Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Choppy Audio on OTA Channel

Thank you for providing us with the requested details, @yort!

We have already forwarded your details to the appropriate Roku team for further review. Once we've been notified of updates, we will make sure to reply to this thread. 

We humbly request a little bit more of your patience as we work on this. 

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
yort
Roku Guru

@RokuCarly 

Thank You.

0 Kudos
yort
Roku Guru

@Tater5 

I sympathize with your problem, but that is NOT the same issue that I have described in this thread.  This is strictly an audio issue with certain OTA channels. It has nothing to do with Live TV Pause or USB drives. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Tater5
Binge Watcher

Sorry. Mine seemed related so I joined-in. My post was moved. I'll go there.

0 Kudos
Tater5
Binge Watcher

Yort, I just retired from nearly 40 years working in broadcast TV.

Digital TV is a funny animal. Much of the time it plays well. Sometimes not. Before digital came along, the TV channels were separated by unused spectrum, guard bands. With digital the full channel is used, 6 megahertz. This presents a challenge to the broadcaster. That 6 megahertz must be maintained but it isn't perfect. Under the right conditions, there can be interferrance. The FCC added to the problem with the Channel Repack. This compressed TV broadcast into less sprectrum. Also, weather plays into this. An approaching weather system usually creates a temperature inversion. This can reflect distant signals on the same channel to your TV. Needless to say, this will cause issues. A temperature inversion can happen on a daily basis as well. This happens mostly in the morning after sunup. I have seen these issues cause audio problems with little impact on the video. This may not help but is came to mind.

Now, to collect the data on my problem.

0 Kudos
87wagon
Reel Rookie

I've been following this chain since our Roku TV is behaving like several of yours -- choppy sound on one channel on OTA broadcasts. I thought the Roku guy (Carly?) sounded convinced that the problem was in their software and sounded like they were working on it. Has anyone heard anything from him. I'm not quite ready to buy a new TV, hoping they can fix it. If we do end up buying another, it will not use Roku technology, I hope they appreciate this looks like a real black eye for Roku. Ken

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @87wagon,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the experience it may have caused you. Please note that the team is hard at work investigating the issue; we still haven't received any feedback back as of the moment, but rest assured that we'll send the update once we have it.

In the meantime, please help us with the required details below so we can send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (This can all be found in Settings > System > About.)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Channels (stations) where you've experienced audio issues.

Please keep us posted with the details.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
yort
Roku Guru

I seriously doubt that Roku is going to solve this problem by just describing the issue through this forum. They seem to be oblivious to the problem anyway.  They need an actual Roku TV in front of them that has this audio issue. You can bet that thousands of other people are having the same issue. 

I would be willing to invite Roku to my home in Illinois to investigate. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @yort,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

The team is hard at work investigating the issue; we still haven't received any feedback back as of the moment, but rest assured that we'll send the update once we have it. In the meantime, you can contact our Roku Support team if you want to talk to one of our live representatives.

We appreciate your patience while we investigate this issue.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
87wagon
Reel Rookie

This is in response to a request by JechealR:

Model 5143X Roku TV

Serial number 2N001F566298 (924721566298)

Device ID 9247212566298

Software Version 12.5.5 * build 4174-08

ID 98-073-540

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos