Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

guysivey
Topic Author

Fluorescent tube reboots Roku

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:15 pm

Anybody got any ideas with this one...

I have been using my SB500 (2.5.174) for over a year - very satisfied. iTunes or Twonky servers, Belkin pre-N MIMO F5D8230-4 wifi (with firmware to make it behave like a Linksys WRT54GX).

Since I moved the location of the wlan base station to a different part of the house, I suffer from a Roku reboot when one particular fluorescent tube is switched on. Sometimes.

I tried different positions for the base station, and I now have signal level -58db and signal quality 36. I changed the starter unit on the tube. But still it reboots. This sounds quite serious, like the SB has not just lost some packets of data, but has decided it really needs to start again.

Do I keep messing with the lighting, or is there a SB500 weakness to be addressed?

dbrown

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:44 pm

Are you wired or wireless? Fluorescent tubes/ballasts are notoriously "noisy" by nature. If you're wired, and have CAT5 ran next to the fixture, that could do it. It could also just be RFI, from a ballast/starter. Another possibility is that when starting the light, it puts too much strain on the circuit. Is the SB on the same circuit as the light?

guysivey
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:27 am

No, it's wireless (hence the signal strength!) and the 2 devices are on different circuits. But the light is in the direct path from base station to SB, which probably doesn't help. I have changed the tube, which was a bit old anyway, and so far so good. The kitchen is a lot brighter too.

I just thought it was strange for the SB to reboot. I would have expected a loss of sound and re-buffering, which sometimes happens with a busy server/router. But a reboot is a bit of an extreme result.

guysivey
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:55 pm

Correction: new starter and new tube - M50 still reboots when light switched on.

Is there an earlier version of firmware which is more stable and less inclined to reboot if it gets unexpected wifi events?

wiredhernandez

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:48 am

I would assume that the light is causing the device to reload (wigging out electronics) rather than any sort of wireless connectivity issue. Losing connection to the server is one thing and would be independant of keeping the system up. Doubt any easy answere besdides moving one. ... sux

stretch

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:21 am

Does the SB reboot only when the fluorescent is starting or does it occur if the light has been on for some time?

If it's only during the startup phase then you could also try changing the ballast but you'll need an electrician for that. Old ballasts are just big inductors but newer ones are power factor corrected & have some filtering for harmonics.

Some types of lights can inject nasty harmonics back into the power supply and it may be this that's giving the SB grief.
Cheap compact fluorescent lights are the biggest offenders but you have a regular one.

guysivey
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:55 am

Wrt wigging - this only started to happen after I moved the wifi base station to a different position which put the light in between the wap and the Roku. But there were various other mains wiring changes which could be relevant.

It is only when the light is starting up, and not every time. Might have a go at the ballast, since it is at least 15 years old.

Thanks for ideas.

Guy

guysivey
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:01 am

now it has started to reboot at random - is there an instability issue with 2.5.174?

bac522

Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:29 am

guysivey wrote:
now it has started to reboot at random - is there an instability issue with 2.5.174?

This strikes me as being a bad power supply on the Roku. I'm not sure what the specs are on the supply since I'm not home, but I'm sure radioshack could match one up for you.

fizze

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:47 am

Wow, you're basedin North America, right?

This definetly isnt related to the Wi-Fi interface, but to electrics.
And probably you have a bad or picky PSU for the Soundbridge.
And maybe real old wiring/starters whatever.

I think the starter of the tube really causes some voltage spikes/peaks on the wires which cause the soundbridge's PSU to fail for a short period.
If you cant/wont fix the cause of this, just get a cap for the soundbridges PSU or a isolationg transformer. Probably a cap is enough. Sort of those you use for a car stereo to buffer for voltage loss during engine start.
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696

guysivey
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:24 am

ok, I'll give this a try.

Actually, I am using a US PSU in the UK. Maybe this is contributing, but it has only started in recent months. I agree it sounds like power, not wifi.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Guy