Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ikeboy
Topic Author

SB starts over at beginning of playlist by itself

Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:27 pm

I thought I had noticed my M1000 suddenly jumping to the beginning of a playlist and I finally have tracked down when and how it is happening.

I have a roughly 4000 song playlist that I usually shuffle play. The vast majority (99%) of the songs are WMA Lossless. I am using WMC for a server and I have the latest and greatest firmware running on the SB.

Here is what I see when it restarts the playlist:

While a song is playing (almost at the end), the SB starts buffering the next song which happens to be a WMA lossless with a bitrate less than 400K. So, the "Cannot play song xxxxx" message is displayed while the previous song is still playing. I didn't hit anything on the remote and after about 3 seconds the "Playback stopped" message is displayed. Again I didn't hit anything on the remote and after about 3 seconds the SB started playing the playlist from the beginning again.

I realize the lossless less than 400k bitrate issue is being addressed, but it would seem like this resetting to the start of the playlist is a different issue.

RokuPatrick

Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:33 am

What software version are you running on your SoundBridge?

ikeboy
Topic Author

Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:14 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:
What software version are you running on your SoundBridge?

Latest and greatest, 2.1.20.

RokuMike

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:30 pm

Another user saw this problem as well. It's a bug that causes the SoundBrige to lose its place in the playlist. A bug has been filed.

I'm searching my memory, but I'm also still dazed from CES. When I remember the specific issue that caused the problem, or get to the office and can hit the bug database, I'll post again.

RokuMike

Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:23 pm

I looked up the bug.

Our reproducible case involves a Windows Media Lossless file with a pretty low bitrate. Since there's no way to tell a priori whether a file is WMA lossless or "regular" WMA from the UPnP interface, we look at the bitrate information. Sometimes we guess wrong, and the song fails to play.

That failure in turn triggers another bug that results in the current position in the list being lost and playback starting again.

As mentioned above, the bug is logged and will be fixed in a later release. In the meantime, if you have any WMA Lossless files whose bitrates are lower than 400kbps, you might consider moving them, storing them as WAV, converting to regular WMA, or otherwise excluding them from your playlists.