Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Roku Guru

Apps automatically exiting to to Roku home screen during playback JVC Roku TV

Hi,

I have noticed this issue recently on my "50 JVC Roku TV where an app will automatically exit during playback and go back to the Roku home screen. This has happened on several apps, but it seems to be happening more frequently on Netflix and MLB TV. Very annoying when watching a game to have the app exit at random. Last night it happened to occur in the ninth inning of a game I was watching in a particular moment where the possibility that my favorite team may have been able to tie the game, I ended up missing the end of it as a result so it is an annoyance.

I have tried the uninstall/reinstall of the apps, restated the TV, and reset my network connection, but this issue keeps happening. Is there anything else I can try on my end or is this something that the engineering department can fix. From what I understand, Roku is making their own TV's now, but for issues like this to happen on a TV that is barely two years old is frustrating. Any help would very much be appreciated.

Thanks ##RokuTV #JVC

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apps automatically exiting to to Roku home screen during playback JVC Roku TV

@bvd1022-

I'm seeing more and more similar complaints regarding Roku TVs from various manufacturers.

I'm not experiencing this problem with my sole TCL Roku TV so I have no first hand experience to relate.  All I can suggest is that, after removing a channel, best practice is to restart** your Roku to clear its memory cache before reinstalling the channel. Without the restart you may not get a clean reinstall.

On a Roku TV you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System > Power. If you don't have sufficient control to use the menus, or if it is just more convenient, you can also restart by pulling the power plug for a short while, then plugging it back in.

**On a Roku TV with "Fast Start" enabled, turning the TV off/on only puts you in/out of a low power standby state, it does NOT give you a complete restart. Use the methods above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Roku Guru

Re: Apps automatically exiting to to Roku home screen during playback JVC Roku TV

@makaiguy 

Its weird because it usually only happens with Netflix and MLB TV. The other night I was watching the Mets-Yankees game and almost got through the entire game without issue until the ninth inning and then it went back to the home screen. Very frustrating. You would think Roku could fix this with a firmware update. 

0 Kudos