Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Zanoryt

Re: Radio stations no longer work

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

FrankB wrote:
I have been in contact with Roku. As it stands, it is not possible to restore RadioRoku as it was. Portions of the system have been lost and there are no known backups. I have been maintaining the database since 2009 so this is sad news to me.

But there is a path to move forward, I'm just not sure of the amount of effort it would take and how many users there are that would benefit. There is a "good chance" that if we as a community can come up with a replacement system, Roku will point the RadioRoku domain to the community solution.

Frank,
I share the same disappointment.
I would be willing to help. I've built hundreds of dynamic websites over the years, and continue to do so in a very professional capacity. My time is limited, but my love for Roku devices is strong. I really wish we had access to the firmware too, since there are a lot of glaring issues. Did Roku say anything about possibly opening that up when you spoke to them?
Also, I have been thinking about a little project that would make my SoundBridges more useful again. I would love to be able to use them to act as displays for the whole house Sonos deployment I have. I can pull from the Sonos in the corresponding room to get status, titles, etc.

FrankB

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:59 am

Opening up the firmware is prevented by 3rd party licensing. Roku could release their code if they wanted to but that's not all that's in the firmware.

DJans

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:12 am

FrankB wrote:
Hello fellow Soundbridge users,

I have been in contact with Roku. As it stands, it is not possible to restore RadioRoku as it was. Portions of the system have been lost and there are no known backups. I have been maintaining the database since 2009 so this is sad news to me.

But there is a path to move forward, I'm just not sure of the amount of effort it would take and how many users there are that would benefit. There is a "good chance" that if we as a community can come up with a replacement system, Roku will point the RadioRoku domain to the community solution.

I have some thoughts on one method to do this but I would like to open this up to anyone that has an interest and is willing to help out. Please either send me a private message or respond on this thread if you have some ideas and capability.

OK, great to here, but this news is also a few months old. I have still 8 Soundbridges in use and I am very interested in a solution because to handle it by presets is annoying. If I can help in a way please let me know.

Eric414

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 am

Hi I have soundbridge too and all my internet radio link dont play like all of you. I waiting for fix from Roku too.

46jimbo
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:26 pm

I have found a reasonable replacement for the Soundbridge.   During the recent Amazon Prime sale, I bought an Echo Dot for $25.  You can plug it into your stereo system via the same 3.5 mm headphone jack that the Soundbridge uses.  You can then, by voice, tell it to play any internet radio station that is on Tunein Radio's data base.  I imagine that the Google Home speaker can work the same way.