Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

brjoon1021
Topic Author

Where can I get good downloads and cheap CDs ?

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:12 pm

In other words, I don't have that many CDs and I don't have that much money to purchase a bunch of them at retail to feed the Soundbridge. I am having ethical struggles with ripping CDs from family members and from the library so I am stuck with my piddly collection of CDs and my limited budget.

So, I need to figure out a way to buy CDs on the cheap and then hopefully get some money back out of them on resale. Also, of course i would like to download songs as well but I am an audio snob. I would want the download to be a bare minimum of 320K and preferrably lossless.

Any ideas to help me out ? I wish that I did not have this conscience because i was drooling over the thousands of CDs available for free at the library.

Thanks,

B.

Wondercow

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:49 pm

You're wanting to download high-bitrate files and resell purchased CDs (presumably after you've ripped them) but you're having "ethical struggles with ripping CDs from family members and from the library" :?: :!:

It's quite amazing how humans rationalise and justify.

Just go to used music stores and buy what you can afford, when you can afford it. You might also want to check the laws in your region. In Canada, for example, it's legal to download and upload music files. It's also OK to copy someone else's CDs as long as the person keeping the copy is the one who actually makes said copy (i.e., if I own a CD that you want to copy I can set it all up but *you* have to hit the 'burn' button).

Other than that you might just have to --*gasp*-- wait for some cash! 8)
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

brjoon1021
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:33 pm

Downloading high bitrate files should be legal as long as they are purchased.

Now that I have looked into the US laws on this stuff, I think that Roku and the like are a waste of money. Effectively, they essentially offer nothing over a multi-disk CD changer except the internet radio (which sounds crappy usually). I say they are nothing more than a multidisk changer because one must still have the disk in one's possession, as the purchaser in fact, to listen to it. So, I would rather drop a disk into a CD player and have it sound better than lossy, compressed rip than to access the same music but in a compressed format on something like the Roku.

grommet

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:59 pm

brjoon1021, you can play Lossless or uncompressed audio on the SoundBridge. It will sound exactly the same as the CD (with M1000, M2000 & M500.) SoundBridge is about making your music easily available without sitting next to your computer. I haven't used a CD for playback in years. Really. I keep the original CD in a box, as my master backup. SoundBridge is not "just a CD changer."

It even opens up access to Subscription music services... millions of songs, for less than the cost of a CD a month. (Yahoo!, URGE, Rhapsody, etc.) For people than want variety and a low cost, there is nothing better.

JohnnyUK

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:28 am

grommet wrote:
brjoon1021, you can play Lossless or uncompressed audio on the SoundBridge. It will sound exactly the same as the CD (with M1000, M2000 & M500.) SoundBridge is about making your music easily available without sitting next to your computer. I haven't used a CD for playback in years. Really. I keep the original CD in a box, as my master backup. SoundBridge is not "just a CD changer."

It even opens up access to Subscription music services... millions of songs, for less than the cost of a CD a month. (Yahoo!, URGE, Rhapsody, etc.) For people than want variety and a low cost, there is nothing better.

Spot on!

Wondercow

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:07 am

brjoon1021, the Rokus will play uncompressed music just fine. You can rip CDs as WAV or AIFF or use lossless compression like FLAC or Apple Lossless.

My M2000 is so much more than a multi-disc CD changer. Maybe with the current size of your CD collection a CD changer makes sense and, if so, get one - nothing wrong with that. For me though, I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle of changing discs (even in a multi-changer it takes time for the mechanism to change discs), having to keep a record of what disc is in what space (for 100+ [jukebox] changers), not having displayed info like artist, album, etc., and many other reasons. With my 1200+ CDs (and growing) I LOVE having instant access to ANY track from ANY album at ANY time with no delay.

In short, the Roku may not be the perfect solution for you, but don't confuse it for being a low-fi, compressed music playing multi-changer!
~Moo!

-----------------------

iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone

MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

ialonso

Consider a Yahoo music subscription....

Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:59 am

Yahoo music subscription costs less than one CD per month, and gives you full access to millions of DRM songs, that can be played on your Roku when you use Windows Media Connect server. (Works great with Roku)

If you want to burn a song, , you can pay 99cents, OR, to turn it into a DRMless song, you can re-record the song with tunebite, Audacity,and even Windows Sound Recorder, or similar (If this doesn't make any sense, google tunebite, and you shall find out what I am talking about)

Although this is a little controlversial still, supposedly this has already been proven legal in court in the US. courts have determined that you can record the music you are entitle to listen to at home as "fair use" allowed under copywrite, so that youcan listen to it again later. This does not entain breaking an enryption scheme in any way. So it was actually included in a recent opinion as allowed fair use.

Then again, this could be a bunch of b.s. I was fed so that I though this was all OK, so YMMV, and I'm not responsible for what happens to you

grommet

Re: Consider a Yahoo music subscription....

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:58 am

ialonso wrote:
Although this is a little controlversial still, supposedly this has already been proven legal in court in the US. courts have determined that you can record the music you are entitle to listen to at home as "fair use" allowed under copywrite, so that you can listen to it again later. This does not entain breaking an enryption scheme in any way. So it was actually included in a recent opinion as allowed fair use. Then again, this could be a bunch of b.s. I was fed
Yes, it's B.S. You are incorrect. This is a clear violation of the "subscription" music TOS and not really legal (or ethical)... I assume Tunebite or equivalent will continue to say it is, however, to sell their 'recording' product.

dlcrouch

Try Rhapsody

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:50 am

It's subscription based streaming service with a really large library - I think it's about $13 / month. It runs on your PC and can stream to a Soundbridge.

If i find an album I really like, i usually buy it on ITunes.

Select Rhapsody Unlimited not the to-go version.

http://www.real.com

Dan Smart

Re: Consider a Yahoo music subscription....

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:29 pm

ialonso wrote:
Although this is a little controlversial still, supposedly this has already been proven legal in court in the US. courts have determined that you can record the music you are entitle to listen to at home as "fair use" allowed under copywrite, so that youcan listen to it again later. This does not entain breaking an enryption scheme in any way. So it was actually included in a recent opinion as allowed fair use.

Then again, this could be a bunch of b.s. I was fed so that I though this was all OK, so YMMV, and I'm not responsible for what happens to you

1) The word is copyRIGHT, as in "the right to make copies".
2) The license granted to you as part of the terms-of-service of the subscription service explicitly denies you the right to make copies.
3) If you are in america, copying for the purpose of format conversion of items you have purchased, and continue to own, is _probably_ fair use, and that _may_ in the case of copy-protected media, invalidate the clauses in the DMCA that prevent it. This is untested in court so far, and curiously the media companies seem unwilling to let it be tested.
4) Point 3 does not apply to music obtained from subscriptions services as you haven't purchased that music, you are renting it.

If you are going to make assertions about copyright law, you really should know what you are talking about.

I am not a lawyer, although I have spent some time consulting with lawyers in this field, and you should not rely on anything other than point (1) above being accurate.

Dan
4xM2000 2xM1000.

eurikah

Buying music

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:04 pm

Not sharing my computer. I tune muic cannot be played on SoundBridge.
Where is their a site that can be played on SoundBridge that you can purchase CD or specific music pieces to download. Especially classics

partymonkey

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:01 am

eurikah:
You are correct, you cannot directly play Itunes tracks on the Soundbridge, unless they are the new DRM-less tracks (Itunes Plus) or you set it up to stream the audio through a upnp server, but I don't know how complex that is.

In terms of services that you can use with the Soundbridge, you can look at Rhapsody and I believe Yahoo Unlimited also works. Both of these services allow you to purchase and download DRM protected tracks, but they work on the Soundbridge. They both have free trials.

For purchasing cheap CDs, there are many sites, just google and look around.

eurikah

Music purchase

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm in Canada and Rhapsody is not available. Yahoo Unlimited is still working on it's classics and jazz not much choice especially the better known artists. But thanks for trying