Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Icetman

Roku Express not connecting to NetGear Nighthawk

Jump to solution

My Roku Express has a problem, it is not finding my new Netgear NighthawkM5 Pro (AT&T wireless internet). I am replacing my Sat internet with this device.

As we speak my Roku is connect to my Viasat internet and I can also connect it to my mobile phone's hotspot. In the connection area when I do a search for the wireless devices in my home the Roku finds (locates) the Viasat and also my phones hotspot (turned on to make sure the Roku is finding devices) BUT it is NOT finding (locating) the Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro internet.

I have done SEVERAL things, I have unplugged the Nighthawk, the Roku and the TV and reset them all as well. I have checked for that every device has the current updated software.

Now for the Nighthawk, it is finding the Viasat and mobile hotspot and I have connected each one to it and the internet works just fine. but still no Roku.  I have also tried my friends phone and laptop as well as my neighbors phone and laptop here in my house and they all connect to the Nighthawk with no issues. I have also spent hours on the phone with Netgear and AT&T about this problem and after they gone through their checks, balances and testing they say their equipment is working as it should be. They tell me to contact Roku so here I am posting to a FOURM and NOT speaking to a real live person!!!!!

So what I need to know is why the Roku Express is NOT finding (receiving) the the Nighthawk so it can be linked????

I have FINALLY (after 6 years of **bleep** internet service), FINNALY get the opportunity to have unlimited and highspeed internet to watch movies, do my work, etc without very slow speeds, contest stops and complete down times and this happens!!!!!!!!!

SO PLEASE HELP ME GET MY ROKU WORKING!

PS It REALLY SU*KS that I can not talk to a LIVE person about this and get this problem fixed ASAP. I do not know how long before an ROKU person see this to help me but it better be darn quick or I will stop using Roku forever!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express not connecting to NetGear Nighthawk

Jump to solution

@Icetman 

The Roku Express is 2.4 GHz only. 802.11 b/g/n

Ensure your wireless settings match. g/n won't do.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Icetman 

The Roku Express is 2.4 GHz only. 802.11 b/g/n

Ensure your wireless settings match. g/n won't do.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Icetman

Jump to solution

Darn, I knew it had be something like that, just did not want it to be.  What do I need to buy (cheapest first) for it to work? Roku® Streaming Stick® 4K?? If so what else do I need for my other 3 TVs?  Is there like a main Roku that has satellites?

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Icetman 

The Roku Express is the only current Roku device that is 2.4 GHz only. All others are dual band.

And each Roku is for a single TV.

DBDukes

Icetman

Jump to solution

Great, thank you

makaiguy

Jump to solution

Before buying a new Roku, check the configuration of your new router.  The documentation that came with it should show you how.

As @DBDukes indicated:

• Make sure its 2.4 GHz wifi band is turned on
  • Make sure its 2.4 GHz connection parameters are set to b/g/n, not b/g 

And one more :

• All Rokus use 2.4 GHz channels 1-11 as are standard in North America. Some other parts of the world also use channels 12 & 13.  Be sure your router is using only 1-11, and not an auto setting if this could be set a channel above 11.
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Alexa01

Jump to solution

I had the same issue my wi-Fi would connect to both of our phones, and it would pull up the pages of the Internet, but it would not connect to any of my Roku TVs so I had to go on my Netgear app because I have a Netgear router modem and I had to make a separate guest network you could choose 2.4 or 5g and people were saying it only worked with 2.4 that what I chose that’s the only thing that worked they finally connected because before that I tried everything I knew to do. Hope this helps!