Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

alpamayo
Topic Author

SB M1001 feezes while on wireless

Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:55 am

I have the M1001 SB. It was running the beta 2.7.78 with WPA enabled. It registers to the AP just fine and finds the network and views the files in my computer. However when I plan some songs or access Internet Radio, the device does either of two things: 1) It reboots 2) It Freezes Up. I decided to boot in safe mode and updated the firmware. It downloaded and upgraded just fine although it seems the latest version is still 2.7.78. I noticed that while connected to the ethernet cable all seems well and the unit does not freeze-up. However, even with the latest upgrade the unit continues to freeze-up while on wireless. At one point I thought it might be the music server and so I changed from MS Windows Media Player to Firefly but it did not help. I have the following configuration:

M1001 (2.7.78)
ACTIONTEC wireless router (Verizon FIOS provided)
802.11 B WPA enabled
Windows XP Professional workstation
Firefly server

RokuLyndon

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:32 pm

I don't believe this should make a difference, but let's try updating to 3.x beta. You can signup here.
http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundb ... ware/beta/

If we downgrade to 2.5 to confirm that the lockup problems are gone, we will need to use some other security while on 2.5 since 2.5 doesn't support WPA.

Where is the unit physically located? Is it a well ventilated location?

alpamayo
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:07 pm

Thanks!. Will check out 3.0 beta and see if this help. As for the device, it is physically located over a wood console, next to a large bay window. Some sun light hits near by in the late afternoons. The room probably can get up to about 85F to 90F in a hot day if I dont have the ac running. I have notice sometimes the device feels a bit hot to the touch (nothing too severe).

If I were to downgrade to 2.5, what "other" security would there be? Obviously WEP is not secure and MAC filtering is not a way to secure anything. What other alternatives do you have in mind?

RokuLyndon

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:54 pm

WEP is the only option in 2.5 software.

alpamayo
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:07 pm

Hmm, that is my point, dont know if I want to open up my home computer to the world with WEP. It seems I need to expose a music server to everyone in the neigthborhood only to keep the device from freezing up? I dont want to have a dedicated AP just for SB nor should we have to.

Do we have a sense for what the problem might be? What additional info might Roku need to troubleshoot this? Are we having alot of problems successfully implementing WPA? and if so, is ROKU working on a solution or should I not expect WPA to work any time soon?

RokuLyndon

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:38 pm

At this point, I don't know that WPA has anything to do with your problem. I was just saying that if we downgraded the unit to 2.5 to see if the behavior existed there, that wpa was not supported.

Why don't we try going to 3.x software first?
Then, the next thing we can try is temporarily using ethernet, and see if the lockup only occurs with wireless.

alpamayo
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Point taken. Thank You.

Okay, here is what I have done so far:

I first kept the same firmware (2.7.78) and instead changed wireless routers. The system continued to reboot after a couple of minutes.

I then changed from WPA to WEP and the system continued to reboot after a couple of minutes.

I then disabled WEP and had no security what so ever. The system continued to reboot after a couple of minutes.

I then decided to get away from wireless and connect via ethernet. The system continued to reboot after a couple of minutes.

I changed songs thinking perhaps the particular song or file type had something to do with this. The system continued to reboot after a couple of minutes on different songs.

I then decided to go ahead and upgrade to beta 3.0 and so I followed the instructions, added the mac address, my email and a comment at the link provided. At 11:30pm on Tuesday, I would get a message reply on the web site saying the mac was added and that I had 30 minutes to upgrade, yet, it would not show my mac address in the list of activated addresses. Furthermore, when I tried to upgrade the firmware, it would not do so telling me I had the latest ( at 2.7.78).

One symptom of serious concern to me is that I have noticed some cracking and popping sounds usually before the device fails. During playback, there is some noise propagating through to my receiver and heard over the speakers. I thought it was the specific song but upon changing tracks, the noise continued to come and go before rebooting. I also thought it was perhaps the power strip it was connected to but that too did not seem to be the issue (I removed the power strip and plugged it into the wall directly).

I am all out of ideas by now. I could not upgrade to 3.0. Please help!!!
Any ideas?

alpamayo
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:27 pm

I should add that when trying to update the firmware, I rebooted my router as well as the SB device.

Dan Smart

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:50 pm

I believe you need to register your wired MAC address regardless of the interface you are using for the upgrade.

Dan
4xM2000 2xM1000.

alpamayo
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:43 pm

Here is an update.

I was eventually able to download and upgrade to beta 3.x. Unfortunately SB continues to either freeze or reboot. I tried this while connected via ethernet or wireless, it does not seem to make a difference, the unit reboots within 30-60 seconds of starting a song. SB also reboots or freezes when using Internet Radio so it is not limited to a particular file type. I am strongly leaning towards component failure at this time.

By the way, I kept the unit turned on most of the day today. The temp here is about 80F and humid. The device feels a bit hot for my liking but not to bad.

Any ideas or suggestions ? If none, perhaps it might be a good time to ask about an RMA and a device replacement? I have owned this for about 5 months or so.

Jordan2Lesnar

Re:

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 pm

alpamayo wrote:
I should add that when trying to update the firmware, I rebooted my routers for well as the SB device.

The device feels a bit hot for my liking but not to bad. Any ideas or suggestions ? If none, perhaps it might be a good time to ask about an RMA and a device replacement?