Digital_Larry
Channel Surfer

Roku 3 video/audio stuttering

Jump to solution

Yes, OK a Roku 3 is on the old side.  I'd been using a FireStick but got tired of how slow it was to navigate menus.  However its video was generally OK.  So I plugged the Roku 3 back in and it was going OK for a month or two but just about a week ago it started stuttering.  If I reset it then it's OK for a few minutes then starts up again.  I also notice that it does not do this on B&W content, which forms a relatively large percentage of what I've been watching recently, so maybe I just didn't notice it.  But I do think it's gotten worse in the past week or two.  It renders whatever I'm looking at unwatchable.  I'll just use my laptop or iPad if this is how it's going to work.

I'm watching Amazon Prime at the moment.

The network connection is wired and the test showed good connectivity at 45 Mbps.

I'd be willing to just plunk down some money for a new one, but this topic seems fairly common and people are talking about the newer models as well.

Details:

Model 4230X

Software 12.5.5 build 4174-04.

MicroSD card is not installed.

-----

Anything I can do to fix it?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku 3 video/audio stuttering, seems to be Amazon Prime

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update, @therealshell!

We understand that you're experiencing an issue with Amazon Prime. However, we recommend contacting the channel provider for further assistance.

Please note that most content on the Roku platform comes from streaming channels maintained and updated independently by the channel's provider. You can contact them here Amazon Prime support.

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku 3 video/audio stuttering

Jump to solution

Warm greetings here in the Roku Community, @Digital_Larry!

We understand that you're having an issue with your Roku device. We'd be happy to find you the best resolution for the audio issues you are currently experiencing.

Before we proceed, could you please confirm if you are experiencing the issue during playback? If yes, kindly provide us with the specific channel on which the problem is occurring. Moreover, do you have any external devices connected to your Roku device? If so, please let us know.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gmaildog

Jump to solution

Hi I'm also have the same problem only on Amazon off of the Roku 3 and it only started early this week.  Cant figure out how to fix it.

0 Kudos
Digital_Larry
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi, yes I am experiencing this problem during playback.  By which I presume you mean "watching a movie or show".  It is not only audio.  It is audio and video together.  They don't seem to jump ahead, they just pause and then keep going every few seconds.

Do I have any external devices connected to it?  Yes.  It is connected to my TV using an HDMI cable.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for providing additional information, @Digital_Larry  @gmaildog!

We appreciate your attempts to resolve this issue. Please follow the troubleshooting steps below to see if it makes any difference. 

Note: Please follow the steps carefully to ensure proper device installation.

1. Unplug the Roku device and then plug it in after, or (try a different HDMI port or TV).
  2. System restart: Go to Roku Home screen > SettingsSystem > Power or System restart.
  3. Software update: Go to Roku Home screen > Settings > System > Software updateCheck Now.

Once you've completed all the steps, please let us know if the issue has been resolved. If not, reply to the thread for further assistance. We are always happy to help you.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gmaildog

Jump to solution

Hello, I tried all that you mentioned  yesterday and this morning, but just did it all again now. 

Yesterday I also uninstalled Amazon, reboot Roku 3 and then install Amazon and switched out my HDMI Cord as well as using a different HDMI port.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
gmaildog

Jump to solution

Hello again - it is still stuttering 😞 for me.

0 Kudos
Digital_Larry
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK, I did all of that.

I watched a show on Roku TV which was about 30 minutes long and it was fine.

Watched about an hour of Netflix with no issues.

Went back to Amazon Prime and it was looking OK but after about 19 minutes it is doing it again.

What now?

DL

0 Kudos
iss05e

Jump to solution

Yup, I'm getting the same thing on Roku 3.  I rented "The Holdovers" on Amazon Prime on Saturday and it was unwatchable as the video would be fine for about 10 mins then basically stutter then grind to a halt.  All other streaming services are fine.

My son uses a Roku 3 in another room and is experiencing the same issues on Amazon Prime.  Only started happening at the weekend.

0 Kudos
pporro

Jump to solution

Same problem:

Same issues, Amazon Prime only Roku3 4230X

I have done all suggested. When I re-boot it works again for 5 minutes and starts stuttering again.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.