Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuMike

Wed May 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Well, there you go. You need to be a paid subscriber to stream. Davwebb, thanks for posting that info!

bac522

Thu May 31, 2007 12:50 pm

Wait a minute, I'm given 25 free listens to any songs through my comcast account. I can create a playlist in Rhapsody and play those 25 free tracks without a problem in Rhapsody, but if I try to use my Roku, no go. I'm not so sure that what davwebb is experiencing is the same problem I'm having.

RokuMike

Thu May 31, 2007 1:33 pm

I don't think I can add anything further at this point. We fully support streaming via UPnP from the Rhapsody application. As a Rhapsody customer, I use this feature every single day. However, it seems that Rhapsody's free accounts don't allow this service. That's not an issue we can do anything about, I'm sorry.

I would recommend that you speak to Rhapsody's customer service, but since you got such a misleading answer from them previously, I suppose I can't. :(

I've used the Rhapsody stuff from a Sonos unit, and I can tell you that it either uses UPnP the same way we do, or for the direct access it requires a username and password to an account, which I suspect (but I'm not certain) would not work with a free account.

davwebb

Rhapsody

Thu May 31, 2007 3:49 pm

Just to clarify:
I can play the tracks fine through Rhapsody Free.
I can add the tracks to a Rhapsody playlist and play the playlist through Rhapsody.
I cannot add the "free" tracks to the Rhapsody library, nor can they be seen by the Soundbridge. Rhapsody is obviously protecting the tracks to prevent this.

This is not a problem for me, as I do not use the Rhapsody free account for the streamed tracks. I just use it for the Radio stations.

bac522

Re: Rhapsody

Thu May 31, 2007 4:52 pm

davwebb wrote:
I can add the tracks to a Rhapsody playlist and play the playlist through Rhapsody.

That doesn't work for me, odd that it works for you. I can see the playlist I create on my M500, but I get the message "preparing to play" and then nothing. But I can play radio stations on the M500.

davwebb

Playlists

Thu May 31, 2007 6:55 pm

davwebb wrote:

Just to make sure I'm really clear: I can play Rhapsody playlists that include Rhapsody "streamed" tracks only through the Rhapsody application on the PC, not on the Soundbridge. I can play a Rhapsody playlist on the Soundbridge only if it is composed of only my .mp3 files that are on the PC

partymonkey

Rhapsody works just fine...at least the paid version

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Wow, there's been a lot of misinformation on this post, I'm glad RokuMike clarified it.

The Rhapsody client works just fine with the Soundbridge, both purchased Tracks, streamed tracks, playlists, and channels (previously called radio stations). I do this using the Rhapsody 4 client (although I used to do it with 3) and a paid account.

I also have a free account. When I log into the Rhapsody Client using the free account, I cannot add any one of the free 25 track choices to the library, but I can add them to a playlist. The playlist, although recognized by the Soundbridge, will not play.

I think both davwebb and RokuMike are correct in that Rhapsody protects UPnP streaming of those tracks with the free accounts.

RokuMike

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:28 pm

Thanks, partymonkey, for clarifying that. Since I don't have access to a Comcast free account, I was not able to verify that from here.

partymonkey

Rhapsody free account - how to obtain

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:07 pm

If you're interested, you can create a free account as follows:

1) Go to www.rhapsody.com
2) Click on the Sign In button
3) Click on Create New Account.

(I don't have a Comcast free account myself, I just have a regular Rhapsody.com free account in addition to my paid subscription account, but I believe the behavior on any branded version of Rhapsody is identical).

RokuMike

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:07 pm

Ah, very helpful. Thanks, I thought it was a Comcast-specific thing.

bac522

Re: Rhapsody works just fine...at least the paid version

Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:20 pm

partymonkey wrote:
I think both davwebb and RokuMike are correct in that Rhapsody protects UPnP streaming of those tracks with the free accounts.

That seems odd, but I suppose it's possible. For curiosity sake, anyway Roku can validate that since I guess anyone can set up a free account.

My guess is that the Rhapsody software won't stream anything but radio stations to the SoundBridge when it's a free account.

bhoman

Can't access Rhapsody playlists with paid account

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:36 pm

I have a paid account (Rhapsody to go). I'm using Rhapsody 3.1, the 4.0 upgrade was a crap product and I uninstalled it and went back to 3.1.
My Roku 1001 was previously unable to even see Rhapsody, but now it can see it and play albums, artists and canned radio stations. I think it improved after I recently upgraded to the most recent firmware, v.2.7.78.
But Roku still cannot play my playlists. When I select "Playlists" it says "Waiting for Reply" for several seconds, and then says something like "Unable to load browse data, invalid reponse."
The key is Roku seems to be able to see everything in my library, but not my playlists. If I drag a playlist to my library, it just copies each track into it's respective artist category; it doesn't keep the playlist intact.

Any ideas?

Also, should I be able to start playing an album or artist from Rhapsody, and then add a new artist to the Roku song queue? When I try to do this, I seem to replace the current song queue with anew one.

RokuMike wrote:
What?! No, that's absolutely incorrect information. Absolutely incorrect.
.... (snip)
So, as I said above, I suspect that the problem may lie in the limited nature of your account. It is not a limitation of the SoundBridge -- we play Rhapsody files just fine.

Jordann

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Mike,
I'm still somewhat foggy on this. I just bought a roku4; and its my first streaming box experience. Are you saying that I can only make rhapsody work from my PC (I'm still confused on that process)?? I have an iPhone 6s, is there any way to make the rhapsody app stream to the box through the mobile device?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:08 am

You're in the wrong forum. This is a Soundbridge forum, not a forum for Roku 4.

You want the Roku General Forum at the top of the forums list: viewforum.php?f=28

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan