Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuperSapien64
Streaming Star

Pluto TV and YouTube having issues when exiting them.

After the May firmware update I've been experiencing issues with both the Pluto TV and YouTube apps/channels having bugs when exiting them. I'll start with the Pluto TV app whenever I exit the app it lags before it brings to the home screen and the YouTube occasionally when I exit the YT app it goes a black screen and nothing happens so I have to hit the home button to properly leave the app.

Has anyone else experienced any of these bugs?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Pluto TV and YouTube having issues when exiting them.

Hi @SuperSapien64,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with Pluto TV and YouTube. We're happy to help. Please follow these steps:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System Restart.

If the problem persists, please manually check for updates here.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SuperSapien64
Streaming Star

I unplug my Roku every four to seven days for 3 minutes, and I regularly check for updates manually.

It has something to do with the May firmware update.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SuperSapien64,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Does this happen to the Pluto TV and YouTube app only? If so, kindly follow the steps provided below:

• Remove the app/channel; press Home > Move to the right and highlight the channel you wish to remove > press Star* > Remove channel
  • Reboot your device's system: press Home > Settings > System > Power > System restart
  • Install the app/channel again: press Home > select Store > find the app/channel that you've removed > Add channel

Please be advised that this process needs to be done precisely for better outcomes.

If the issue is still persistent, please keep us posted, and we'll assist you further.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SuperSapien64
Streaming Star

I already tried that beforehand, no luck.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SuperSapien64,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We appreciate the efforts taken to resolve the issue. We would be more than happy to look into this issue, and we'll need more information. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur specifically on YouTube channel? If so, what version/build is the channel? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing.

Once we have this information, we will be to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bbattersby
Channel Surfer

I'm happy to step in and give you this info. 

I have unloaded, reloaded, the app, cleared cache (home button 5 times up button rewind, forward). I've reset Roku back to factory specs and reloaded all the updates.  Still same issue.  About 1/3 of roku live channels also don't load. Twice Prime has loaded saying "We experienced an error" in multiple languages.

Blank screen seems to also affect random channels like America's Test Kitchen and Tastemade on the Roku live, then four or five channels are fine, then the next two don't work. Spectrum app works flawlessly as does Vudu and Paramount. 

My internet is Spectrum 300 down / 20 up.  Ping time is 16s and I have no latency over 100 pings.  It happens on all of my Roku devices (1 Sharp roku TV, two express).  I also own two firesticks that are working fine.

Someone else was told by tech support that it was our ISP. But my sister has CenturyLink and is experiencing the same thing on 2 Roku devices.

Model 3941X2
S/N X02200RAW6KA
Software 12.0.0 Build 4184-E4
ID S0HAK29AW6KA

Tracking ID KA-289-565

The blank screen when loading Pluto started 7/17 and it affect that app and every channel on that app 100% of the time.

Hope that helps you fix this problem.

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@RokuTakashiI first reported a problem with the YT channel soon after the first OS 12 release and its yet to be fixed. And while I appreciate the request for a tracking ID, the exit problem does NOT happen every time the app is used. It seems associated with the length of time YT content is viewed, but even then, it may/may not exit properly. What's important to understand is after viewing content, exiting MAY result in a black screen and the only way to get back to the desktop is by pressing Home. The app updates have yet to resolve this either.

For reference I have a Roku Ultra 4800R, S/N X01000YC7LRJ running the latest build of OS12. I use a WIRED high speed connection so WiFi interference isn't involved. And while this is a minor issue, I feel its important Roku reports this to Google. Thanks

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos