Yahoo Screen freezes

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Yahoo Screen freezes

Postby john262 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:30 pm

I have two Roku 1 boxes model 2710x. I recently added Yahoo Screen. The problem I have is it keeps freezing. It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when a video clip finishes the screen just sits there and won't move no matter which button I push. The only way to fix it is to unplug the unit then plug it back in again. When I do that it seems to fix it at first then it starts doing it again. A first I thought it was just on one of my boxes but then it froze on my other box too. I also tried deleting the app then re-adding it. Again, it was alright for a while then it started freezing again. I finally gave up and just deleted it. This is the only channel that I have had this problem with.
john262

Re: Yahoo Screen freezes

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Can you PM me your Roku serial number, firmware version, and email address?

I see you've already deleted/re-added the channel. Can you try doing it again, only this time reboot the Roku in between?

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby john262 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks. I just pm-ed you.
john262

Postby stutch13 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:36 am

john262 wrote:I have two Roku 1 boxes model 2710x. I recently added Yahoo Screen. The problem I have is it keeps freezing. It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when a video clip finishes the screen just sits there and won't move no matter which button I push. The only way to fix it is to unplug the unit then plug it back in again. When I do that it seems to fix it at first then it starts doing it again. A first I thought it was just on one of my boxes but then it froze on my other box too. I also tried deleting the app then re-adding it. Again, it was alright for a while then it started freezing again. I finally gave up and just deleted it. This is the only channel that I have had this problem with.

This happens as well to me.. It might not happen every time I watch a video and sometimes I think either I was lucky, or it is fixed.. Yesterday out of wondering I checked my little brothers box and he has Yahoo screen so I checked to see it it would lock his box and was happy to see that indeed it did as well lock his up.. He has an XS (I believe that is the model, he has the ability to play video games on it).. His locked up and stayed locked until I unplugged his box and then plugged it back in.. On mine (a HD 2500 model) it will lock in black screen then go through the reboot phase within I think thirty seconds.. On my brothers it stayed locked for over a minute before I gave up and unplugged it.. I as well have gotten rid of the channel (deleted) then got it back on after a recycle.. Hopefully this channel will get it together.. It's been nearly a month and the greatest disappointment is that the better version on nowhere tv isn't working anymore..
stutch13

Postby vnazario » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:17 am

stutch13 wrote:
john262 wrote:I have two Roku 1 boxes model 2710x. I recently added Yahoo Screen. The problem I have is it keeps freezing. It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when a video clip finishes the screen just sits there and won't move no matter which button I push. The only way to fix it is to unplug the unit then plug it back in again. When I do that it seems to fix it at first then it starts doing it again. A first I thought it was just on one of my boxes but then it froze on my other box too. I also tried deleting the app then re-adding it. Again, it was alright for a while then it started freezing again. I finally gave up and just deleted it. This is the only channel that I have had this problem with.

This happens as well to me.. It might not happen every time I watch a video and sometimes I think either I was lucky, or it is fixed.. Yesterday out of wondering I checked my little brothers box and he has Yahoo screen so I checked to see it it would lock his box and was happy to see that indeed it did as well lock his up.. He has an XS (I believe that is the model, he has the ability to play video games on it).. His locked up and stayed locked until I unplugged his box and then plugged it back in.. On mine (a HD 2500 model) it will lock in black screen then go through the reboot phase within I think thirty seconds.. On my brothers it stayed locked for over a minute before I gave up and unplugged it.. I as well have gotten rid of the channel (deleted) then got it back on after a recycle.. Hopefully this channel will get it together.. It's been nearly a month and the greatest disappointment is that the better version on nowhere tv isn't working anymore..

You may want to check again the NowhereTV version of Yahoo! Screen. It was down for a bit showing no content but yesterday it was working OK. Not sure if it is back down at this moment as I am at work. But check again, it may be working fine.
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
Local TV: QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported plug-ins.
vnazario

Postby stutch13 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:07 pm

vnazario wrote:
stutch13 wrote:

You may want to check again the NowhereTV version of Yahoo! Screen. It was down for a bit showing no content but yesterday it was working OK. Not sure if it is back down at this moment as I am at work. But check again, it may be working fine.

I'm sorry I was just going by what I knew from a few days ago when I clicked it to check and cross my fingers it would be working.. I figure it will be off Nowhere tv eventually because it seems to get beta tested there then moved to a paid channel on the lineup.. (note weather nation).. I tried the fix by RokuShawnG and so far it seems to be working.. I think what I did was delete then reacquire but not the restart part in the middle.. I then tried to lock the channel up by my habit of starting a video then backing out and doing another.. Guess we'll see if that is a fix for this later on when I have time to mess with it..
stutch13

Postby stutch13 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:20 am

I just thought I would post a quick update.. Everything that RokuShawnS said to do has worked.. There hasn't been another lockup on my box.. Thank you ...
stutch13

Postby thetick » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:11 am

It's been two weeks and Yahoo Screen is still locking up regularly. I removed the channel, pulled the Roku power plug out then back in , and then installed the channel yet again. I have a Roku 3 v5.3 build 4016. Could support please reply back with an update?
thetick

Postby thetick » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Yahoo Screen still freezes on my Roku 3 firmware 5.4 build 3340.
thetick

Postby john262 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:39 am

Yahoo Screen has been freezing again after I tried Shawn's solution. The trick fixed it for a while but now it's back again. I suspect that the fault is with whoever developed the Yahoo Screen app, not with Roku. I just tried Yahoo Screen on the Nowhere TV app and so far it works, but then again sometimes the Yahoo Screen app works for a few days before it freezes so I don't know if using Nowhere TV is a long term solution or not.

And today I noticed that the MHz Network app isn't working either. It starts up but then it gets to "retrieving" and it just sits there and will never get past the retrieving point.
john262

Postby thetick » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am

john262 wrote:... I noticed that the MHz Network app isn't working either. It starts up but then it gets to "retrieving" and it just sits there and will never get past the retrieving point.

Yep me too. Mhz is being discussed at
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69057
thetick

Postby jdmac29 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46 pm

My yahoo screen froze tonight and it rebooted my roku 2.
jdmac29

Postby stutch13 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 am

jdmac29 wrote:My yahoo screen froze tonight and it rebooted my roku 2.

The fix seemed to work but now sadly it doesn't.. Mine as well used to lock up and within a few seconds rebooted itself but now it locks and doesn't reboot for quite some time.. In fact I didn't wait to see how long it takes to reboot, I did it for it, clicking the reboot button(?) and getting it going again.. Hopefully the update mentioned elsewhere will fix this issue..
stutch13

Postby stutch13 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:22 am

Are there people like me that love this Yahoo screen channel that look at the video clips description and don't play the video because it might lock the box?? I find this happens on channels that this happens on.. I'm watching the Roku and just dozing and know that if the box goes to reboot it makes my heart beat faster and getting to sleep at that moment is gone and now I wait the few minutes for the reboot to finish and then look for that show with doze appeal.. <Force equals mass times acceleration> you Yahoo screen you coulda been the one but no, you gotta lock up my box.
stutch13

Postby SteBae » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Yeah I also get frequent lock-ups. I tried the "fix" (remove channel, reboot Roku 3, install channel) but it didn't really help. I really use this channel now because of it.
Last edited by SteBae on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteBae

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion