Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gib
Topic Author

Soundbridge-compatible Windows 10 media server?

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 am

Hi, everyone:

I am a long-time Soundbridge user who just upgraded to a Windows 10 desktop that stores my music library. ITunes sharing does not perform well on this computer; it drops out periodically for no reason, and has to be recycled on the PC. So I'm looking for an alternative media server I can use with my Soundbridge.

DLNA servers I've tried, like Windows Media Player and Plex, can cast music to the Soundbridge, but don't allow me to browse the library from the Soundbridge. (The Soundbridge returns a message, "The request was invalid.")

I've also tried installing the old Firefly on Windows 10, but it hangs after a few seconds.

Are any of you using other software successfully with the Soundbridge under Windows 10?

Thanks,

Gib

FrankB

Re: Soundbridge-compatible Windows 10 media server?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 am

Plex does not allow browsing from the Soundbridge? I am fairly sure that worked for me when I tried. I just did not like the library organization and it was not customizable. I use Twonky but on Linux.

gib
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 am

No, couldn't browse from Plex, but could cast from the PC. Doesn't help me as PC and Soundbridge are separated by two floors in my house.

Yesterday, I was able to get iTunes home sharing to work by running iTunes in Windows 8 compatibility mode and switching my Wi-Fi connection from 802.11ac to 802.11g. I think I may be good now, but if I have more trouble, I will look in to Twonky.

Thanks,

Gib

JohnSz

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:53 pm

I had the same problem. I'd previously used the server within Windows Media Player however that stopped working with Win10.

My solution:I've found that Jamcast Server works well (Jamcast Server for Windows, Version 2.3.5.457). Download here:

http://getjamcast.com/MediaServer.aspx

Once you've installed it, click "Channels - My Music - Configure" to add your music folder.

Good luck :-)

gib
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:08 pm

I had to reboot my Windows 10 machine for a software update. After it came up, I was back to the same situation with iTunes sharing dropping off the network. I installed Twonky, which has been working well.

I posted a question on the Apple support forum, and got zero response. Guess it isn't reasonable to expect them to pay much attention to issues on Windows.

gib
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2019 8:08 am

Yes. That didn't work. I am sticking with Twonky. The nominal license cost is well worth the relief from the headaches. (And Twonky works well with my Samsung TV as well.)