Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jlsoaz
Topic Author

WEP key? trying to pull a Soundbridge out of mothballs

Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi -

I decided today to try to set up an old soundbridge that I have. There was nothing wrong with it when I put it away. I connected it to my stereo system and fired it up. Connecting via ethernet is problematic (too far across my house) and so I tried to connect wirelessly and ran into seemingly insoluble problems. I do have the old card and put it in, but it was not able to connect to my WPA encrypted networks. I tried reconfiguring a guest network to work with a WEP KEY (bringing it down from 5 gig to 54 mbps, the router didn't seem that happy, but did allow me to set up the WEP key for the guest network.

However, I was never able to get the Soundbridge to log in. Should I change the encryption from 64 to 128?

I am reluctant to just set up a no-password wireless network, so I'm not sure what to do. I'm pretty much at the point of giving up and buying something from Sonos or Logitech, but they seem very expensive, and it's frustrating that I have something here that still sort of works, but not quite.

Is there any trick for getting past the WEP key hurdle?

If not, is there a recommended solution that is less expensive than $400? Will Roku have an issue with discussing other solutions on this board (taking into consideration that it's been years since they offered a competing solution?).

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Re: WEP key? trying to pull a Soundbridge out of mothballs

Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Addenda

- I got it to work by putting security on the netgear router for the guest network to none. I just can't keep it that way, but did verify that it works (listened to a station for awhile).

- The netgear router seems finicky and I can no longer readily bring up any option for WEP security, so if the only security that the Roku Soundbridge will use is WEP, then it seems to be a stopping point.

- On alternatives, from a quick browse of Amazon, it looks like there are various brands I can try under $300 or $200.

dupondt

Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:11 am

jlsoaz wrote:
Hi -

Hello jlsoaz,

Is there any trick for getting past the WEP key hurdle?

As your SoundBridge has a removable Wi-Fi card it's an M500, M1000 or M2000. These models do not support WPA/WPA2 but only WEP; this is a hardware limitation for which there are no workarounds.

If not, is there a recommended solution that is less expensive than $400?

A Wi-Fi bridge aka Wi-Fi client aka gaming adapter like, for example, TP-Link's TL-WR702N will cost you some 20 bucks only and connect your SoundBridge to any modern wireless network.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks Dupondt. I think a sticking point for an hour or two was that my Netgear router seemed to offer a wep option for awhile, and that tempted me into thinking maybe I could make the whole setup work, with some level of security, but then later when I went back I couldn't find it. At some point I upgraded firmware on the router, maybe that affected things.

In any event, the possible $20 solution you mention is unexpected and interesting. I'm slightly less pushing on this today because I did manage to rig a solution which was to pull an old Roku video streamer out of mothballs and an old HP computer screen from 2007 that I had never used, and I used that to tune the Roku to a station on Soundcast, and everything seems to be functioning the way I want for now. I put the soundbridge back with my collection of other unused audio components.

A reflection -
I live in the hills and conventional radio reception here is poor without the hassle of setting up a good antenna. Around 2006 when I bought the Soundbridge (and soon thereafter one or two for friends and family), it was an absolute keeper- one of the top computer or audio components I had ever bought because it allowed me to listen to radio again for the first time in many years outside of my car. It was an important component for me for a few years.

I did evolve eventually to using my TV as an occasional stereo, with my roku bringing in stations, but my tv is not in the right room for me to listen (when I want to listen).

Recently I have been on a kick to set up a separate two-channel audio-only system in a better area for me. I had a record player repaired (sometimes the schedule we are on is based in part on finding the right person for these things) and bought some proper used affordable furniture to help the thing stand on its own (it had been kludged in near a TV in an unwieldy way). So, I listened to some vinyl, listened to some CDS and eventually got around to the question, as I should have realized I would .... I'd like to let someone else do the driving, but I can't do that without an internet radio.... so, that led me to this week's Christmas internet radio project.

Perhaps one thing worth adding is that I pulled not just one but two old Roku components out of storage and both of them worked fine. Ok "old" in this case is a relative thing... they were not decades old..... one component is about 8 years old and other probably about 5-6 years. Neither was prohibitively expensive when I bought it. So, if there was an ethic at the early corporate meetings of Roku to make sure to dot the i's and cross the t's in terms of not cutting corners on long-lasting hardware quality, that does seem to have been born out in a quick anecdotal way in my experiences yesterday.

[post composed while listening to WeFunk Radio, via Shoutcast Radio, via Roku network player.]

JasBurke

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:23 pm

I just moved and my new router was set up with WPA. I had them change it to WEP so that I could continue using my M500 but the Soundbridge doesn't accept the WEP key/password I was provided. Other devices (Ipad, laptop) connect OK with it, but I get no joy with the Soundbridge. It's a 10 character key. Is there something else the M500 is looking for?

bregent

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Is the router running in 'b' mode, or some combination mode that includes 'b' ?

JasBurke

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:21 pm

bregent wrote:
Is the router running in 'b' mode, or some combination mode that includes 'b' ?

Thanks for you help. I'm not sure what mode it's running, the ISP set it up. How can I determine that?

JasBurke

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Just got into the router web site. It appears it's running in B/G/N Mixed mode.

JasBurke

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:50 pm

Thought I'd try one more time to see if anyone has any idea why my M500 isn't accepting the WEP Key (I recently moved and have a new ISP and router). Does it have something to do with the router's B/N/G mixed mode as suggested by an earlier poster? Any help would be appreciated.

FrankB

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:35 am

Does this help?

If you can try a G/B mode or B only mode, that might be worthwhile, just to see if it works with any setting. I would not run your network in B only mode. You also need to consider if you really want your network in WEP mode, it's insecure.

I recently got a new router that claimed it supported WEP mode and I have an M2000 that would claim it connected but did not get an IP address via DHCP. I put an M1001 in its place because it supports WPA and the larger display was not that important in the location it was in. That was my last WEP wireless device so I dropped it completely.

Consider a wireless bridge as well.

bobpaule

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:40 pm

Unfortunately all Soundbriges except the M1001 are unable to do WPA Wi-Fi encryption, rendering their Wi-Fi useless with modern routers.

The most elegant solution by far is this box, I have 5 of them around the house, one even feeds an 8 port ethernet switch, just make sure
you set it in range extender mode, then the 2 LAN ports are active, setup is a breeze on the mini-LCD touchscreen:

http://www.amazon.com/Securifi-Almond-T ... B0087NZ31S

FrankB wrote:
I recently got a new router that claimed it supported WEP mode and I have an M2000 that would claim it connected but did not get an IP address via DHCP. I put an M1001 in its place because it supports WPA and the larger display was not that important in the location it was in. That was my last WEP wireless device so I dropped it completely.

Consider a wireless bridge as well.

Unfortunately the M1000/1001s (any SB with ports on the side) do not have higher fidelity sound, so they are OK for the kitchen or garage, but if you have a separates or mid-fi you will want the others.

junknspam3

Tue May 24, 2016 9:48 am

I gave up on wireless with my M500. I just ran an ethernet cable from my router or switch right to the Soundbridge and removed the wireless card from the Soundbridge. ( You must remove the wireless card from the Soundbridge so it will see you wired connection.)
And I noticed the time display on idle quit working so I found on this forum that if you change the time server to "time-a.nist.gov" it works again. Roku Labs must have quit supporting the time.
And if you like Alternative Rock/Pop music you can listen to my internet station at "http://s1.phx.icastcenter.com/tunein/sandptr2.asx"

Paul T.

JohnS-MI

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:43 am

JasBurke wrote:
Thought I'd try one more time to see if anyone has any idea why my M500 isn't accepting the WEP Key (I recently moved and have a new ISP and router). Does it have something to do with the router's B/N/G mixed mode as suggested by an earlier poster? Any help would be appreciated.

Probably too late (only a year and a half), but M500 is fussy and doesn't work with all routers.  There are several threads about this.  Phone company did a forced upgrade from DSL to Uverse here, replacing my ActionTec router with their Uverse router.  I changed the Uverse router to WEP, old SSID, my old WEP password, and mixed b/g mode.  13 of 14 wireless devices believed they were still on the old network, and worked fine; not the M500, it could see the network but not connect even with correct passcode.
I determined a 30' Ethernet cable would reach and tuck out of the way.  That should arrive tomorrow.  If that works, I'll run the M500 wired and change the router back to more modern encryption (WEP is relatively easy to break and not recommended).  The other choice would be a WiFi bridge, but I've never installed one.

46jimbo

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:47 pm

I solved my problem by using a Powerline solution. That's where you use your house's electrical wiring for internet. A D-Link Powerline kit for around $45 did the trick and my Roku is now connected via ethernet to my router some distance away.  Besides the WEP problem, it also solved the problem of the unit being unable to use N speed wifi. I now longer get any buffering issues.

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:15 am

46jimbo wrote:
I solved my problem by using a Powerline solution. That's where you use your house's electrical wiring for internet. A D-Link Powerline kit for around $45 did the trick and my Roku is now connected via ethernet to my router some distance away.  Besides the WEP problem, it also solved the problem of the unit being unable to use N speed wifi. I now longer get any buffering issues.

Ok, thanks, good idea.