Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Roku to sunset Direct Publisher early next year

that is how it works - "old" setup - content - until the "new" is approved and made public.

0 Kudos
Ggg66
Streaming Star

I've clicked on the direct publisher to convert to SDK. Can I sideload our new channel layout or do I need to upload somewhere?

I'm not seeing anything to tell me where to move forward. I'm just getting a message that the channel is published.

any advise?

thank you

0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

I'm in the process of beginning to change over one of my DP channels to SDK. From the posts, it looks like you have yours moving right along. I'm glad you figured it out. Going to give it whirl.    🙂

http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
Ggg66
Streaming Star

yep all packed up and submitted, fingers crossed 🤞 for approval. When I tested it, it seems light years faster moving around  video to video

Good luck I 

0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

Hmmm. . .this sounded like exactly what I needed!  

I made the changes to lines 100 and 111 to the categories used in my feed, which was already listing categories. 

After zipping and side-loading, all I see is "series" on the channel (which has nothing).

I feel like I'm not telling Roku where in the json file to find the categories.

Any thoughts/ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

I can see why what I did didn't work.

When looking at the feed, the categories a video is assigned to is actually called "genres". This is called out in the RootHander.brs file.  

Categories, at the feed's top level, just list the categories, not the videos assigned.

0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

@Ggg66 Looks like Deeplinking is not working with the Template. on the other hand, it is mandatory to have Deeplinking to get the certification.

Please let us know the result.

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Yeah, to be clear, this is a bit 'ad-hoc', and we're not using the 'Categories in their normal fashion. What we're doing, is changing the feed from (abbreviated for time)

"shortFormVideos": [{
			"id": "000001",
			"title": "Funny Video",
			"shortDescription": "hilarious",
			"thumbnail": "facebook pictures",
			"category": [
				"Comedy"
			],
			"tags": [
				"funny"
			],
			"releaseDate": "2023-01-01",
			"content": {
				"dateAdded": "2017-02-04",
				"duration": 750,
				"videos": [{
					"url": "youtube",
					"quality": "SD",
					"videoType": "mp4"
				}]
			}
		}]

and changing it to

"comedy": [{
			"id": "000001",
			"title": "Funny Video",
			"shortDescription": "hilarious",
			"thumbnail": "facebook pictures",
			"category": [
				"Comedy"
			],
			"tags": [
				"funny"
			],
			"releaseDate": "2023-01-01",
			"content": {
				"dateAdded": "2017-02-04",
				"duration": 750,
				"videos": [{
					"url": "youtube",
					"quality": "SD",
					"videoType": "mp4"
				}]
			}
		}]

So in the actual feed file we would change shortformvideo &  movies into (several) of our own Categories. Plus, we would need to rearrange our videos into each section.  So if you had categories like 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, you would copy the json content and paste it into its specific area. (NOTE:  it is finicky with case sensitivity on category titles, I kept them all lowercase to start and it showed lowercase on the TV, which I'll accept for now)

Hope I'm explaining this right. I'll try submitting one soon, I have a smaller channel but am considering holding out for possibly trying SDK on another. I was able to sideload it and see specific Categories. Should clear testing albeit this isn't exactly supported by Roku's conversion process. And, getting into custom coding, is kindof a thumbs up/thumbs down approach by them. Nice job tho seeming to have figured out you're own error in it. Stuff is tedioius man.  : )

0 Kudos
phlume
Streaming Star

Sample images are available on the GIT repository for the sample channel, available here:
https://github.com/rokudev/rdp-to-scenegraph-channel-template/tree/main/images

The core download link for this full repository "RDP - to -SceneGraph" (Roku Direct Publisher) is here:
https://github.com/rokudev/rdp-to-scenegraph-channel-template/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

0 Kudos
phlume
Streaming Star

Any idea on how to establish categories in the rows, vs just seeing "Series" or "Movies"? I have about 15 different show series and they range in categories form sports, to news, to livfestyle/travel... I'd like to seperate them and even drill down in sports to indicate basketball, vs soccer, vs cornhole...

0 Kudos