Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrock1963
Reel Rookie

Roku Plus Series USB Media Format (After Message Too Slow)

I wanted to set up my NEW Roku Plus Series for LIVE TV pause capability.

I plugged in a 64G USB 3.1 media stick and was prompted to format the USB memory stick.

The TV indicated formatting in-progress %'s and then showed complete.

However, once the formatting was 100%, the screen message indicated the USB memory stick was "TOO SLOW" and gave me the option to TRY again or CANCEL for formatting.

Questions:

1) What does it mean "TOO SLOW"?

2) What kind of USB memory stick works the Roku TV and is not "TOO SLOW"?

3) Is there a specific USB memory stick to purchase?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Plus Series USB Media Format (After Message Too Slow)

"Too slow" means that it can't write to it fast enough to keep up with the video.  I'm surprised your USB 3.1 drive isn't fast enough.  I was going to say to look for a USB 3.x drive, but you already have one.  What's the brand?  Maybe we can look it up to see if we can find the read/write speed that it claims.  I don't use Live TV pause anymore, but when I did I just used a cheap 16GB flash drive I had lying around and I was surprised when it worked.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mrock1963
Reel Rookie

ADATA UV128 / 64GB USB 3.1

It was a thumb drive I had...and it has been in use.  But I can't remember if it is currently formatted as FAT32 or NTFS.  Would this matter? 

I figured since the Roku TV was reformatting, the original format and content would not matter.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It doesn't get great scores in the benchmarks I've found, but I'm still a little surprised it isn't fast enough.  It can't hurt to format it and then try again, but as you said the Roku will reformat itself.  I'd probably try FAT32 and not a quick format.  I'd be surprised if it helps, but it's still worth trying.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TeedOff
Binge Watcher

i have same darn problem with my 64GB 3.0 (PNY).... if 3.0 doesn't work, I'm sure the heck not going to drop $$ (no matter how inexpensive) on another 3.x drive.  ROKU IS SO D-MN FRUSTRATING.