Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beckfield
Binge Watcher

What Roku guideline caused Plex to remove screensaver?

Jump to solution

The most recent build of the Plex for Roku app removed their built-in screensaver.  Their release notes say it was done due to "new Roku guidelines."

I'm wondering what this guideline is.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What Roku guideline caused Plex to remove screensaver?

Jump to solution

@beckfield 

Roku basically now only allows standalone Screensavers.  A channel/app can no longer bundle a screensaver with its channel/app development. (ie. supply and use their own screensaver during channel/app usage).

Plex and the other channels/apps affected can still develop a standalone screensaver that the user could install on the device.

However, a Plex screensaver would then display whenever activated across the device, not just while using the Plex channel/app.

From the documentation, Screensavers cannot include DynamicComponent libraries, ad insertion, In-app purchases, deep links, or any type of user-initiated, interactive functionality.

Not sure if this policy change was in response to any abuses/concerns, or just a way to further standardize the Roku platform.    

https://blog.roku.com/developer/channel-certification-criteria-updates-april-2023

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/media-playback/screensavers.md

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@beckfield 

Roku basically now only allows standalone Screensavers.  A channel/app can no longer bundle a screensaver with its channel/app development. (ie. supply and use their own screensaver during channel/app usage).

Plex and the other channels/apps affected can still develop a standalone screensaver that the user could install on the device.

However, a Plex screensaver would then display whenever activated across the device, not just while using the Plex channel/app.

From the documentation, Screensavers cannot include DynamicComponent libraries, ad insertion, In-app purchases, deep links, or any type of user-initiated, interactive functionality.

Not sure if this policy change was in response to any abuses/concerns, or just a way to further standardize the Roku platform.    

https://blog.roku.com/developer/channel-certification-criteria-updates-april-2023

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/media-playback/screensavers.md

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

ShotFromGuns
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This was a terrible change that's degrading my experience. Users should be able to make their own decisions about what screensavers to use, and dynamic content screensavers are vastly superior to the default option. This has also broken how Plex handles exiting a pause after the screensaver has been activated, since it now entirely exits the playing media. I'm also hearing reports that it doesn't work at all for music. 

kolona

Jump to solution

I apologize, but I don't have access to specific guidelines or updates from Roku regarding Plex and screensaver removal. As an AI language model, my knowledge is based on information available up until September 2021. For the most accurate and up-to-date information, I recommend checking official Roku announcements or contacting Roku support directly for clarification on any guidelines that may have affected Plex's screensaver feature.

Regards: tubidy mp3 download

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Spam link from @kolona do not click

Ninja07
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All I know is it is frustrating every time I step away for a moment I have to have a physical interaction with Roku now. I've resorted to telling Alexa to pause every few minutes when my hands are tied up.

X1LightningMan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well, I Am VERY DISAPPOINTED!! 

Before I get to my gripe... I want to say how much I love the Aquarium screensaver. That love makes what has happened recently even harder. 

You see, I had even wished there was a way for the Plex Channel/App to call the Roku screensaver. To see all the lovely fishes on my TV. But not at the expense of the experience, as it turns out. 

So here's the problem... The Plex DVR/Live TV using cable card tunners experience isn't the best to begin with. But now? It is sooo much worse.

I'm not being overly dramatic here. I have issues with watching TV. I have OCD and ADD. I am also a very slow reader. The bottom line is that I use pause A LOT! Was never a problem. I was always very happy that the Plex screensaver came on. I hit any button on the Roku remote and was right back at the paused screen visible on my TV. 

So now my Roku experience is absolutely miserable. I hit pause and when the Roku screensaver comes on, it now means that I come back to a screen with the option to play/resume what I was watching. But now there's a bit of a delay; and of course it is not paused but playing. So I sometimes have to go back and pause it again if I wanted to read something off the screen.

I just don't understand what would make anyone think this is a good idea. Now, I understand that I can change the screensaver timeout. But to me this defeats the purpose of having a screensaver in the first place. I'm tired of typing screensaver now. 

Please figure this out and make it better! I really need it to be the way it was before Plex made these changes to their channel/app due to Roku's new policy demands. 

One thing, though not ideal would be to at least let the app/channel set the timeout within it's own settings. Still I would not be all that happy. I may have to find a different streaming device for Plex. That would be a shame. Because I have always loved Roku. 

Thanks for listening (at least I hope someone at Roku is listening) 

mosafer
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The problem is not just screen saver! when the Roku screen saver kicks, Plex exits the play mode and stops the media you are watching.

Terrible idea Roku!

trashcanman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is total BS, i wondered what changed recently and now i know

Example...Listening to music on Plex, pause and walk away, come back to Roku screen saver, exit roku screen saver and Plex is no longer paused and i lost where i was in the song.

Now i am understanding why people hate roku and i am now very pissed off.

same happens with movies but at least they save their progress

Roku you need to reconsider this stupid decision as I can see no reason for it to be this way

Mark me as another hater!

X1LightningMan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@trashcanman

I understand 100% and feel as you do. It doesn't help my situation. But I was thinking of a possible fix for you, if you're talking about playing your own music files in Plex. Forgive me in advance if you may already know about this.

Before I share, I will say the side effects can be annoying. And no... We're not doing drugs here. lol 

Within the Library settings of your Plex Server, under the Advanced settings of the music library of interest, there is a setting called "[] Store track progress". It's a checkbox. Just check that box and of course [Save Changes].

Now it should go back and play from where you left off. The trouble is that after making this change, if you stop listening to a track in the middle, and then listen to that track again sometime down the road, say a day, a week, or a year later, it will start from wherever that spot is. So this is why I leave that unchecked, and probably why you do too.

I mean, it's not that bad if you just remember to always leave a track playing from the beginning before leaving Plex. Anyway, I know it's all annoying. I do hope this can help you out a bit.

As for me? I'm beyond help. lol

I'm actually thinking about building a dedicated Plex Player box using Linux or maybe Windows. We don't need a Roku now that Plex made it so we can add streaming accounts within Plex itself. That's a BIG project and I haven't decided yet. Then again(fingers crossed), maybe the Roku people will see the error of their ways first. (Not holding my breath though) 

0 Kudos