Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote drains batteries way to fast

Jump to solution

I am going through batteries at an alarming rate and I want to know what Roku plans to do about it because I wasting money on batteries now. They need to send something for new batteries or updated remotes because it is not ok going through 24 batteries between two remotes in the span of 3 months. I have two 4k streaming sticks. Their remotes are stealing the soul of all my batteries.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: remote drains batteries way to fast

Jump to solution

We're grateful to have you here in the Roku Community, @TomHardy!

Thank you for sharing your input about the issues you've been experiencing with your Roku remote, and we apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. No worries! We're here to provide further information about this. 

Before we proceed, may we know what specific Roku remote (Identify your remote) you have? Is this the remote that comes with your Roku player (kindly specify)? 

Nevertheless, Roku remotes are designed to go the distance, but there are a few things that will drain a remote a bit faster:

• Heavy usage of private listening on the remote itself--using the mobile app will save your batteries!
  • Congested Wi-Fi network around the device--the reason for this is that most remotes will use RF to connect to your Roku player and constant reconnection will use more battery.
  • Or viewing lots of short-form content, like YouTube, where a streamer could go through a few hundred button presses in an hour.

By the way, we also offer the Voice Remote Pro, which is a rechargeable remote with private listening, voice search, and voice commands, two programmable shortcut buttons, and a lost remote finder, and you'll never buy a pack of batteries again. It also comes with the latest Roku Ultra and the Plus Series Roku TV made by Roku.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BobHATEROKOO-

Are your remotes simple infrared remotes (control Roku functions only) or are they WiFi remotes (microphone for voice commands and tv power/volume/mute buttons) that are paired to the Rokus they control?

For WiFi remotes, there is some evidence that one cause of battery drain can be use of a router channel that is crowded by nearby routers and devices using the same channel.  This is more likely to be a problem in the more heavily used 2.4 GHz wifi band that is also used by bluetooth and other functions than in the 5 GHz band.  It's been suggested that the remote may have to work too hard constantly sorting through the information packets from other devices using the same channel such that it accelerates the battery drain.

If you have access to your router's setup, try configuring it to use a different WiFi channel to see if this helps the situation. If you are connecting in the crowded 2.4 GHz band, channels 1-11 are supported. Channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap each other and so give you the best chance at reducing congestion, so try each in succession, although depending on what channels your neighbors are using, other channels in the 1-11 range may work best. Also, reducing router bandwidth from 40 to 20 kHz may also reduce interference.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
thejimmer
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

why in the world would a customer want to jump through hoops for Roku-- why doesn't Roku fix the **bleep** matter-  to me this is poor customer service from a company- this issue has been known and yet nothing from Roku - these devices should be considered under the Lemon Law

thejimmer
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am assuming the big brains at the corp office know about this issue - they know is a glitch in their device and its  not worth their time and effort to fix it - the device I was having issue with  is the head phone remote which was burning thru batteries every 2 weeks -- I assume even if you not using the device remote its aways in the active mode as long as the ruko device is plugged in and on--thats means the remote is aways active thus battiers are being drained from the energy - I was releasing the batteries from being active every time I quit using the ruko device - I have another remote- no headphone plug in and their was not a issue-

0n the remote with the head phone plug in- I now use my phone 0nly - no more  battery being used 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@thejimmer, if you leave headphones plugged into the remote even when you're not using it, it will drain the batteries.  It shouldn't if you don't.  I have multiple remotes with headphone jacks, but I never use private listening or voice control for that matter and I've never had the battery draining problem.  Maybe I'm just lucky.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TKing
Reel Rookie

Batteries constantly draining from Roku remote

Jump to solution

I bought a new Roku 4 because my TV wasn't a smart TV. Since November I've gone thru 10 batteries. Seeing other posts is wide spread problem. Apparently the only way to get Roku to notice you is posting on here. So please someone from support contact me. This is really a pain. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Batteries constantly draining from Roku remote

Jump to solution

Hi @TKing,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand the concerns regarding your Roku remote's fast battery consumption.

Please be advised that battery life will vary based on usage. For normal use, the remote batteries may last two months or longer. Do your Roku remotes support private listening?

In addition, could you please provide the serial number of your Roku device that came with your Roku remote?

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your needs. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ricardo77

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem and bought a new Roku remote this one didn’t drain batteries but the left arrow stop working making the remote useless 

Roku should open a window to exchange all remotes with new ones and stand up and backup their product 

0 Kudos
thejimmer
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

you will not get a positive answer back from Ruko on their poor devices - their answers will be the same mindless scripted answer- 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Ricardo77,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for your report about this remote issue and we're sorry for the inconvenience about this.

We'd like to help you out and I've sent you a PM regarding this.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos