Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremywhcc
Reel Rookie

Sideloading - Installing App Please Wait

I'm trying to side load various test channels and it won't go past the screen Installing Application, Please Wait.  I have no issues side-loading the helloworld.zip file but anything else I try won't install.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Sideloading - Installing App Please Wait

How have you built the application you are trying to load?

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
jeremywhcc
Reel Rookie

I've tried installing the template that is given by Roku for transitioning from direct publisher to scene graph as well as some other pre-made templates for testing.

Here is the link to the one I have been using.

https://github.com/rokudev/scenegraph-master-sample

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Are you trying to sideload the whole scenegraph-master-sample-master.zip file?  That file contains many examples that you have to build/zip before you can sideload them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
philanderson777
Roku Guru

So for example you can isolate just these files only for the video sample

https://github.com/rokudev/scenegraph-master-sample/tree/master/VideoPlayer

if you zip just those files and subfolders/files that should be accepted by the Roku TV

Don't include the parent folder in the zip (VideoPlayer) but just the files within the folder, and below.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
jeremywhcc
Reel Rookie

I took just that video player folder and zipped it. Tried to upload and same thing happens: "Installing Application, Please Wait..."

0 Kudos
philanderson777
Roku Guru

interesting.  did you zip the videoPlayer folder or highlight the contents inside the folder and zip that?  the latter is the correct course of action

0 Kudos
jeremywhcc
Reel Rookie

I have tried both with no success. Again I have no problem with the basic hello-world.zip folder so I know I'm having some success side loading, it is just any other folder I try doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

That message can indicate that the code is trying to load a feed file and has thrown an error.  Don't assume that the Roku samples are error-free.

If you have a valid content feed file, you may want to try the Wizard software I've written to create a channel.  It's available from the GitHub site in my signature.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
philanderson777
Roku Guru

do you have the actual zip file you are running and can you post it here? thanks.

0 Kudos