Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lostbits
Channel Surfer

How to fix Netflix not working on my Roku streaming device

8 Nov 2023

I have looked at previous posts and solutions. My issues are similar. Details are:

When logged int Netflix:
[1] After selection loading never completes.
[2] During playing of a selection playing stops and attempts to load and never starts again.
[3] When trying to select, changing selection takes > 30s.
[4] Unable to change selections.

In all cases I investigated the state of my internet connection modem and router from my PC. In all cases both modem and router were operational and I had internet WiFi access on several devices.

During the last failure, item [2] above, I was successful in watching the program after I switched to my TV Netflix connection. So, TV works, Roku doesn't.

From reading the other posts this appears to be a common problem. When will this be solved by Roku?

39 REPLIES 39
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to fix Netflix not working on my Roku streaming device

Hi @lostbits,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!
We understand you're having a problem with the Netflix channel. We're happy to assist you. Please try these troubleshooting steps below:

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Press home on your Roku remote, select settings, select system, and system restart.
  • Re-install the channel: Scroll down to search, put the name of the channel or app, highlight the channel, and select add channel.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rwandagirl

We are having the same problem and the troubleshooting did not help. 

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for letting us know, @Rwandagirl.

May we know what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far? Also, when did you start seeing this issue? Alternatively, upon exhausting the provided fixes, were you able to communicate with the channel provider to inquire further and ask for additional troubleshooting steps? If so, what were your findings?

Please keep us updated.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I tried everything you had suggested but it still is trying to load, stays at “0”.

Any new updates anyone can share?

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Harleybabe38,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We apologize for the delay in responding. We value your complaint on the Netflix playback issue and the troubleshooting efforts you made.

We want to add some additional troubleshooting here. Try connecting your device to a different network, such as a mobile hotspot, and see if that resolves the issue.

Kindly keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JFM2

Following up on this as well... let's see if I can be relatively organized and systematic in how I describe the issue and steps already taken (although assume anything basic like remove/reload app was tried ages ago).

My Netflix "jams up" for lack of a better term, like others in this thread. Mine manifests as such: starting most any program on Netflix will begin for a short period of time, within 30 seconds, the show will start lagging, the audio will drop out (captions will keep running for a bit), then it'll buffer and eventually overload and the app will reset, or it'll just overload and I'll manually have to press the home button a few times for it to "crash" the Netflix app. Immediately going back into Netflix and trying again, yields the same result. Waiting until later, usually yields the same result.

65" TCL 65S4 TV

So... some basic information.  

1) Yes, I have attempted to restart/reboot my TV. Attempted all three of: power button, remote sequence, menu hard reboot. Does not fix.

2) Yes, I have attempted to delete the app and reload the same Netflix app. Does not fix.

3) Yes, I have attempted to reboot my internet, power cycling my device. Does not fix.

4) Yes, I have attempted to connect to an entirely different source of the internet. Does not fix.

5) As far as a speedtest goes, I am on Google Fiber and have speeds of 290down 180up.

6) Netflix is not currently experiencing a service outage (for the past 12 months).

7) My Roku OS is set to autoupdate and updates regularly. It is currently up-to-date however this issue has been recurring for sometime inside of a year, I don't think it's a deprecated OS.

😎I have attempted to go into the Netflix app on my Roku, find the Get Help button, and push reload Netflix. Does not fix.

Answering some basic questions from earlier in the thread. 

1) I noticed the issue starting sometime within the past 12 months. It is a growing frustration.

2) I have four active Roku devices two stream bars, one stick, and this TCL/Roku TV. The only device where this is an issue is the TCL/Roku TV.  I have not contacted Netflix as this issue does not appear to be any other devices. Just one specific piece of hardware, this TCL/Roku TV. 

A simple search of this thread, and then this forum, shows there's no lack of "Netflix and Roku" issues. Is Roku currently acknowledging the volume of recurring/similar issues? Is Roku currently working on fixing this issue?

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @JFM2,

I just wanted to welcome you here in the Roku Community!

This seems like a lot of detailed information on what's going on, and we appreciate your effort along with the troubleshooting steps attempted.

We'd like to take a step in here, and we'll need your extra help. Please share with us the details below.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Netflix channel version (highlight the channel tile, then press the * sign button on your device).

Once we have this information, we'll be able to forward this report to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

We'll be looking forward to your update! 

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
tsporkchop

Hi RokuERay

Like above I’ve had issues with the Netflix app and have followed all the troubleshooting steps above. I too have been having this issue for the past few months. Just the Netflix app complains of having no network connectivity even though all other apps have no problem. It freezes the app and I’m unable to go back to the main screen  

model: 3810EU
Roku Streaming Stick+
Serial Number: YH00GK568050
Software Version: 12.5.5

Device ID: 23513G568050

Netflix version: 5.2

Tracking ID: 50-076-055

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for the follow-up, @tsporkchop.

No worries; we have collected and forwarded the following details to the appropriate Roku team for review and further investigation. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Let us know if you have further inquiries regarding this.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos