Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Slide
Topic Author

Lights are on but no one's home

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:19 am

Hi all.

As the title suggests, when I plug the power into my m1000 the two green and one orange light flash but no signs of life appear on the display or on the wireless card.

I've followed the instructions here to boot in safe mode: http://www.rokulabs.com/support_sb_ts_drc.php

....but to no avail.

Can anyone help me, or is it simply dead??

Many thanks in advance.

Slide
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:36 am

No help?? :cry:

Nobody had this fault?? Please just put me out of my misery and tell me it's knackered.

buck mills

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:20 am

I am also having this problem.

I have a SoundBridge M1000 that was working perfectly (and wirelessly) until yesterday when I unplugged it from its power supply. When I plug it in again, the display does not come on. Taking off one of the end caps I can see 3 lights flashing rapidly (green, green, orange - look like network activity lights for the wired network?) but the lights on the wireless card are not on.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

RokuLyndon

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:08 am

buck,

It's possible your display is having problems. Try booting into safe mode. Hold down any button on the remote, while you plug the unit in. Also, you can try logging into the unit from my network places, or using its IP address in your web browser.

If you log into your router, you should be able to find what IP address the soundbridge is using.

RokuLyndon

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:09 am

Slide,

Does it make a difference if you try to boot it up without the wireless card in? Also, can you try and see if you can boot into safe mode? Do you have another power adapter you could try?

wideasleep1

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:11 am

If you or an electronics-savvy bud has a multi-meter, test the adapter for rated output, before sending in your SB's. G'luck!
Last edited by wideasleep1 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

buck mills

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:55 am

Lyndon

Thanks for the suggestions but so far nothing seems to have made any difference. Still getting nothing displayed and 3 rapidly flashing lights when powered up.

This is what I've tried so far (based on advice in this thread):

1. Power up with network cable unplugged and no wireless card, holding down a button on the remote. Also tried all combinations of wired/wireless connection and holding down a remote button/not holding down a button when switching on

2. Browse/telnet to SB's last used IP address (I'm using DHCP and I can see the unit isn't connecting to the network wired/wirelessly because the lease on the IP address has expired. Also tried cycling power to my router (just in case).

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

RokuMike

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:20 am

If the unit won't boot in Safe Mode, then it probably needs to be repaired. You can submit a support ticket via the link here to get that process started.

http://www.rokulabs.com/support_sb_contact.php

buck mills

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:45 am

Thanks Mike.

gcleveland

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:31 am

One of the things you should be careful of is the order in which you plug in devices that use adapters. Always plug the adapter into the wall first, then the output into the device. Never the other way around.

I've blown stuff by plugging the adapter into the wall last, so that the current passes right through to the device immediately. I don't know if it causes a surge, or what. The more technically knowledgeable can comment. Nonetheless, I always play it safe and plug adapter then device as a matter of course.

Don't know if that happened in your case, buck mills, but you never know.

buck mills

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:38 am

Ok, so I've ordered a replacement unit and it's on its way to me. Great!

In the meantime I plugged in the old unit one last time before I binned it, just on the off chance that all it needed was a rest ;)

Again, three flashy lights, no blue wireless card light, no life on the display. I left the room for about five minutes and when I came back in, the darn thing's streaming radio happily as if nothing had ever been wrong with it.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Am I going mental? (for the record, before I decided it was broken I had it plugged in and not working for the better part of a day)

Neril

Definitely worth checking the PSU

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:21 pm

Just thought I'd relay my experiences which are very similar, but I did have a happy solution.

The Soundbridge M1000 was turned off at the wall because I was having some electrical work done that meant power to my apartment would be turned off. The M1000 was bought in the US and has been running on the original PSU with a simple UK 3-pin adapter for about 6 months. When the power to the Soundbridge was turned it on again nothing happened: the Soundbridge seemed dead.

I took a look and noticed that the network lights on one end were flashing (similar to when a network card has a wired connection and it's receiving traffic, but this was even without a network cable plugged in). The main display didn't fire up and all the instructions for booting it into a "safe mode" restart produced no results. The network lights indicated it had power so I didn't think much more about it - I just assumed that the firmware had somehow corrupted, the device was fried or the screen was blown.

After talking to Roku support and being told that it needed to be sent in or replaced I took a look at the output voltage from the PSU. It was hovering around 8 volts DC.

Because the voltage seemed a little lower than the 9V I was expecting, I tried a high-current switched mode PSU that I have (taking care to ensure the voltage and the polarity were the same as the original PSU, of course). With the new PSU the Soundbridge sprung into life and the network lights were a steady green and not flickering like before. Putting the original PSU back reproduced the flickering lights and again no display.

Given the 1.3A output of the tiny PSU that comes with the Soundbridge, I'm not entirely surprised it has broken. All the PSUs I've seen that output over 1A are massive by comparison (but I know very little about electronics).

Hope this information helps to rescue some perfectly ok Soundbridges.

crosbiesmith

Wed May 09, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks everyone for the information here. I had a dead Soundbridge with flickering network lights. I bought a new unit on eBay, switched the supplies and my broken Soundbridge worked.

gouldinio

Fri May 25, 2007 6:00 am

I too had flashing lights at the end of my expensive tube, read this thread and decided to try a different psu - it worked!! thanks all, this new one only outputs 300mA though - hope that won't kill it???