Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

What determines the category order in scenegraph?

What variables determine the order of the categories in scenegraph?

The categories parse but I need to change the order of them. How can I do this? In what file of the package is this controlled?

I've made changes to RootHandler.brs to add category names and have them coded in the json with categories and playlists. I can get the categories to show up but cant get the order I need.

Thank you in advance for all input.

http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
cocotower
Roku Guru

Re: What determines the category order in scenegraph?

Are you saying that the order of the categories within the JSON file are how you want it, but after parsing the order is different?  If so, is the new order alphabetical, random, reversed?  If the order is incorrect in the JSON file, try doing the rearrangement there.

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

Instead of using Category tags and playlist try Cateories with queries

"categories": [{"name":"Newest Programs","query":"newest-programs","order":"most_recent"},
{"name":"Featured","query":"roku-featured","order":"most_recent"},{"name":"Documentaries",
"query":"documentaries","order":"most_recent"},
{"name":"Short Videos","query":"short-videos","order":"most_recent"}, 

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@newchannel the order of the Categories is going to be dependent upon what the code expects and the algorithm it uses to construct your channel. I have no idea what the code you are using expects.

Now, I can tell you that the code produced by the DPtoSceneGraph wizard assumes you have defined your Categories in your feed file. If you have valid Categories, the code will display them in a grid in the order they appear in the feed file.

If the order is not to your liking, you can use the Channel Feed Manager software in my signature below to change them.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Sorry for the delay in replying back.

I was having a problem with my json feed and got it figured out. The json feed from my DP was not converting properly and series / episodes wasn't working. When I started using query and changed the content sections titles it started working.

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

Thats good to hear that the query method worked for you. I have worked with many feeds and Category tags with playlists is the most used for tvSpecials while the Categories and Queries work best for shortform videos, movies, and series and episodes!

OnDemandTV
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

ferdiworks,

Thanks to tons of help from you!!

I still need to add content to the json feed. The feed I have playing on DP, that feed did not transfer over for me for the series/episodes. I tried the json feed that I have been working on using the query and that feed worked for series/episodes. Wasn't able to just take the DP json feed, plug in the url and have it add all of the categories and content. Was hoping I could of just plugged in the url of the feed and have everything showup on the roku just like the DP channel displays. Regardless, at least I have an option now to redo the json and get content changed over to the sdk.

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

email me the feed link and let me peek at it to see why.

OnDemandTV
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@newchannel Or, you can load the feed file into the Channel Feed Manager software and try to validate it. It will report any problems it has found.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.