Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scary and Inappropriate Ads on Home Screen

Jump to solution

The ads on the Home Screen are far too scary for my 4 year old child. Today there is an ad for “twisted metal” with a scary clown holding a machete hanging out of an ice cream truck. We’ve also seen ads for Scream, Chucky, and many other shows and movies that are not appropriate for children directly on the Home Screen. We have the parental settings configured on the television but they do nothing to limit the inappropriate ads. This has been an issue for multiple years now. I will never buy another Roku product. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Scary and Inappropriate Ads on Home Screen

Jump to solution

@Andreajanelle wrote:

The ads on the Home Screen are far too scary for my 4 year old child. Today there is an ad for “twisted metal” with a scary clown holding a machete hanging out of an ice cream truck. We’ve also seen ads for Scream, Chucky, and many other shows and movies that are not appropriate for children directly on the Home Screen. We have the parental settings configured on the television but they do nothing to limit the inappropriate ads. This has been an issue for multiple years now. I will never buy another Roku product. 

Hi there @Andreajanelle , and welcome to the Roku Community! We've introduced a new feature and wanted to tell you about it. Your preferences are important to us, and good news, you can now "skip" an ad on the Home Screen if it isn't to your liking. Just highlight the ad, press the * button on your remote, and choose the option to "Hide this ad," and press the OK button on your remote.

Learn more about hiding an ad here.

Keep in mind that this will only apply to the ad on the home screen. 

We hope you enjoy this new feature.

Happy Streaming!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Andreajanelle,

Thanks for your post,

While we can't please everyone with the displayed ads, we strive to avoid offensive images and other things that Roku users might disagree with. Please provide us with a picture of the you are seeing so we can forward your comments to our advertising department for review. 

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
m57

Jump to solution

Hi, We all know what inappropriate Ads are for young children even sensitive adults.

We should not be requested to further look at these ads for your advertising dept. to evaluate them.

Using the parental restrictions should be enough to tell Roku employees that one doesn't want these ads. I

It is enough. I chose Roku streaming to avoid unwanted ads "surprise ads" they can be frightening to people with health issues., children, elderly adults. 

It is time people take responsibility for TV content.

MommaWells
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

SAME!!  We don't even watch scary stuff on any of our channels or profiles... alarming choices for ads - especially when seen by everyone, indiscriminately. 

Rockgodtobe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I love horror movies, tv shows, suspense thrillers, etc.  I also am a 55yo man.

What may appeal to me would not appeal to small children.  Especially when their parents have already taken steps to block this type of content from their children.  

Really give a bad look for Roku. "We don't care about your child's nightmares.  We make 11 cents every time a child sees this ad."

Deanna4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I could not agree more. The ads on Roku channel are so disgusting and inappropriate. If I had children in the house I could not leave them alone during a commercial to do something. Absolutely shocking. Not that the ads on Youtube are not completely inappropriate and the shear number is out of control, but at least you can skip them to save yourself. 

Deanna4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have been working my way through Family Affair and they are on. Some of the most disgusting ads come from ads for other channels offered on Roku. The ad for venus women's shaving products hits a new low that it absolutely unbelievable. 

RandySouth
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

To clarify, is there a way to block ads like this? There's also a drag queen ad being shown without regard for age appropriateness. 

RandySouth
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a picture. How do I get it to you? 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You could post it here.  (Click the icon that looks like a camera.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos