Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike313
Binge Watcher

Re: Audio Lag on Hulu on Streaming Stick + and on Roku Ultra

this every app/channel subscription is BS...”

100% agree!  I can imagine how hard it is on the older population. 

As for Roku, Google TV is a good competitor, as is Apple TV. I have a Chromecast with Google TV that use and it works well. They need better hardware, though.

My son loves FireTV, but I’m absolutely not a fan. 

0 Kudos
Josh16
Channel Surfer

LMAO mitchstein! Yes, I remember those “good old days” when we had the rabbit ears antenna. When cable TV came along, it was like nirvana!

I love the Roku devices on our TVs and used them with Hulu for years. We never had this audio lagging issue until a few month ago. At first it was only happening on a few channels-ESPN, TNT-but then it started to occur on other channels.

I’m a huge hockey fan too. Go Rangers and Stars! It was so frustrating dealing with the audio lag watching the Stanley Cup playoffs! Unfortunately, the NHL Network and ESPN+ are not available on YouTube TV as an add on. However, all the local channels are available in our area. Unlike Hulu, we also get the local PBS channel. 

I guess these are all developed world problems. I should be thankful I can afford all the new technology. Don’t get me started on satellite radio! 🤣

0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

I was 100% witrh you until you said "go rang....." No way, Go FLYBOYS!!! lol

Yeah I think Hulu is just taking a sh**..
I'm willing to bet it has something to with Disney owning HUlu, they might be trying to get people to transfer from hulu to disney+. IDK. I don't even know if disney+ has any of the content hulu has right now.
Welp time will tell.. And it's a great example that can be used the next time ROku cries "developer quality issues". Since they are letting this go without removing this app, they now will need to leave all things similar to this go for all developers, especially in this economic climate where everyone is crying equality and lawyers are filing lawsuits left and right... Albeit I have not had any issue yet with roku doing this, except when it comes to graphics and icons.

http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
Josh16
Channel Surfer

Hey mitchstein, yeah, I knew mentioning the Rangers would probably not go over well. I have no animosity to this current version of your Flyboys. My hatred goes back to the 70s and the Broad St Bullies days with Dave Schultz. You guys kicked our ass, literally. It was like the movie Slapshot! The game is a lot different now as you know. 
Anyway, it’s been two weeks and no audio lag issues with YouTube TV. I thought by now Hulu would send an email with a survey asking why I cancelled after many years. No Hulu survey yet. I guess when more subscribers cancel, they’ll get concerned. 

0 Kudos
Third3
Binge Watcher

Has anyone noticed that the Hulu live audio lag situation has a new quirk to it?  I am noticing that at almost every commercial break, there is at least one incidence of an ad starting, runs for maybe 2 seconds, and then it goes away and another ad comes in on top of it.  Sometimes it will happen a couple of times.

I mean, it shows that someone is REALLY out of control running these ads!  Are they running multiple ads at the same time?  And we only see the ones that can dominate?

Doesn’t help the lad issue, I am sure!

Josh16
Channel Surfer

Hey Third3, Yes, it does sound like they’re trying to jam in too many ads. I don’t know how ads are sequenced during commercial breaks. There are local and regional ads along with national ads. Hulu also inserts their own ads during breaks. Someone at Hulu probably has to program these ads into a computer. 

Third3
Binge Watcher

That’s the guy we need to be talking to, then!

mitchstein
Roku Guru

I've noticed that and also that the lag issue is now happening on recorded (dvr) programs and by demand stuff as well. Though they seem to have fixed it comedy.tv and all the history live channels.

http://www.TVByDemand.com
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @mitchstein,

Thanks for posting here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention regarding the playback issues you are currently experiencing. No worries. We're here to find you the best resolution possible.

May we know what specific apps you are referring to? What steps have you taken so far to reproduce the issue? Since you've mentioned that it lags when you try to stream those apps, have you tried to reboot your router?

With more information, we will be able to assess this further and provide you with an accurate resolution possible.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ted6

I never had an issue with audio lag when I just used Hulu. I now subscribe to Hulu live and it’s horrible. It’s only been two weeks. It’s on a Roku 3810RW. 

0 Kudos