Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

@debbielloyd03 wrote:

I can’t accept the terms they turned off my Roku box  so any suggests on how to accept the new terms w the Roku box turned off 

Roku cannot turn your device "off". What do you mean by that? Will it not even power up? If so, that's nothing that Roku could do. Check your power outlets, or however you are powering your Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
debbielloyd03
Reel Rookie

So what do we do now? My Roku player is disabled so there’s no place to accept even the new terms  because the Roku player won’t turn on at all to go no where on Roku 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

What do you mean by not turn on at all? A Roku player has no power switch. When it's plugged in, it's on. What do you see on your TV screen? If you unplug the Roku and plug it back in, do you see the Roku boot screen (the bouncing Roku logo)? 

Again, there's nothing Roku could do to make your device not start up. Would you included what model Roku device you are using? How is it powered? Plugged into the wall or a USB port on the TV?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

@debbielloyd03 wrote:

So what do we do now? My Roku player is disabled so there’s no place to accept even the new terms  because the Roku player won’t turn on at all to go no where on Roku 

What model of Roku currently is failing to turn on?

Do you own a multimeter?

0 Kudos
rayagreen
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

Not effing acceptable Roku.   I can't even use my Roku TV as a screen for other devices because of this.

I always preferred Roku because, early on at least, it was more platform neutral than other SmartTV OS's

Time to upgrade the TV anyway.  Not that Roku cares, but never purchasing their hardware (or services) again.  I truly hope that enough people feel the same so that the market punishes this insulting decision.

MrPink
Streaming Star

After ROKU started censoring channels I was interested in viewing, I vowed to never buy another ROKU device.  I bought NVIDIA boxes.

Now my remaining devices, which I use for limited, specific purposes, are held hostage.

Like someone else said, I never considered taking legal action against ROKU.  Now, I am looking forward to being part of the class-action.

Stick it, ROKU.

fladude
Streaming Star

What Roku has done,  from what I learned in business law is illegal.

It Sells Products ,TV,Box,Sticks and once sold its property of the buyer, its not Rokus property They use a persons own internet a Person, NOT ROKU pays for, one will be using free and Paid APPS to stream via Service like Hulu,Netflix,Freevee,Tubi
with their OWN Accounts that have nothing to do with Roku..UNLESS one is subscribing to such  THROUGH Roku account, otherwise roku has zero to do with directly subscribed to  services.

So Roku Demands Agree.. unless agree one no longer can access and use their PAID for PERSONAL EQUIPTMENT which is users Property, NOT ROKUS.

If Roku only had the Agree block to access Roku Channel, or access any service subscribing through ROKU not directly (Like Hbo Max via Roku) where one is in fact using Roku as a service.. their own Channel...services Subbing through Roku and paying Roku.. the block be legal.

However Roku took on to block totally any use of peoples TV,boxes,Sticks 
they paid for and bought, their propery not rokus. Roku has done something no different then ransomeware, Rokus acted like hackers but instead of paying $$$ to regain access to ones own property ones forced to click agree and give away legal rights.

The way Rokus acting I doubt any clicking agree to get back access to their very own property  would be held to the "agree" in any court, not way ROKU  has usurped peoples property blocking use of THEIR property unless agree to Rokus terms.

Rokus actions may well be violating State and federal laws including laws on computer crimes and hacking...basically our TV,boxes,sticks we OWN, NOT ROKU
have been "ransomwares" by roku

Roku just also likely destroyed their ability to sell future TV's boxes, sticks.

People will by smart Tv's that have no ties to Roku nor any including Amazon, Apple
and Streaming devices that also have  no ties to companys, just a device to over internet access streaming companys will be bought.

For sure any future purchasing of any Roku product is in doubt as far as I'm concerned.

MrPink
Streaming Star

I just want my money back, on every device in my possession.

Bsbs
Binge Watcher

Interestingly I found upon looking at other forum pages, that this “ROKU disabled players and TVs…” does NOT appear in the list of the available category labels. Meaning others are not seeing this 48 page thread. All who have posted here receive the replies via their email and falsely believe there are huge numbers of ROKU customers gaining the momentum. Sorry to inform you THAT is not the case. The individuals, including myself, entering comments here appear to all be “chasing our tails”. I urge everyone to create new entries with a label not appearing in the multi-paged list of labels below. Or your comments won’t be seen. 

Another matter has come to my attention. AMBER ALERTS AND SILVER ALERT NOTIFICATIONS ARE NOT ACCESSIBLE due to ROKUs deliberate action to prevent access to local news and emergency weather information on ROKU devices. 

REALLY, what more can be said about how horrific ROKU’s CORPORATE MORALITY, ETHICS, AND SOCIAL CONSCIOUSNESS IS THAT THEY BLOCK EMERGENCY NOTIFICATIONS DESIGNED TO AID IN THE SAFE RETURN OF ABDUCTED CHILDREN AND MISSING ELDERLY OR COGNITIVELY IMPAIRED??

Finally, I am receiving forwarded messages and comments by individuals posing as outraged ROKU customers. These messages allege they have initiated or will initiate L E G A L filings against ROKU or with ROKUs L E G A L  C O U N S E L. I know these are ROKU employee imposters as no legal action has been taken and in searching the web, there is NO MENTION OF ROKUs HORRIFIC ACTION TO LIMIT ACCESS TO CUSTOMERS who have ROKU devices. DON’T BE A PACIFIST OR APETHETIC! WE MUST ALL INDIVIDUALLY TAKE ACTION TO MAKE THIS PUBLICLY KNOWN! DO NOT RELY ON ANYONE ELSE.

fladude
Streaming Star

Theres Threads on what Roku has done in other forums other then This one, in tech, facebook, twitter, and others so no its not just limited to this forum and thread

0 Kudos