Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SofiaBaker
Reel Rookie

Using Roku Without Internet Connection Is it possible

Jump to solution

I recently purchased a Roku device and I'm wondering if it's possible to use it without an internet connection. I understand that most Roku features rely on an internet connection for streaming content, but I'm curious if there are any offline functionalities is  available.

I have a specific Question in mind where I would like to use my Roku device without an internet connection. How can I still access and use the basic features of Roku, such as navigating through the menu, adjusting settings, or playing locally stored media files?

I appreciate any insights or experiences you can share regarding this matter. Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
sofia 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Using Roku Without Internet Connection Is it possible

Jump to solution

Hi, @Countrykel111

It's always great to see new users around here in the Roku Community.

We understand your inquiry regarding streaming on Roku or using your Roku TV without a network connection. Kindly be informed that you can use your Roku TV just like a regular one such as connecting external devices including speakers, cable boxes, etc. You can also use a screen mirroring feature without an active network connection.

We hope this clarifies your concern.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Frankly I don't see how. If it's in fresh from the factory condition. You'd never be able to get it fully going without an internet connection. You'd get stuck in setup and never get to see any menus.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @SofiaBaker.

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us regarding your query about using your Roku streaming device without connecting to a network. We'd love to give you assistance towards this.

Roku streaming players and Roku Tv's need Internet access to stream content. They use wireless to connect to your home network, or you can choose a model that offers a wired Ethernet connector. 

Learn more from these links:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let us know and we'd be more than happy to continue assisting you.

All the best,

Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Poweruser3405
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This ia a neede feature. Lets say i want to use the Tablo app to access my Tablo device on the internal network without a WAN connection. This should be possible but the Roku will not stay connected to the WiFi unless it detects a WAN connection. If you connect while internet is available and then subsequently lose that WAN connection the Roku will stay connected to the wifi but if you are say in a RV and presently dont have WAN you should be allowed to connect to a WiFi network without a WWW internet connection to access content on the LAN.

0 Kudos
nicklegg
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After initial setup (so as long as you have the TV fully set up already) you can still use it as if it were a regular TV to connect external devices (Cable Boxes, Speaker System, etc). However, you will not be able to use any apps with the Roku TV and your functionality with the TV itself will be very limited.

0 Kudos
manniac
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Forget the streaming sticks without a internet connection, they are just little bricks, useless.

With internet connection, they are data collectors worse than anything else.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes you can… kind of. if your smart phone has data and more preferably an unlimited plan. Amazon sells HDMI adapters that would allow you to mirror what’s on your phone to TV… You will need to find a HDMI adapter that’s compatible to your phone. You will also need a HDMI cable. All you have to do it plug your phone to the HDMI cable and connect the HDMI cable to that and the TV. It’s not the best option but it’s better than nothing. 

0 Kudos
Guitargeebie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Carly

I think your response didn’t answer the question. 
I’m in a remote location in my rv with no internet. But I have a wireless wifi router in the rv as a local network disconnected from the internet. Can the Roku operate with the WiFi router and stream local devices (such as Tablo) in that local WiFi network? When I attempt to connect the Roku to the WiFi it hangs on the connect to internet step and does not complete its link to my local WiFi (not connected to internet). 

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Guitargeebie

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

To stream on any Roku device, it simply requires a network connection. If the Roku device is not able to connect, there might be a need to change some settings on your network specifically on the network router you currently have. Regarding that, it's best to reach out for support with the internet services provider or the router manufacturer for more details on how to successfully connect a device to their network.

If you have further concerns or inquiries, please let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Poweruser3405
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is clear many of you do not know what Tablo is or how it works and are also completely missing the conversation here about LOCAL networking......

Nevertheless.....the short answer is no, you cannot watch content hosted on a Tablo on your local network with Roku without a WAN connection. However, if you are able to get your local network on the internet via a wifi bridge and a phone hotspot then start the roku and then load the tablo app you can then disconnect the WAN connection leaving the internal LAN up and you will be able to use the Tablo app without a WAN internet connection until reboot. Roku will presistently complain about no WAN internet but it will work. The Tablo android app doesnt seem to have this same issue as the roku app as it lets you watch without a www connection and only a LAN connection. Hope ive explained it well enough for those not familiar with networking. 

0 Kudos