Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CRusso
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra has intermittent green flashes

Has anyone ever gotten this issue solved by Roku support? The last post on this is two years old.

I don't see any fixes for this problem on this forum, just questions from Roku on model/serial numbers one is using.

There seems to be a correlation with Sony TVs and Dolby Vision use. Thanks!

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @CRusso!

Our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. No worries! We're here to be of assistance in finding the best resolution to the display issues you've been experiencing.

As of now, we do not have any further updates regarding the collection of device information needed for the report.

Furthermore, in order to provide you with a precise and effective resolution, we require further information from you regarding this matter. With this being said, kindly let us know the following:

• Can you please confirm on which channel have you seen the green/purple flashes?
  • When did you start seeing this happening and what troubleshooting steps have you tried to try and resolve this?
  • Would you be able to provide us with a photo for reference?

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to help you resolve this. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CRusso
Binge Watcher

Thanks for your quick response!

The quick green flash happens on Max and maybe Hulu. I cannot anticipate when it will occur so it's practically impossible to photograph. I can describe it, though. A horizontal band flashes across the bottom 10% of the screen. That band is made up of squares in kind of a checkerboard pattern.

This does not happen when using the TV's built-in browser.

It started when I swapped out the HDMI cable supplied by Roku with a supposed high-end cable a few months ago. The flashing started at that time so I put the original Roku cable back in place, which resolved the issue until last week.

I've not tried any other troubleshooting yet but look forward to your recommendations.

Thank you,
Carl

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @CRusso,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We would be delighted to help you further with this problem you are experiencing. Please try the steps below.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System Restart.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

Best regards,                                                                                                                                      John

John
Roku Community Moderator
CRusso
Binge Watcher

That seems to have done the trick. Thank you!

0 Kudos
CRusso
Binge Watcher

Well, the reset worked for a few weeks but now the green flashes are back, at least on Hulu and Max. A new reset does nothing. (This is not a Dolby Vision-only problem.)

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @CRusso,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We understand you are still having problems with the display when streaming your Roku device. Have you tried updating your software to the latest version, and have you tried unplugging and re-plugging it from the power outlet to see if it fixes the issue?

Please try the steps mentioned and see if they do anything. A photo of the running issue, if possible, as our reference, is also much appreciated.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CRusso
Binge Watcher

The software was already up to date but unplugging the box (and the TV) for a while seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

0 Kudos
CRusso
Binge Watcher

I spoke too soon. The green flashing has not been eliminated by a software update, resetting the power, or unplugging the box. Now it's worse as I try to watch Max.

As I wrote earlier in the thread,  I cannot anticipate when it will occur so it's practically impossible to photograph. A horizontal band flashes across the bottom 10% of the screen in less than a second. That band is made up of squares in kind of a checkerboard pattern.

But additionally, I'm now getting a full-screen flash of thin, green horizontal stripes.

Please advise. Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @CRusso,

We appreciate your quick response.

We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. Can you try streaming other channels aside from Max and Hulu to see if the issue persists on other channels? Also, is it possible to take a video of the screen so you can take a screenshot of it when it occurs? This way, we can have a photo as a reference in case we'll need to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

As a last resort, you can try factory resetting your Roku device if that's okay with you. Please note that this will erase your personal preferences, unlink your device from your Roku account, reset all settings, and return your device to a state ready for initial setup.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos