Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EasyE33304
Channel Surfer

Max App pause and playback issue

Has anyone else had this issue?  I pause a show or film on Max and when I go to hit play it rewinds the film or show and starts playback way before where I paused it. It's only happening on the Max App and none of the others. It's so annoying and Max is the most expensive monthly charge out of all my apps. Anyone have any tricks or tips to fix this issue????

168 REPLIES 168
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Max App pause and playback issue

We're seeing lots of complaints about the Max app.  I suspect they rushed it out before it was ready for prime time.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

This is happening to me also.  They changed something, because it wasn’t happening before.

EasyE33304
Channel Surfer

Thanks Toonces. I agree, it just started doing this and was working fine a few days back. 

EasyE33304
Channel Surfer

Thanks Makaiguy, I don't know why they do that. I'd rather have them wait until everything is working properly before pushing out the new app. 

kimkfisher
Channel Surfer

We are having the same issue on the Roku Ultra.  Started about 5 days ago.  Very annoying. Was told to delete the app and re-add it.  However when I select the Max App and press * for options there is no remove like the other apps.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Let's try to troubleshoot this to see if we can resolve the issue. We recommend performing a system restart by navigating to Settings > System > Power (skip if you don't see this an option) > System Restart. After this, kindly check to see if the issue is persistent.

If the issue persists, it's a good option to reach out to the channel provider directly and let them know about the issue so that they can address it.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bess_
Reel Rookie

UPDATE (09/19/23): EASIEST WORKAROUND FOUND.

UPDATE (08/21/23): WORKAROUND BELOW.

Tried this and tried resetting the roku completely, still happening for me. 

EXTREMELY ANNOYING GLITCH.

UPDATE: @EasyE33304 A workaround that's been effective for me on the Max app: use the instant replay button instead of the play/pause button to resume playback. This action rewinds the video by about 10 seconds and then continues playback from the correct spot. (I'll provide further updates if this method becomes problematic.)

UPDATE 2: After pausing the video, start the rewind function. To resume from your paused point, don't press play; instead, press the back (<-) button. This action stops the rewind and plays the video from where you paused.

UPDATE 3 (09/19/23): Simply press any directional (left/right) button to get the progress bar to show, then Select or Play/Pause to resume without jumping to a random timestamp.

EasyE33304
Channel Surfer

Thank u, I'll have to try that. I've tried removing the channel and adding it, logging in and logging back in, also restarted the Roku, all of which hasn't done anything. Appreciate the update and workaround. 

Cupcake11

This has been happening to me for a few days now as well. It's obviously the app because it's only happening on Max. It also skipped to the end while paused once or twice. But almost every time I pause, it's like the show is actually rewinding the entire time. The longer it's paused, the farther back it seems to take me when I hit play again. Restarting the app and restarting the Roku doesn't help.