Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

Developing on A Different Device...question regarding Packaging

Several years ago I had a SDK channel. Then, I converted it to Direct Publisher because at the time I didn't know how to code the changes I needed. Now, this channel is being converted back to SDK from DP.

I have the original Dev ID and Password and an old zip file from when it was originally an SDK channel.

I need to convert this channel over to SDK from direct publisher using a different ROKU device. I don't recall developing on this newer device but I have sideloaded channels for testing. When I go to the web and type in the IP address of the newer ROKU device the Packager does not have a Dev Id and Packager is not clickable. So perhaps this is because I must not have developed on this device? Honestly, I don't recall actually sideloading and packaging on this newer device and I guess if I had it would be showing a dev ID on packager. 

I am trying to find out the correct steps to package the new SDK. If I REKEY does this mean it assigns the package a new dev ID and password? Guess I'm confused on what exactly REKEY does ie rekeys the package or rekeys the new device so I can continue to use the original dev ID and password.

What are the steps when having to change to a different ROKU device for developing. My other device is old and not able to handle the SDK so I can convert the DP channel back to SDK with a new SDK of the channel.

I may be making this a lot harder than it is. I'm just confused since there is no Dev ID on the  packager page.

Thank you for clarifying.

http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
speechles
Roku Guru

Re: Developing on A Different Device...question regarding Packaging

Pretty sure you need to have the PKG rather than the ZIP. The PKG is what you would upload to the Roku store. Pretty sure it needs to be the signed PKG, along with the password. Then it would REKEY your device to the dev-id contained inside the PKG. So you can have all your Roku devices sign the same way. So that any of the devices can be used to generate a PKG to deploy with the same password.

Check if you can find any version of the PKG which is signed correctly with that dev-id/password and you can then reassign a new PKG to upload to the Roku store and repurpose your old application. Otherwise there is no way. You may be out of luck.

-- When I go to the web and type in the IP address of the newer ROKU device the Packager does not have a Dev Id and Packager is not clickable.

edit: You may be able to log into your Roku account and manage channels. Then find that old channel and download the PKG. It should let you do this. Then if you know the password you are in. That would work.

That is because you have not ran GENKEY or REKEY on your device. It is not assigned a key yet. You cannot package until you have done either/or.

newchannel
Roku Guru

I think I have one of the old packages and I have the password.

What is the process to upload it to a new roku device that has no dev id on it? Upload the package file, enter the password and hit "REKEY" or "INSPECT"?

Or, do I need to telnet into the newer roku device?

I think the rekey is also what gets me confused. When you rekey a roku device is it only making a change on the device itself and not the package?

Thanks for helping. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@newchannel wrote:

Upload the package file, enter the password and hit "REKEY"

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^.  You should get "Success!" as a response.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
newchannel
Roku Guru

Thank you for the info on uploading an old package.

Curious to learn...Does the rekey with the old package upload

1. assign a dev id to the new roku device?

or

2.  does the new roku device accept the package and the dev id of the old package becomes available on the new roku device?

Trying to understand the process since no dev ID is on this newer roku.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

First, the new Roku device must be setup w your Email address you use for your developer account! Once connected you can use that device to connect and package!

Next, you have to Run Putty to get a new user ID and Password

Next, you can rekey the old package or use the new package and create the new encrypted package with the new id and Password!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
renojim

@ferdiworks wrote:

First, the new Roku device must be setup w your Email address you use for your developer account! Once connected you can use that device to connect and package!

Not true.  I routinely use devices linked to different accounts.

@ferdiworks wrote:

Next, you have to Run Putty to get a new user ID and Password

Also not true.  You can rekey on a device that has never had an ID and password generated.

renojim

@newchannel wrote:

2.  does the new roku device accept the package and the dev id of the old package becomes available on the new roku device?

Yes, rekeying on a new device will update the Dev ID on the new device.  It will go from having no Dev ID to the one associated with the package.  You just need the password associated with the pkg file.  I don't bother keeping track of Dev IDs.  I've never had a use for them.

newchannel
Roku Guru

I uploaded an old package from when the channel was originally an SDK channel. (it was SDK, then DP and now going back to SDK)

I signed in on the newer device using the dev email account as I originally used to develop the channel.

Since I have the password, I uploaded the old package, typed in the password and clicked "rekey" and got the "Success" message and on the dashboard where it did say "no dev ID" now has the "packager" clickable..

Thank you all for your time and help. Much appreciated!!

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

@renojim

If you are going to reply to a post for the people seeking help then break it down for them!

You wrote: Not true.  I routinely use devices linked to different accounts.

Hence: you have different developer accounts with different email addresses and linked devices to them! Just like what my point was given!

You wrote: Also not true.  You can rekey on a device that has never had an ID and password generated!

While you can rekey on any device you still need the password that was once generated or used or you have to run Putty!

The point is that not everyone who comes here has the same level of knowledge and the basic steps are recommended for the process! Some want advanced knowledge and understanding of it!

And not everyone comes here to point fingers saying it's not true instead of seeing or understanding the WHY!!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
0 Kudos