Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Just got a brand new Roku tv, no option to change themes anywhere

0 Kudos
Gavo
Channel Surfer

Yeah just bought today, current update says 10.5.  Maybe I just gotta wait for some upcoming update?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Gavo  Keep looking for updates manually. Keep restarting it. If in a few days it doesn’t show up then contact TCL or return it to the store you purchased it from. But it should be there. It’s always there no matter what. Your Roku OS should be something like this 10.5.2 build 4138-CG

If I just bought something and it was missing a feature I knew was supposed to be there I certainly would not have bothered troubleshooting it. I wouldn’t have even joined a community and asked about it. I would put it back in the box and return it. The longer you have something the harder it is to return. Most stores have a 30 day return policy. after the 30 days you have to getting in touch with the manufacturer. If you just bought a brand new car and it had an engine knock would you bring it to a local mechanic to see what it was? No you would bring it right back to the dealership you bought it from. Same goes for your TV.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Gavo 

Roku rolls out updates slowly over a period of weeks. Some people have it already, and others won't get it for several weeks. It may show up today for you, or it could take until June, or any time in between.

Taking it back is bad advice. That TV will get the update, some time. And if you exchange it, the TV you exchange it with may not have the update, and it will get it some time. Just wait on it. Roku devices check for updates each night, and that device will get it some time.

Oh, and all of your devices won't necessarily get it at the same time. For example, OS 10.5 was announced in September. The first of my devices got that update in October, and the last one of them got it in December. Even devices with the same model number didn't get updates at the same time. The best advice is just wait.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  The longer you wait to return something the harder it is to return. This isn’t a $29 Roku Express. They bought a $200-500 TV that is clearly missing a feature that should be there by default. Returning it is the best and first option. So you think it’s best to wait a month or longer for Roku OS 11 to come to their TV? And what if it’s still missing the theme section? Now they are past the 30 day store return policy and would have to ship it back to TCL. That could take 6-8 weeks. Sitting around waiting that an update fixes it is not the answer. That could be months from now. The point is they spent several hundred dollars on a TV that’s missing a feature it should have by default. No troubleshooting needed. Put it back in the box and return it. 
if you bought a car and it was missing heated seats and it was supposed to have heated seats would you just wait and see if it magically appeared? 
sending a PM to Danny will only result in a copied and pasted response of “Settings/ system/ about. Danny doesn’t work for TCL or the store they bought it from. Danny we’ll just say the same thing contact TCL Since they are the manufacturer of it

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Gavo 

Do as you will.

Perhaps a PM to @RokuDanny-R would be even better advice.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Gavo

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number, 
-device ID
-software OS/version 
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gavo
Channel Surfer

Well the funny thing is that when I first booted up the tv it WAS there.  However after I had created my Roku account, poof, it vanished.  

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Gavo  How did you set this TV up? I have setup several Roku devices and Roku TV's. As part of the setup process you log into a Roku account or make one. The TV will not activate till it is connected to an account. So are you saying when you turned on your TV for the first time it went right to the home screen? Did you complete the setup? Look at the last step. After that you get to your home screen. Is this how you set it up? Can you walk us through all the steps? You can’t get to your home screen without making a Roku account or logging into one. 

Guided Setup

1. Insert batteries in the remote control
    • Your Roku TV remote control comes with a pair of matched batteries of the proper size. Open the back cover of the remote control and insert the batteries, observing the correct polarity as indicated inside the battery compartment.
    • Reattach the back cover.
  1. Turn on the TV
    • The standby indicator light below the TV screen should be ON, indicating that the TV has power.
    • Press Power power button on Roku TV remote on your Roku TV remote control. The standby indicator light will go OFF, and a moment later, you will see the TV’s startup screen. After a short wait, the first Guided Setup screen appears.
      • Note: If you want to use the text-to-speech screen reader, press Star star button on Roku TV remote four times quickly. The screen reader is only available in English.
  1. Choose a language
    • When your Roku TV powers on, the first screen will allow you to choose a language. All text and dialog within the Roku application will be displayed in the selected language.
    • Scroll up and down the list and press OK OK button on Roku TV remote on your Roku TV remote to choose a language.
      • Note: It is the responsibility of the channel publisher to translate their channel and some channels may not support your chosen language.
  1. Select a country
    • To make sure your TV has all features available in your country, select the country where you are using the TV.
  1. Select home use
    • Unless you are setting up your Roku TV for use as a store display, select Set up for home use.
  1. Connect your Roku TV to your network and the internet
    • Choose your wireless network from the list of available networks and enter your password. This is most often the same network you use to connect your computer or smartphone to the internet. If at first you do not see your network, select Scan again to see all networks. For more assistance, see help finding your wireless network and password.
    • If you want to see your password as you type, choose Show password. This can help prevent entering the wrong password. Remember, passwords are case-sensitive. Use the shift button shift key on Roku on-screen keyboard on the on-screen keyboard to enter a capital letter.
    • Once you enter your password and select Connect, your Roku TV will automatically connect to your network and the internet. Alternatively, you can get more help if you are unable to connect to your wireless network or the internet.
  1. Download the latest software
    • Once connected to the internet, your Roku TV will download the latest version of Roku OS software and then reboot.
  1. Create a Roku account and activate your Roku TV
    • To activate your Roku TV, it must be linked to a Roku account. Your Roku account stores information on which devices you own, and which channels you have installed, as well as your preferences and settings.
      • Note: There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account.
    • When prompted on screen, enter a valid email address to use for your Roku account, and then switch to your computer or smartphone to activate and link your Roku TV. Be aware that it may take a few moments to receive the activation email from Roku. If you do not see it in your email inbox, be sure to check your spam (or junk) folder. If you cannot get your Roku TV activated, learn how to resolve linking issues.
      • Note: Roku does not require an activation fee, or charge for support of any kind. Learn how to avoid fraudulent websites.
0 Kudos
Gavo
Channel Surfer

Oh, sure.  Does this suffice?

1D7ACD08-D06A-43FC-89EA-0EE72E8A382C.jpeg

0 Kudos