Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Dragline
Topic Author

Blank Screen and Sputtering Sound

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:45 pm

I have a Roku SoundBridge M1000.  (Based on some reading here, I believe it's the M1001 model that's labeled as an M1000.  The connections are all in the back and not the end caps.)

Recently, it has started making a sputtering sound that I can best describe as a helicopter sound.  When this happens, all music stops and the screen goes blank.  The sputtering continues until I unplug the power.  If I wait a while, I can plug it back in and it may be fine for days or months, or it might start the sputtering sound right away.

Could this be an issue with the power supply?  Or, is this something internal to the unit itself?

Thanks.

FrankB

Re: Blank Screen and Sputtering Sound

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:08 am

A failing power supply usually doesn't result in that failure condition but that would be the first thing I would try if I were you.

Dragline
Topic Author

Re: Blank Screen and Sputtering Sound

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks for the response!

I have a Roku 2XS and didn't realize that the power supply from that was compatible with my SoundBridge.  I took the power supply from my Roku 2XS and plugged it into the SoundBridge and it worked fine!  I then plugged the old power supply back into the SoundBridge and it failed with the same problem I described above.  So, it looks like the power supply is the issue.  (It's still the original from when I first got the unit... 10 years or so ago, if I remember correctly.)

Fortunately, it looks like Roku still sells power supplies for the Roku 2XS, so I'll be ordering one for my SoundBridge.