Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cocotower
Roku Guru

Need to monetize using video ads

I see numerous run-of-the-mill third-party channels that have video ads every so often.  These aren't commercial channels.  Therefore I highly doubt their viewership is in the millions.  The last time I tried to set up google video ads I think there was a ridiculous requirement for the audience or viewing hours.  With these kinds of restrictions I don't know how the small guys ever learn how to integrate video ads.

Any of my test channels simply run Roku commercials when the ads come up.  Years back when Roku was rather new, my first Direct Publisher channel automatically ran ads.  I remember seeing car commercials, home products, the typical commercials.  I never got paid a penny, but I wonder what prompted Roku to approve video ads for a brand new channel.  This was before the "ad apocolypse", though.

So, I know some of you in the forums may have channels that run video ads and you may or may not get revenue (I hope you do), and I'm asking you to reveal your secrets from the company you use, what they required, how long it took for them to approve, and if it was just a matter of inserting their "ad URL" into the RAF.ads() function.

Why does this have to be so secret or hard to implement?  I've seen posts in the past saying "it just happens automatically" if Roku approves ads.  So I assume you run your channel for years with zero revenue hoping that Roku approves the video ads to appear?

Somebody just please give some clues to what you did you get the ball rolling.

1 REPLY 1
cocotower
Roku Guru

Re: Need to monetize using video ads

NOBODY KNOWS.  Let the record show that nobody knows how to monetize their channel with video ads.  I know that with Fire TV, Google TV, Android TV, Onn, the Android-based systems, you can use PayPay's AdMob to show video ads Quite Easily.  Does Roku allow this?

0 Kudos