Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cocotower
Roku Guru

Payout Settings update nightmare

I'm frustrated. Please for the love of God fix your broken developer dashboard. Why are you making it almost impossible to update our Payout Settings? The Payout Settings update process is totally Broken and needs to be fixed immediately as a kind service to all your channel developers/associates who are going to be burdened severely if you withhold 30% for the IRS when we already have professionals that do our taxes. Additionally, I can't enter my IRS Tax ID which is NOT a SSN/Social Security Number. This is a business. When entering our IRS EIN, it appears with hyphens on the Roku form as a SSN which is quite scary.

I use Paypal to receive payments from this account. It just works. Now the form says to click on the PayPal button to start the verification process. I click it, then a page appears LOGIN WITH PAYPAL [CONTINUE]. I click CONTINUE then a dialog appears LOGIN AS ROKU ASSOCIATE, OR ROKU SUPPLIER. I run numerous channels, so I assume I'm an associate. Great. I click on ROKU ASSOCIATE, then I get YET ANOTHER page saying LOGIN WITH ROKU ACCOUNT, or LOGIN WITH E-MAIL/PASSWORD. You know, what's the difference, Roku? Really, please tell me. So I click LOGIN WITH ROKU ACCOUNT, but then up pops the Microsoft Azure login screen. What in the world?? I try to log in using an existing Microsoft account of mine with the same e-mail as my Roku account, and it bombs out every time with a screen from Microsoft saying that the account does not exist in Roku tenant. And why would it? I've with been Roku for years and never went through Microsoft for anything.

So I go back and try to LOGIN WITH E-MAIL/PASSWORD, with my ROKU credentials which I know are correct. Boom, locked out after 3 failures. So Roku is making it hard to update what is ALREADY CORRECT for my PayPal payments. I don't understand what is happening here, but it's nerve wrecking to say the least.

28 REPLIES 28
OddScott
Roku Guru

Re: Payout Settings update nightmare

I have had similar problems. Multiple go-arounds with trying to update the payment information, emailing partnersuccess, then wash, rinse, repeat. After much struggling to get my EIN entered and "validated", now it won't "validate" the PayPal account, and prompts me to contact PayPal to make sure that my information is correct. I'm thinking that the Roku logic wants all of the physical addresses to match - the street address the Roku has for the Dev account, the street address the IRS has for the EIN, and the address that PayPal has. I'm still stuck on "verifying" the PayPal account and the helpful response I got back from partnersuccess was to use a different PayPal account.

www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
cocotower
Roku Guru

The problem was the web browser.  Firefox is required for the developer forums (for me), but Microsoft Edge was required to update Payout Settings.  Otherwise, I'd get INSUFFICIENT PERMISSION when using Firefox.

I feel like Roku owes me debugging compensation, but I digress.

0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

I've only tried Chrome & Firefox on Roku's website. I'll give Edge a try. Thanks.

www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
GoFlow_Streamin
Channel Surfer

This is INSANE! In trying to update my payout settings (as requested by Roku) I am now unable to edit any of my payout settings and I am currently NOT enrolled in the payout program. I use Firefox and NEVER had this problem before with Roku.  What the freakin' **bleep**?!!!  Is there no solution available? Anyone? Bueller?

GoFlow Streaming TV
0 Kudos
cocotower
Roku Guru

Microsoft Edge worked for me. You've got a few months time, so don't panic.

0 Kudos
GoFlow_Streamin
Channel Surfer

It's not a browser issue I'm experiencing. The ROKU site indicates Entity and Tax Info don't match but there's only an option for editing the Entity info - which is freakin' correct already, nothing has changed - and no option to check or change the Tax Info - which should also be freakin' correct already.  I've been happily part of the Developer Payout Program for years now and never had this issue. I'm sure it's a problem with their chosen 3rd party provider but all the same, the lack of access to immediate support is a BIG problem for ROKU - I now have subscribers who can't access my channel because I have been automagically un-enrolled in the Payouts Program - all because I tried to fill out the forms with the same information ROKU has been using for years.  It's untenable. What happens when I finally get the tax info sorted out? Do I have to go back to my subscribers and beg them to sign up - again? I hate this.

GoFlow Streaming TV
0 Kudos
cocotower
Roku Guru

You can say it's not a browser issue if you want, but I urge you to take my advice and try Microsoft Edge.  The Edit buttons should then start working.  I went through this, and while my payout program was temporarily unenrolled for a few days, I saw no interruptions for any of my channels.  When you do get the forms working , yes it's still complicated in a few places like fighting the Roku push to withhold 30% God forsaken percent from earnings on top of an already absurd 20%.  You have to demand that you're exempt.

0 Kudos
cocotower
Roku Guru

An update would be nice, GoFlow.  Any luck?

0 Kudos
StevenEsqTwo
Binge Watcher

I thought I was the only one. 

I went through that entire nightmare a few weeks ago.  Tried changing from PayPal to direct deposit.  Ran into the same tax issue as well.  I did manage to work everything but I wish I could recall how I solved it!  I'm usually a font of good information 🙂  

Veteran Publisher
0 Kudos