Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grammybabe

Re: OS 12.5 beginning rollout

Could this be why my screen on a TCL Roku TV has turned black? It will flash when turned on, the screen will show up for a moment, go off, come back on for a moment, and then the screen goes black again. I am not able to go to a settings screen. I have tried the reset button on the back of the tv, but it never takes me to the recovery screen. 

Model No 32S305

Serial No. 1805GTC002840AQ1365

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Grammybabe,

Thanks for your post.

We believe this could be a separate issue. If performing a hard reset on your device did not help, we recommend that you get in touch with the manufacturer of your Roku TV. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their Roku OS products, especially with issues concerning display (e.g., black screen). You can locate their support contact information here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV.

Let us know if you have other inquiries.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
azponyrider
Channel Surfer

@RokuJanadeeK  No. The problem is that the update goofed up the compatibility between my Roku Express+ and my TCL TV.  

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Sorry for the misunderstanding, @azponyrider.

We actually meant to mention another user in the above post.

No worries, we acknowledge your issue and have already collected the information you have provided. It was also forwarded to the appropriate Roku team. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ryeguy_24
Binge Watcher

Ok. On my TCL TV, Roku OS 10 broke CEC volume control. It finally fixed it in Roku OS 12 after 2 years. And now, 12.5 (build 4175) just broke it again! And now it seems like it’s not just volume - no control via CEC whatsoever (eg receiver doesn’t power and volume control doesn’t work). Guys, this is ludicrous. Find out what you are doing in the code base and test it out. I’m soon going to be done with Roku OS. I’ve waited years for you guys to fix bugs and now you just reintroduced it. 

iFrog
Roku Guru

@ryeguy_24 wrote:

Ok. On my TCL TV, Roku OS 10 broke CEC volume control. It finally fixed it in Roku OS 12 after 2 years. And now, 12.5 (build 4175) just broke it again! And now it seems like it’s not just volume - no control via CEC whatsoever (eg receiver doesn’t power and volume control doesn’t work). Guys, this is ludicrous. Find out what you are doing in the code base and test it out. I’m soon going to be done with Roku OS. I’ve waited years for you guys to fix bugs and now you just reintroduced it. 

I have a Roku Ultra (2022 model) 4802, and for the most part, it's been working as it should, had a few strange remote issues yesterday and it's the voice remote pro (non replaceable batteries)

The navigation was erratic, and volume was spotty, so pressed paring button to re-pair and that seems to have fixed the navigation, and I disabled the idle sleep function, so the Roku now simply goes into screen saver mode vs turning off after 20 minutes and this also seems to help keep it stable.

When it works, Roku devices typically work well, without much issue.  I've never owned a Roku TV.  I typically advise people to keep the TV and smart devices separate, but it's getting much harder to do that today.  Normally I would suggest to someone to buy a dumb TV, and any smart devices you want, buy separately so if you DO encounter problems, "such as you have" it won't affect everything.  In this case it sounds like this problem not only affects the Roku aspect of the TV, but anything else you want to do with it as well.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ryeguy_24,

Thanks for the post!

We're sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate your feedback about this. Could you share with us the device serial number of your TCL TV that has an issue. We'd like to take a close look.

We'll look forward to your update. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kjg25

My TCL Roku TV just completed the 12.5 update yesterday - and now every picture display has maximum motion smoothing. Even when I turn off all motion smoothing options in the "expert settings", my display is unchanged. Everything looks like an episode of Days of Our Lives. It is unwatchable - considering getting rid of the TV if this problem persists.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @kjg25,

Thanks for sharing the experience you've had with this issue.

May we know if the issue occurs with your other device as well? Also, have you already tried performing a system restart on your device?

Please keep us updated.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Johnh510

I had the update to 12.5.0 build 4178 yesterday on my Roku Express HD, and it has messed things up:

The Express does not appear to know what the TV resolution is when the Roku Express is in its faulty state, and outputs HDMI which my 1080p Panasonic TV cannot display properly - horizontal jitter enough to make the whole picture look a bit blurred at normal viewing distance, and occasionally a black bar at the top of the picture.

A software reset of the Express gets thing back to normal for a while (still early days, but will update if anything I haven't mentioned happens). 

Advanced display settings/system/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/auto-adjust display refresh rate

is still set to ON (has been on since I initially set it up 8 months ago.)

In settings/display type / auto.

There is a warning "Unable to detect the TV's resolution" on screen while the fault is present while in the "display type" menu setting.

Any ideas or comments?

0 Kudos