Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DezM
Reel Rookie

Request for WiFi 6E or WiFi 7 on Roku Ultra

It's 2024 and we haven't see a refresh in awhile.

I am using an old Ultra 4670R streaming player and would love to upgrade to one that supports WiFi 6E or WiFi 7. I'd also like HDMI 2.1, Dolby Vision and a USB-C Gen port to continue to connect my USB-C flash drives or external SSDs.

I'm sure many here would approve.

Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
MrRat
Reel Rookie

Re: Request for WiFi 6E or WiFi 7 on Roku Ultra

I just upgraded my Wifi to 7 and want my streaming media to use MLO

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

As noted in other similar posts: Roku uses 3rd party chipsets in their hardware. It's up to them to add features that Roku can use.

WiFi 7 is VERY new, only finalized last month. Currently, I assume it is little more than flagship phones that support it. WiFi 7 routers are VERY expensive.

Remember that Roku's, even the Ultra, is mainly a mass market device. I assume 6E may come with whatever hardware upgrade comes out, but I wouldn't count on WiFi 7 on general consumer devices for a few years. To be honest, the processing speed of the Ultra is still competitive with many other upper-end consumer streaming devices. It's also cheaper than some of them, like the Cube or Apple TV. Unless you are streaming local ripped 4K material, you only need 16-25MBit for Internet streaming.

MrRat
Reel Rookie

@andyross wrote:
.. I wouldn't count on WiFi 7 on general consumer devices for a few years

months
and at the general consumer level
(can't say more due to NDA)

0 Kudos
DezM
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the info. I've been a Roku user for about 11 years now. I started with the Roku 3. Every future iteration of their streaming player became better and better. I expect the Ultra to do the same. It's very good but not excellent.

Your response suggests that Roku should be complacent and leave well enough alone. I say no.....make a very good product and make it even better. A product refresh with new tech.

And yes, I own a WiFi 7 router (which also has 6E and slower bands) and I am playing local 4K content.

This forum is a 'Suggest A Feature', which is exactly what I did.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Don't forget about WPA3 security that came out with Wi-Fi 6. I want to be able to get away from a less secure environment, but Roku does not seem to care about security, sooner than later. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

As far as you saying wifi 7 products are expensive is not true. I got WiFi 7 phone for free, since I traded in my old phone. I have seen Wifi 7 laptops online for about $1200 not on sale. My guess is when verizon fios releases a wifi 7 router the cost will be $399, My current laptop has wifi 6 card and my laptop is 3 years old. I might upgrade my wifi card. USB 3.0 wireless adapters are very cheap too.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Your phone is not free, it is "free". It is probably locked to your carrier, and if you don't keep that service for 2-3 years, you will have to pay the remaining balance. You then have to go through a procedure to unlock it if you want to use another carrier.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Verizon has a 60 day unlock policy. I have almost reached the 60 days.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

But, if you do switch carriers, you will have to pay the remaining cost of the phone.

0 Kudos