Playing ISO files?

For general discussion of the Roku PhotoBridge HD1000 and Gallery Collection.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Playing ISO files?

Postby mparadis » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:19 pm

I'm using CloneDVD2 to encode some of my DVD's. I encode them into the ISO format. Strange thing is, I can rename them from .ISO to .MPG and they will play on my PC but the Roku can't do a thing with them. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm basically wanting to encode my DVD's to a high quality MPEG file but most programs out there want to compress and that's not what I want.

Mike
mparadis

Postby drew138 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:56 am

ISOs are a disk image. I assume your PC is simply reading the image via its internal DVD player. generally you have to mount the file as a disk image to play them back but its interesting that you can do so only by renaming them to mpg. Try ripping the files as a single VOB file anda renaming it to MPG. That might work.

Currently, MPlay and the Roku in general cannot read ISO files, which include the DVD Menu and Navigations. There are some issues with the Roku SDK that prevent an accurate read of the menus and related timings (or something like that).

There have been some rumblings out of the MPlay camp that true ISO files will be supported in the future if TheEndless and his dedicated team of programers and testers can find a work around solution. ;) I patiently wait and check back on the Roku forms daily for an update. :)

I doubt that it will help, but you can also check the latest version of Mplay that supports UPnP servers. I don't think it will help with your specific issue but it could help with the transport. I'm looking forward to trying it myself later this week.

Drew
drew138

Postby mparadis » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:17 am

>ISOs are a disk image. I assume your PC is simply reading the image >via its internal DVD player. generally you have to mount the file as a >disk image to play them back but its interesting that you can do so only >by renaming them to mpg. Try ripping the files as a single VOB file anda >renaming it to MPG. That might work.

This is why it is comfusing to me also. I rip it to ISO, rename it to MPG and (my default player) WinAmp fires up and actually plays the file. No mounting or anything else.

You mentioned trying to rip the DVD to one single VOB file? I don't think my CloneDVD2 can do that? I would not mind trying another tool if I could find one that would allow me to pick and choose the chapters as my current tool does, then rip to ONE file which is not compressed. I want to put my DVD's on media servers, not onto CD :).

Mike
mparadis

Return to PhotoBridge General Discussion