.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby housemr » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:39 pm

thanks for all the feedback. i purchased a new roku 3 last week due to wanting youtube, pbs, and watchespn, and now wwe that i couldnt get on my old box so it sounds like it was a smart call.
housemr

Postby bvd1022 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:35 am

bozzy wrote:
Elijah_Baley wrote:

It doesn't require a Roku 3 however. It looks like only the first gen Roku's are left out.

I didn’t have a first generation Roku, but I did have an LT model from the recently discontinued previous generation of models. I upgraded to an R3 almost a month ago because I figured it made more sense to buy the most recent, top of the line model that will get all the required support and updates before it became a requirement. It would make sense that newer channels like WWE Network would only support newer models because I’d imagine that those who developed the channel and will be supporting the channel from a technical standpoint had to follow certain guidelines probably only in place for newer models as previous generations have been discontinued.

It’s kind of a raw deal for those who don’t have the most recent line of models, but from a technical standpoint I can understand why Roku would be doing that. WWE Network in particular is a huge boost for the OTT realm and will generate more business for companies like Roku. It makes sense that they would want to make sure the channel runs as flawless as possible and the best way to ensure that is to make it available for the most recent models which have the most up to date software and support. It really is no different than when cable went from analog to digital in the late 1990s when you really think about it.
bvd1022

Postby bozzy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 am

bvd1022 wrote:I didn’t have a first generation Roku, but I did have an LT model from the recently discontinued previous generation of models. I upgraded to an R3 almost a month ago because I figured it made more sense to buy the most recent, top of the line model that will get all the required support and updates before it became a requirement. It would make sense that newer channels like WWE Network would only support newer models because I’d imagine that those who developed the channel and will be supporting the channel from a technical standpoint had to follow certain guidelines probably only in place for newer models as previous generations have been discontinued.

It looks like the WWE Network just requires the latest firmware. So it is not a hardware issue. They most likely used the latest SDK and are not going to spend resources developing support for older firmwares. That makes a lot of sense to me.
bozzy

Postby bvd1022 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:01 pm

bozzy wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:I didn’t have a first generation Roku, but I did have an LT model from the recently discontinued previous generation of models. I upgraded to an R3 almost a month ago because I figured it made more sense to buy the most recent, top of the line model that will get all the required support and updates before it became a requirement. It would make sense that newer channels like WWE Network would only support newer models because I’d imagine that those who developed the channel and will be supporting the channel from a technical standpoint had to follow certain guidelines probably only in place for newer models as previous generations have been discontinued.

It looks like the WWE Network just requires the latest firmware. So it is not a hardware issue. They most likely used the latest SDK and are not going to spend resources developing support for older firmwares. That makes a lot of sense to me.

From what I read about the issue it seems that the most recent previous generation will be covered as it simply requires software version 5.3 or above. The previous generation’s models should be covered for a certain period of time one could assume, but I just felt that the R3 was a wise investment and a way for me to stay ahead of the curb technology wise. As I said before it is really no different than when cable went from analog to digital in the late 90s. Some channels would only be available exclusively on a digital platform and thus those with older analog boxes would be left out unless they upgraded. It really is no different when you really think about it.
bvd1022

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion