Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithbutler
Reel Rookie

Re: Choppy Audio on OTA Channel

Have you tried the USB flash drive/pause/un-pause technique?  It works for me, albeit temporarily.  Each time I select the OTA with the choppy audio, I must pause/un-pause quickly to clear the choppy audio.  If you move to another channel, even within the same broadcaster's subchannels, you must repeat the PAUSE steps.

Steps:

Insert a blank USB flash drive into the TV.  16 GB, is adequate.  You may have to go through the TV's settings to get it to accept the inserted drive.

Select the OTA channel with the issue.

Press the PAUSE button TWICE, with just a short delay between the presses. (Looks like a R arrow with 2 vertical lines)

ecnzlmn
Channel Surfer

I’ve worked through every recommended solution.  The only one that works flawlessly is to attach an external tuner.  As of this morning, my old iKonvert digital continues to provide clean and clear audio on every channel on my TCL Roku SmartTV.  I’m convinced that the core issue is a conflict with the defective Roku digital tuner component.  I also have an older model Hitachi brand non-smart TV with an integrated tuner.  It also works just fine with great audio on every OTA channel.  I’m thinking that Roku needs to fix a compatibility glitch on their receiver element.

0 Kudos
ecnzlmn
Channel Surfer

It’s too bad that Roku has failed to dig deeper into this problem, avoided the issue, provided insufficient troubleshooting, and haven’t updated the software/equipment accordingly after over 2 years.

0 Kudos
ecnzlmn
Channel Surfer

Shouldn’t have to connect external devices and/or go through all the tricks just to get decent audio on local channels.

ecnzlmn
Channel Surfer

Especially after great dependability for several years prior.  I’ll definitely consider other options before buying another Roku device.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

It has come to our attention that various reports have been posted regarding this matter. We sincerely apologize for the trouble and inconvenience this may have caused you.

May we know if this behavior is also observed while accessing Live TV directly on The Roku Channel using the internet? If not, then we should also consider the frequency of the antenna as this may be the probable cause of the audio issues that you've been experiencing. It may be possible that frequencies are unstable thus the choppy audio. 

As mentioned here, you can use an external tuner to help you resolve this. 

Please be also aware that using an antenna while a Roku streaming player is plugged into the same TV isn't recommended as Roku devices are designed to display data received over an internet stream.  They have no tuners to handle over-the-air signals from a TV antenna. This is only recommended for Roku users who have Roku-branded TVs. 

We hope this clears everything out. If you have further queries, please don't hesitate to let us know so we can further assist. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
yort
Roku Guru

I don't know how I can be more clear. This problem relates to ONLY OTA (Over The Air) channels. The antenna is an RCA ANT754E and is compatible with all VHF/UHF signals. The issue must be software related because the problem started in just the last year or so on both of our Roku tv's. Maybe it's a compatibility issue with particular stations.

ecnzlmn
Channel Surfer

How would my antenna have a frequency issue if it works perfectly while attaching it to an external digital tuner, separate from your defective device?

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for clarifying, @yort.

In this instance, we will coordinate this with the appropriate Roku team for further review and correction. 

With this being said kindly provide us with the following details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Channels (stations) you've experienced audio issues.

In the meantime, we highly appreciate your coordination as we try to exchange further information regarding this matter. At this point, we will request further reinforcement from the relevant Roku team. 

We'll be anticipating your responses!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
yort
Roku Guru

@RokuCarly 

Here is the information:

The channel is WICS  in Springfield IL.