Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_M1
Reel Rookie

Please add support for numerics in your apps, devices, and remotes!

It's very frustrating to watch direct tv stream via a roku device and remote only to have to scroll through dozens a channels to to go from the 300s to the single digits (either way).  Come on, give us a number pad so we can go there directly!  Build in support into the software and devices and offer an optional remote with this capability.  I have an hold harmony remote that supports direct numeric inputs and works great with a direct tv streaming box to jump to channels directly.  Even with a harmony remote and a roku device, it doesn't recognize numeric inputs from the remote.  Just add this feature into the firmware, allow apps to use it like pluto, and direct tv and optionally offer a remote with numerics!  If I watch directv, the best experience is on their box unfortunately vs using the direct tv app and a roku device because I can jump around quickly!

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
6E616D65
Streaming Star

Re: Please add support for numerics in your apps, devices, and remotes!

They have a remote now where you can press one button and say "channel 300". Unfortunately to change channels, you have to press the button again and say "home". Or reach for the home button instead, I guess. Then you can press the mic button again and say channel whatever.

They need to tweak their voice commands in software, rather than add a bunch of legacy number buttons in hardware.

0 Kudos
lenf67
Reel Rookie

Re: Please add support for numerics in your apps, devices, and remotes!

Hear, hear! I'm having the same problem with Spectrum's app. I got a Roku Ultra so I could ditch the cable box and the outrageous fees. I even bought a programmable universal remote to have the number buttons. It's a pain to have to call up the guide, scroll, press "OK", even just to move to the next channel up or down. Much faster and easier just to press a couple of numbers. Zap—you're there! But then, I'm one of those unhip old (50+) fogies who remember how TV used to be. We didn't have as many networks, but it was way simpler to figure out and use. And no, I don't care to talk to my TV, either. I'd feel like an idiot.