Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: YouTube app slowly becoming unusable

Mine is just a screen that has the YouTube logo. It won’t even load. Help!!! I have deleted the app, added it back-nothing just a picture. and restarted the Roku and nothing ???? What’s going on with YouTube I need my meditation music to sleep…. 🥺😭

image.jpg

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Artsyfartsylady you didn't provide us with any information to assist you. What is the model number of your Roku? Not just the name, as Roku reuses names extensively on very different versions. How are you connected to your network: WiFi or Ethernet? 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ray326
Reel Rookie

Still broken. The noise screen freezes started with the YouTube app and now YouTube TV has joined the fun. There is obviously a bug in Google's code because no other app exhibit this problem. I've been a Roku booster for over a decade but I'm probably going to switch to a cheap Google TV box if they don't get this worked out real soon now.

0 Kudos
atc98092

So you’re going to reward Google for their poor app on the Roku by buying a Google product? Remember, Google is responsible for the functionality of the YouTube apps on Roku devices, not Roku. 

Dan

🙂👍SOLUTION FOLKS!  I HAD THE SAME ISSUE... ADS GET IN THE WAY OF THE VIDS STARTING... ALSO,  IN THE LATEST ROKU YT UPDATE...WHEN YOU WANT TO SAVE A VIDEO TO A PLAYLIST, ETC, THE MENU NOW HAS A THUMBNAIL AT THE TOP! GEEZ I NEW THAT WAS A MEMORY DRAIN. IT ALSO MAKES THE ROKU BOX SLOW.  (4200X..LIKE US HERE). JUST STICK AN OLD USB STICK (NO SD THIS MODEL) IN THE SIDE AND RESTART ROKU. JUST LIKE NEW! AND YT TOO!!! (OH...BEFORE YOU DO YOU CAN ADD SOME MUSIC OR MEDIA ON STICK TO PLAY VIA ROKUS MEDIA PLAYER APP!

MAKE SURE YOU SELECT (ALLOW) PROMPT AFTER RESTART. USB WILL BE USED FOR EXTRA MEMORY AND MEDIA FILES!!!

RICK🙂👍 CLEAN THAT DUST OFF TOO!...HEHEHE

BY THE WAY...WHEN PLAYING VIDEOS AND USING THE CONTROLS LIKE PAUSE, FF, ETC, THE POPUP STILL STUTTERS A BIT BUT RECOVERS. THIS APP REALLY NEEDS AN UPDATE...THX!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Sorry @RickFromPhila inserting a USB storage device does not add any operational or storage memory to any Roku device. It will not make YouTube or any other channel work better. You can play media from a connected device as long as the media is in a Roku supported format. But it will not be used to extend the operational memory or channel storage. 

Some older Roku players had an SD card slot, but it was used solely for additional channel storage, not operational memory. Roku has eliminated the SD card because newer devices have enough channel memory it's no longer needed.

There are only two uses for a USB drive on a Roku device. As mentioned, you can play media from one. Also, on a Roku TV a USB drive can be used to pause live TV. It doesn't act as a DVR, so won't save something broadcast. And when it's used for that purpose I don't believe you can still play media from it. If it's used to pause TV that's all it can be used for. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ray326
Reel Rookie

I've decided the best solution for me is to just upgrade to the latest version of the Ultra. It looks like the YouTube problem has something to do with some core protocol issue in the Roku 3 firmware that that Roku can't or won't update and I prefer the app-first UI of Roku to the content-first UI of the others.

0 Kudos
Atscham
Reel Rookie

I am experiencing the same problem.  I followed the Roku recommendations on how to fix this and it did not work.  Now what?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Atscham what is the model number of your Roku player? Google is notorious for not supporting older devices with their YouTube channel. It's possible you simply may need a newer player. It's not Roku's fault Google makes their channel work poorly with older devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Atscham
Reel Rookie

The model number is 3941X2.  Roku Express 4K+

0 Kudos