Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AbhiK
Streaming Star

Background Images and other images not visible for OS 12

Hi,

Recently, we updated our Roku device to OS 12 and after the update, we are facing some issue with many of our game applications.

The background images on homescreen and some other png images are not visible in the application for devices having OS 12, but the same is correctly visible for Roku devices having OS 11.5.

Is anyone else facing this issue?
Is there any solution for this or anything that we need to update to make it work correctly for OS 12?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Background Images and other images not visible for OS 12

I haven't seen this myself, but can grasp at a few straws:

what filesize are your images? 

Are you generating the fields dynamically with brs code or are the heights and widths hardcoded in XML?

aspiring
0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

You may need to specify the loadSync field to be true for posters that you set to files that are downloaded to /tmp and then deleted.  The timing of when the image is loaded changed with 12.0, and if you do the download, set, delete dance without sync set, the poster may not try to decode the image until after the file is gone.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/references/scenegraph/renderable-nodes/poster.md#fields

AbhiK
Streaming Star

Hi @RokuBen@joetesta 

Thanks for the response.

We are not downloading and storing images in /tmp.
Images are in our images folder.

We have several apps that got affected by it. These all are gaming applications.

Also, the background images that are not visible on OS 12 are set in "m.top.backgroundUri".

We are creating roScreen and roSGScreen. roScreen is created to keep the app open once Ads play and exit in mid of game.
If roScreen is not used, app kills once the Ads play because roSGScreen closes.
Therefore, we use roScreen to prevent such situation.

Here is the sample code for it:

m.facade = CreateObject("roScreen")
m.screen = CreateObject("roSGScreen")
m.port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
m.screen.setMessagePort(m.port)

There were no such issues with any of the earlier Roku OS since last 5 years.

Please let us know if there is anything we are missing that changed in this OS 12 update.

Thanks

0 Kudos
stanislaw_busza
Binge Watcher

Yes, i faced same problem. But its nature seems random. We load images from package.

What is funny most time Poster works (9/10) and sometimes (1/10) image is not shown. There is no difference in fields of the Poster (no errors, etc).

RALE show also correct URI and other fields of Poster.

Also, when screen saver enters screen, and i close it - bug fixes by itself. Looks like BUG in ROKU OS.

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Are the images you're using fairly large?  I could see there being an issue with the texture memory allocation for the decoded picture causing random problems, which also would vary by device and the device's current set of loaded images.

0 Kudos
stanislaw_busza
Binge Watcher

No, it was rather small (61x61) and use a 9patch image (resizable button background).

0 Kudos

I'm seeing the same issue across all of my channels. Has anyone narrowed down what is causing this?

In my case, it is also in the package and I have tried all sort of variations with the image (png, jpg, super small file consisting of a single color, different sizer, etc...). 

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

If it's published, can you post the name of your channel so we can look from the Roku side?

0 Kudos
stanislaw_busza
Binge Watcher

It is even sometimes visible on Roku HOME screen, where you choose application:
bug.jpg

0 Kudos