Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meyerovb
Binge Watcher

Use car mmi as Bluetooth headphone

Got a 4802 ultra on 11.5, can’t for the life of me get it to use my audi mmi as a Bluetooth headset. when searching for headphones it finds the mmi but the mmi can’t find it. Vice versa when searching for smartphones. Hopeless?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Use car mmi as Bluetooth headphone

@meyerovb 

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to assist you further.

Can you please provide us the exact steps you are taking to trying to connect through bluetooth to your Roku Ultra device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
meyerovb
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-R 

On the roku i go here

2022-10-11_19-47-26_606.jpg2022-10-11_19-48-00_402.jpg2022-10-11_19-48-07_151.jpg

Audi 2023 Q5 MMI add bluetooth device screen never shows the roku ultra when trying to pair as headphone, even if you refresh it

2022-10-11_19-45-26_481.jpg

Eventually it fails and I get this

2022-10-11_19-51-18_433.jpg

So I try finding a smartphone instead

2022-10-11_19-51-30_520.jpg

Now the Audi MMI finds the roku

2022-10-11_19-51-53_793.jpg

So I try to connect

2022-10-11_19-51-58_576.jpg

And it won’t work

2022-10-11_19-52-08_310.jpg

All the while the roku keeps just showing the same phone searching screen

2022-10-11_19-51-30_520.jpg

I even hail maryed it (yes i googled hail mary past tense just now) and searched for phone first so it would show up on the mmi, then searched for headphones so the roku would find the car, then pressed connect on both at once, no joy there either.

I’m a developer by trade, I’ve participated in the roku media player beta testing a few years back and contributed feature requests and bug reports that your dev implemented, happy to help again.  Feel free to send me some builds to test out.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@meyerovb

Thanks for the follow up and providing us images of what you are seeing on screen.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate. In the meantime, can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID,
-software OS/version 
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information we will be able to look into the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@meyerovb Your car cannot act as headphones. It's attempting to connect to your Roku as if the Roku is the speaker/headphones, which is not what it is capable of doing. Your car cannot act as a Bluetooth speaker. I'm unaware of any car that can do that. The car uses Bluetooth to connect to phones, tablets, and headphones. But it can't connect in the opposite direction. It doesn't work that way.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
meyerovb
Binge Watcher

@atc98092 

i connect my phone to my car's bluetooth, play a song on my phone, and listen to it on my car's speakers

i connect my phone to my headphone's bluetooth, play a song on my phone, and listen to it on my headphone's speakers

funny how that sentence works with either car or headphones in it eh?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Completely different Bluetooth protocols. Your car is using a media player function, which does include streaming the audio from the phone to the car. The Roku does not have the media player protocol installed/configured. The Roku is looking for a Bluetooth headset connection, which your car does not offer. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos