Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Feed Status no longer in Dashboard?

So, when updating a new json feed on the server side, using the same url, in the past with DP I would click on the Feed Status property in the Direct Publisher channel to view the status or any errors.

It seems that is no longer there. Is this moved, or is there a way we can view the feed status?  (It used to give errors & messages like "Title 017: No duration listed" or something, just a convenient way to ensure it all took properly.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

Re: Feed Status no longer in Dashboard?

Roku has Sunset Direct Publisher and is suppose to be removing All Direct Publisher channels that were not converted to SDK Scenegreaph by Jan 12th 2024. Notice goes back to July 2023 about Rokuy Sunsetting Direct Publisher!

Direct Publisher is no longer supported!

However, you can take your JSON feed link and use it to create an SDK Channel!

Check the Roku Developer Forum for info and software that can help!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Right, so with that 'Feed Status' goes away?   It was a pretty handy tool saying '99 out of 100 titles ingested successfully' or whatever.

Do we use the Feed Validator now or something?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@37mediagroup You can use the Channel Feed Manager tool to validate your feed file.  Unlike other validators, it checks for JSON syntax AND logic errors.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Thanks, yeah I did use that to redo my coding a while back.  If ever I add one or two videos I sometimes just copy & paste a previous show and update the links & titles.  It was a quicker way to do it, but the Roku readout was a handy failsafe.

Not sure if there's other use cases, not sure if yours catches thumbnails not being 800x450 (mine defaults to smaller so I need to resize it server side) or something like Birth Date missing or something pretty innocuous.

I just found it strange its no longer a thing.  I guess with SDK the onus is more on developers to ensure its right.  I would think tho that Roku's servers are still crawling the feeds periodically, strange it doesn't still offer the results? 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

CFM does catch quite a few things. But, if there's something missing, you can always request an enhancement.

CFM also provides the ability to copy content items.

I don't believe Roku will scan your feed file going forward. It doesn't provide any benefit to them and shifts the responsibility to the channel developer.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.