Remote Control

For general discussion of the Roku PhotoBridge HD1000 and Gallery Collection.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Remote Control

Postby Hutch » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:10 pm

I just got my HD1000 - Everything seems to work *ok* (now that I'm using a swap file...) but the remote is TERRIBLE. It is so bad I'm wondering if I have a defective one.

I replaced the batteries thinking they might be near dead, but no luck. I have the unit in a rack behind glass - I tried opening the door as well, no luck. Basically I have to hit a button many times for the roku to pick up the signal - I have to aim it directly at the unit and even get close. It's almost so bad I'm thinking of returning the unit - if I have to get up off the couch it's not worth it (heh heh).

But seriously, has anyone had the same issues? If so, solutions? If it had web interface to control the unit that would solve everything. It is so frustrating just trying to navigate the user interface with the remote - especially considering the mp3 interface isn't wonderful - and requires a lot of navigating.

Thanks in advance....

Hutch
Hutch

Postby jsjames » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:38 pm

Yes,
The remotes are VERY bad. I hope they release a better one soon.
Thanks,

Jeff
M1000
jsjames

Postby jmsaul » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:13 pm

I'll second that -- the remote is the worst I've ever used. Terrible. (Sorry, Roku folks, but it's true.) However, the HD1000 isn't actually bad at receiving signals, the remote is just bad at sending them. If you use a programmable remote the HD1000 gets the signals just fine.

I wanted to do more with programmable remotes anyway, so I got a Philips Pronto TSU3000, downloaded the codes for the HD1000 from the support section of the Roku website, and it's great. You even get a function that isn't on the remote -- a Stop button. If you decide to go that route, email me. I've changed their layout a bit. (For any fellow Pronto geeks: their layout is for the old generation, and with the NG screens you can add a couple buttons in.)
jmsaul

Postby jarmstrong » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:23 pm

If you want a less expensive solution than a Pronto, you can use a "One For All" remote with a JP1 connector in the battery compartment. These are programmable and I translated the pronto ccf file for the Roku into a device upgrade that is posted in the JP1 files. You will also need a JP1 cable. The total cost will be ~$30 to $40.

From an IR perspective these little remotes can be programed to do any IR command that any other programmable remote can transmit. I control 13 different devices with one of mine including the Roku.

More information here.
-Jon
jarmstrong

Postby Hutch » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:57 pm

I use a Sony RM-AV3000 for the rest of my gear so that's good to hear that it's not the unit itself, but the remote.

I'm assuming I just need to "learn" the sony - time to break out the manual again...

jmsaul, if you have specific information about learning remotes and the roku I'd love to hear it. If you can, post it here or email me a - hcraig at gmail d0t com.

Thanks!

Hutch
Hutch

Postby Hutch » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:02 pm

MUCH better. I'm using the sony now instead of the one that came with the unit. I'm jealous of your "stop" key though :lol:
Hutch

Postby jeffreytz » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:58 pm

jmsaul wrote:I wanted to do more with programmable remotes anyway, so I got a Philips Pronto TSU3000, downloaded the codes for the HD1000 from the support section of the Roku website, and it's great.

I wish I'd seen that cfg file earlier - I just finished creating my own for my TSU3000 and getting it to "learn" the Roku's remote was incredibly difficult! I finally gave up using the NGEdit program to learn them and used the remote's internal learn function to learn each of the buttons on the control panel. I finally got them all to work (for some reason zoom down was almost impossible!) and then I saw the cfg file on the support screen :) Oh well, live and learn - at least I have all the codes now, and I don't have to translate the "old generation" cfg file.

JT
jeffreytz

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:40 pm

jeffreytz wrote:
jmsaul wrote:I wanted to do more with programmable remotes anyway, so I got a Philips Pronto TSU3000, downloaded the codes for the HD1000 from the support section of the Roku website, and it's great.

I wish I'd seen that cfg file earlier - I just finished creating my own for my TSU3000 and getting it to "learn" the Roku's remote was incredibly difficult! I finally gave up using the NGEdit program to learn them and used the remote's internal learn function to learn each of the buttons on the control panel. I finally got them all to work (for some reason zoom down was almost impossible!) and then I saw the cfg file on the support screen :) Oh well, live and learn - at least I have all the codes now, and I don't have to translate the "old generation" cfg file.

JT

Translation wasn't a problem -- I loaded it right into ProntoEdit NG, and it got converted over. All I did was rearrange some buttons, since the 3000 has more screen space.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:44 pm

Hutch wrote:I use a Sony RM-AV3000 for the rest of my gear so that's good to hear that it's not the unit itself, but the remote.

I'm assuming I just need to "learn" the sony - time to break out the manual again...

jmsaul, if you have specific information about learning remotes and the roku I'd love to hear it. If you can, post it here or email me a - hcraig at gmail d0t com.

Thanks!

Hutch

I have a slightly-rearranged file for a new generation Pronto, but I don't think I can do much for you on another remote -- I could give you the Pronto hex code for Stop, but unless there's some way to translate it I don't think it would be very useful.

If you're in the area you're welcome to come by with your remote and learn it from the Pronto, though. ;-)

Roku also provided a number of other buttons that exist only in the Pronto file, for application developers to use. So far, nobody has. I believe these are IR commands that the HD1000 will respond to, but the stock remote doesn't have a button for.

Postby jmsaul » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:46 pm

(Sorry, that was me forgetting to log in again)

The other thing you're missing out on is discrete on and off codes (as opposed to the codes that just toggle the power on and off).
jmsaul

Sony RM-AV3000

Postby vs » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:28 pm

Hutch wrote:I use a Sony RM-AV3000 for the rest of my gear so that's good to hear that it's not the unit itself, but the remote.

I'm also using the Sony RM-AV3000 to run my other 6 components - works extrememly well on the HD1000 after a short "learning" session :D

Cheers
vs

Postby Hutch » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:26 am

jmsaul wrote:(Sorry, that was me forgetting to log in again)

The other thing you're missing out on is discrete on and off codes (as opposed to the codes that just toggle the power on and off).

Fine, rub it in :wink:! That would be nice, but I'll take not having to stand 3 feet from the HD1000, pushing the remote buttons 4 times and cursing the <Force equals mass times acceleration> thing! :lol:
Hutch

Program HD1000 to respond to new IR codes?

Postby mikepurt » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:21 pm

Is it or will it be possible to "teach" the HD1000 to respond to other IR codes in place of the existing ones?
I'm interested in using a remote that can't be taught new codes.

Thanks,
-- Mike
mikepurt

Return to PhotoBridge General Discussion