Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kash52
Binge Watcher

Re: Unable to watch MLB games with MLB app since about 4/6/2022

May 5, 2022

I had issue with games freezing SEVERAL times at random spots at the start of this 2022 baseball season on Roku Deluxe.  On Sony TV using MLBTV app.  When the game froze, I would get "network error" message and have to restart the game all over again.  After I updated both the Roku and the MLBTV app and that seemed to solve the freezing issue.

However, yesterday, May 4, 2022 the exact same issue appeared out of nowhere AGAIN! The Cub game I watched froze at least EIGHT different times with "network error, try again" appearing. This happened at random times throughout my viewing. All of my other devices on internet were online and functioning without a problem, so I know our internet was working. I have an email to MLB support re: this issue. Never had this problem before with my SAME devices. VERY FRUSTRATING!!! 

0 Kudos
DJ64
Channel Surfer

@Kash52 wrote:

May 5, 2022

I had issue with games freezing SEVERAL times at random spots at the start of this 2022 baseball season on Roku Deluxe.  On Sony TV using MLBTV app.  When the game froze, I would get "network error" message and have to restart the game all over again.  After I updated both the Roku and the MLBTV app and that seemed to solve the freezing issue.

However, yesterday, May 4, 2022 the exact same issue appeared out of nowhere AGAIN! The Cub game I watched froze at least EIGHT different times with "network error, try again" appearing. This happened at random times throughout my viewing. All of my other devices on internet were online and functioning without a problem, so I know our internet was working. I have an email to MLB support re: this issue. Never had this problem before with my SAME devices. VERY FRUSTRATING!!! 

After nearly 2 weeks of problem free viewing, I tried to watch last nights Mets/Phillies game and got repeated "network error- retry" interruptions on both broadcasts. At one point I left the error on the screen so long while doing something else, the game came back on by itself, but it was backed up 45 min. I'm done. Ive canceled my renewal for next month and maybe try again some other time. Its a shame. In the last 15 consecutive years, Ive never had such problems. At all. This year is a train wreck. I saw on the mlbtv website about them adding all these "great new features" for stats and graphics. They need to drop that **bleep** and concentrate on providing a working app.

0 Kudos
dlee0708
Binge Watcher

@Kash52  : However, yesterday, May 4, 2022 the exact same issue appeared out of nowhere AGAIN! The Cub game I watched froze at least EIGHT different times with "network error, try again" appearing. This happened at random times throughout my viewing. All of my other devices on internet were online and functioning without a problem, so I know our internet was working.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am wondering if there is a difference in our experience because we are watching non-live games.

I had an old device and was not able to watch games at all (never more than a few minutes at the most, usually not able to play the game at all) until I got a new device. The new device (Roku Express 4K Model 3940RW) worked  flawlessly until one time the game being watched was live (not actually watching live, but the game was still running when started watching from the beginning of the broadcast) in which I believe got the network error (it was my mom who encountered this, so not exactly sure of the problem). That was the only game that was live, all the rest of the games being watched (which were all successful) were at least 16 hours old or more. 

A few times since then I will get an error when trying to fast forward thru commercials (and this only occurs maybe 1 out of 20 times) but if I just let it play thru all the way (again, on an game already finished) without fast forwarding it has worked perfectly every time so far.

I am wondering if we are not getting the network error everyone is getting because we only watch games that are not live.

Hmmm, now thinking about this I am going to try the game tonight to watch it live and see what happens (probably won't be watching, but just let it run and see what happens).

-Don

Kash52
Binge Watcher

Don,

Yes I hardly watch my Cub games live, but mostly after the game has finished. I also fast forward through commercials.  You bring up an interesting point. What's weird though, is that I had no problems for about 3 weeks in April (after updating the app), but now the problem of game freezing with "network error" message came back. And, yes I checked for updates again.  I find it hard to believe that it's not a problem on MLBTV's end.  However, I really appreciate your giving me info re: new Roku model number and happy that it's working great for your mom! I'm waiting for a response from MLBTV and have told them there are SEVERAL customers having game watching issues listed on this Roku community site and that I'm not alone.  I may wind up going out to buy that new Roku model! Again your info is MUCH appreciated!

Kash52
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the links to MLBTV issues. I've emailed support and am waiting for a response.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@Kash52  Post on there Twitter support. If you Google MBL.TV errors or problems you will find that people using Roku, FireTV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Windows and more are complaining about issues for the over a year. 

Kash52
Binge Watcher

ok Thanks!

0 Kudos
dlee0708
Binge Watcher

@Kash52 Yes I hardly watch my Cub games live, but mostly after the game has finished. I also fast forward through commercials.  You bring up an interesting point. What's weird though, is that I had no problems for about 3 weeks in April (after updating the app), but now the problem of game freezing with "network error" message came back. And, yes I checked for updates again.  I find it hard to believe that it's not a problem on MLBTV's end.  However, I really appreciate your giving me info re: new Roku model number and happy that it's working great for your mom! I'm waiting for a response from MLBTV and have told them there are SEVERAL customers having game watching issues listed on this Roku community site and that I'm not alone.  I may wind up going out to buy that new Roku model! Again your info is MUCH appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kash52,

Thanks for the update and I will update what I have found which in short is probably just more questions than answers. So to start just want to be clear, the newer model (Roku Express 4K Model 3940W) fixed the issue where my mom and I could not watch the games at all. That definitely has gone away with the newer model. But it seems there is another issue where people are having network error issues that I am not sure the newer model will fix.

Also I should say I personally have not watched hardly any of the games but it's my mom on her service who has been watching all the games. So last night I tried a test to see if I could watch a live game on my service (would like to have done this on my mom's but it not something that would be convenient to be done for me or her). So on my service I got thru 3 innings of the live game and then it failed. I retried which went fine, but I think it must have failed again but not sure when. So then this morning I decided to watch that same game (this time of course it's not live). Wow, major troubles that I think everyone else has been having. This is the first time I experienced this. The few times before when controlling my mom's device and fast forward it would occasionally hang and I just restart the app and resume or just retry and it be fine after that. This time on my device trying to watch the 5/6/22 game It would get a network error and I click retry and it would play a few seconds and get another network error within a few seconds over and over. Restarted the game, restarted the app and it was the same thing no matter what I did. I gave up and then tried to watch a previous game on my device and didn't seem to have any problems. That game went all the way thru. I just tried to watch the 5/6/22 Friday night game again just now and it is having the same problems still even though I was not watching it live. So my previous thinking was the reason I hadn't seen all the network error problems was because my mom always watches a game that is at least one day old is most definitely incorrect. So I don't know what to think. The interesting thing is, these problems I am seeing is on my device and service (as opposed to my mom's which has been near flawless at this point). She doesn't have a super fast internet service really, it's just the Spectrum basic service.

It will be interesting to see what happens when she watches the Friday 5/6/22 game if she encounters the network errors. It will be a few days before that happens. If she starts getting the network errors it will be a nightmare for me. My mom is 96 years old and unable to use the remote controls effectively (really at all, she can up/down channel and volume, but that really is all she can do) so for the St. Louis Cardinal games I control everything from my house using the harmony hub which allows me to send IR commands to all her devices (and then have a camera to see what the TV is doing etc). So I just setup the game and let it go and come back and check about the time the game is over to bring it back to regular TV. But if it starts failing a lot that's going to be a real problem.

-Don

PeteM15

I’ve been having the same problem on my roku 3 and 4620x roku premiere since the start of the season.  Everything I’ve read on this forum indicates issues with earlier roku models.  I deleted the mlb app, unplugged my router and restarted the roku and still experienced the same issues.  I called Mlbtv support and they told me to call roku support.  Roku doesn’t have support.  Have you resolved your issue with the network error?  I’m wondering if upping my internet speed will resolve this issue, but according to my network connection screen on the roku I have “excellent” signal strength and every time I check it says the internet download speed is “good,” and it registers between 39-56 mbps.  I usually watch games delayed so I’m not streaming live and according to roku even if streaming live 5 mbps is enough.  

0 Kudos