Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phlume
Streaming Star

Add GridScreen and Categories to developer channel

I have been a dirct publisher for about 4 years now and with the new protocol of sunsetting the DP program, I am now learnign to code a channel form the ground up. I have used the course to some extent and poked around with the master example git (https://github.com/rokudev/scenegraph-master-sample/tree/master) but I am having some difficulty iimplementing all of th ecomponents and UI elements into a single channel.

A few questions that seem left unanswered that are troubling me:

1) Am I supposed to have a single manifest document at the top of the .zip I sideload into my device? ...I see different manifest files in each of the folders within the git example, but should I move all of that code into a single manifest file in the root?

2) I have categories assigned within my json feed, but they ar enot appearing in the test channel. i only see a single row of "series" or "movies", but no seperate categories. With the DP program I simply added the categories for the content as I see fit, and the videos were sorted according to those settings.

3) I see some duplicated content in the folders for the different examples. If I want to use the GridScreen, and the Episode Screen, do I need to include all examples of the folders in the components? the GridScreen folder is in both the GridScreen and the Episode; do I include it twice?

There seems to be a lot of confussion on these boards and some mixed messages form Roku, and holes in the documentation... is there a complete example that might be availbale from the community that we could review as a clean example without all the fluff?

17 REPLIES 17
DH67
Reel Rookie

Re: Add GridScreen and Categories to developer channel

I am experiencing similar issues. The categories aren't displayed so all content is separated into a series row or movies row. The only other rows I can display are tvspecials and shortformvideos. I have tried a variety of sample channels and that is the best results achieved.

I've tried editing the feed as well without success. The tutorials aren't as clear as I had hoped for a novice. Hopefully as more people encounter this issue we might get an answer.

0 Kudos
phlume
Streaming Star

Agreed. I too only see labelled complete rows, and not items separated by category. I've reviewed premium channel examples (Disney+, Amazon etc) and though they have a team of highly qualified developers working on theirs, they can execute why I am looking to do, so it is possible. I'm just concerned that I may need a team of highly qualified developers 🤔

0 Kudos
DH67
Reel Rookie

I've tried a variety of the sample channel templates but have only found the rdp to scenegraph template to be without malfunctions. The tool developed by Baradanikto seems promising but has some bugs like duplicate posts and remote buttons stop responding. The rdp to scenegraph template uploads fine in the developer application installer but when trying to covert it I revceive the message 'failed to parse manifest file.' I have been unable to identify the issue, curious if others have experienced this.

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

The tool developed by Baradanikto seems promising and I been testing it. Its not complete or finished and he told everyone its not ready for Roku certification yet! I am positive about it as its parsing the categories and feeds well for me. I started static testing the. output files and reporting back on github as requested! The software is as is and in developement and I have found and reported some code changes and if you want you support him come over to github on his page and report your testing and results!

Now the tempale here shared with how to add categories to the scenegraph template works well too as long as you can manually add those categories and want to play with the code! I found it to work well to and thought it to be a good contribution!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
0 Kudos
DH67
Reel Rookie

I am definitely less than a novice when it comes to coding and wish I had something to contribute. I really appreciate the contributions of the developer community, it's relieved much of my concerns I had after hearing of direct puplisher being sunset.  Haven't had much luck manipulating the code. Still stumbling in the dark but feeling like I might figure it out. I would wager a solution will be provided before I discover one myself.

0 Kudos
SacDev72
Channel Surfer

Have you had these questions answered?

Did you get it figured out?

Please share what you've learned. I am a new "Roku" Developer and have the same exact questions. The example shows a lot of duplicate code, and I was wondering if that was necessary. That's not how I would code it but I am trying to duplicate the file structure exactly like the sample thinking that's how it needs to be? 

0 Kudos
jsonnentag
Streaming Star

Still no answers from Roku or anything of best functional value from anybody else.  Same problems and lack of DOCUMENTATION exist.  There is still nothing in the "Direct Publisher to SDK Conversion Guide" about CATEGORIES!

It was (other than graphics for stuff) the MAIN functionality of Direct Publisher but there is no documentation on how to replicate it during a conversion!

In the words of Joe Biden . . . COME ON MAN!

0 Kudos
jsonnentag
Streaming Star

Looking at the JSON feed in the "scenegraph-master-sample" I now wonder if the JSON for Direct Publisher is NOT what SceneGraph can use.  I tried finding a JSON feed for Roku SDK specification but all I find is the Direct Publisher one.  Since it is specifically labeled as being for Direct Publisher does it include things that SDK examples CANNOT USE?!  (Such as the Categories functions!)

Some actual statements from ROKU seem to be in order, since all the "Categories" in the GridScreen example in the master ZIP have every "Named Category" in a different sub-list under the heading of the "Specific Category Named" in the JSON feed.  So they don't use any Category functions to compile and sift and sort the feed contents based on TAGS for listing in the rows/categories displayed.

If they actually wanted to be helpful (which the obviously DON'T!) they would just publish the Roku Channel SDK so people can see what they do on their own stuff.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@jsonnentag Have you tried using the wizard tool I wrote?  It was designed to relieve the stress of converting from DP to SceneGraph.  And, yes, it will parse your feed file according to your defined categories.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos