Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teresa751
Streaming Star

Roku device cutting me off the Internet

Jump to solution

To whom this concerns (please read this entire message as my device info is included), 

In the past week my device is losing my Wi-Fi connection. It's not my wifi at all. It's not my modem/router. It's the device. 

I reboot it and hard wire reboot it and it cuts off after about an hour or so. Sometimes it lasts 6 hours. It seems like it might happen when it's being updated as there was a channel update after it happened the 1st time today. *****My device info is:****

Model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

Serial number: X016007LGSUP

Software version: 12.5.5  build 4174-CR

GC version: 11:0.29

Timestamp: 2024-03-18T21:18:25Z

Issue ID UP-112-158

Hopefully this is resolved. My last problem was resolved and now this. Also when I reset my device, the Roku label doesn't move or have sound anymore. (You know, when it starts up again..  ) The Roku logo is just a picture. I don't know if that helps but needed to include it. 

Have a good day 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku device cutting me off the Internet

Jump to solution

Hi @Teresa751,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue. Can you confirm if the connection cut you off when streaming on a specific channel or all the channels installed on your Roku device?

In some cases, removing the affected channel and re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below, making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
    • Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove Channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  2. Restart your Roku device. Navigate to Settings > System > Power (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step). System restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
    • Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

For more references on how to troubleshoot any channel playback issues, you can visit our Support page.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Teresa751,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We want to further investigate this issue that you're having with the Roku Express 4K+. Can you please provide the following information below?

• How far is your Roku device from your network router?
  • Are you getting any error messages or codes?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                  John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Larry1953

Jump to solution

Am having the same issue.

Just purchased the new Roku Streaming Stick 4K, model 3820RW2, software version 12.5.5 build 4174-E6. 

For the last three days it has stopped and frozen, at 33% buffering and stating that the connection broken. 
I tried pressing the back arrow and home button to get back to setting, but it stays frozen. I have to unplug from wall and plug back for it to restart.
Today I reset the Roku to factory setting, still keeps stopping and freezing at 33% buffering and stating that the connection broken.
Also have gone into WiFi setting and restart the router twice hoping that would help, but has not.
Teresa751
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It's not far at all from my network router, and this problem hasn't happened before. Like I said it's been doing this for a week. I've had this device for a few years. 

No error messages or codes. 

I don't use cellular data to connect to my wifi. I don't have enough data a month to do that. 

I gave you all the device info in my previous message. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Larry1953,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue with the network connection using a Roku Streaming Stick 4K, and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've taken to try to resolve this issue.

Have you tried to connect the Roku device to an alternative wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue? If you see something different, can you please let us know what you are seeing?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Teresa751
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It's been still bumping me off the Internet. 

I was trying to watch a movie last night on Pluto and Roku app does it too. This is very annoying. It's not my modem. It's the device. I think it has something to do with the Roku logo that is frozen when I reset the device. It usually moves and makes a sound. 

This morning as I'm watching Newsmax plus, it cut me off once and I had to connect again. So far it's okay. 

There's a definite glitch. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Teresa751,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue. Can you confirm if the connection cut you off when streaming on a specific channel or all the channels installed on your Roku device?

In some cases, removing the affected channel and re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below, making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
    • Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove Channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  2. Restart your Roku device. Navigate to Settings > System > Power (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step). System restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
    • Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

For more references on how to troubleshoot any channel playback issues, you can visit our Support page.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos