Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Duffledorf
Topic Author

Soundbridge needs rebooting hourly - PLEASE HELP!

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:33 am

Apologies for posting this again, but am not getting any responses by tagging on to existing threads.

I have Soundbridge M1001 running fine with the exception that every hour to hour-n-half it suddenly loses the connection to the library. Can be mid song it just stops and shows the 'no libraries found [why?] 'message.

It does not loose the wireless connection, as internet radio works fine.

It does not appear to be anything in firefly, the log just shows the last song streamed then there is no further activity.

I can reconnect by going into configuration (in the soundbridge) and doing a restart. Once restarted it finds the libraries again without problem (for an hour or so anyway!)

I am running 3.0.49 and it was only on updating to this version that the problem started, but I need this version to receive BBC internet radio.

Please Help, or at least let me know that this is a known problem that is being looked at.

thanks
Duff

RokuLyndon

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:49 am

Can you temporarily downgrade to your software and see if the problem goes away?

Duffledorf
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:42 pm

Hi Lyndon

I have downgraded to 3.0.44 as you suggested, and have run the Soundbridge for a few hours, but it is still stops both times after around 1 hour.

I haven't noticed this previously, but briefly before it showed the 'no libraries' message it shows 'The library has shut down'.

As before the wireless connection stays live and I can access radio channels without restarting. However, as you know I cannot access BBC radio stations with 3.0.44.

I cannot remember what software version i was using before 3.0.49, but I think it was further back then 3.0.44, is it possible to go further back, or does this prove the problem lies elsewhere?

appreciate your help.

Duff

alanmc

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Just for your info, and not wishing to 'rub-salt-in-your-wounds' I can assure you that I have four US model M1001s running v 3.0.49 here in Bedford all without such issues as you describe. My NAS units are Buffalo Linkstations and stream perfectly without issues on all my five units for extended periods exceeding 4 hours to my certain knowledge.

However, one M1001 that was recently shipped to me by Roku did not 'like' v 3.0.49 and has since been replaced - this new unit is currently only running 3.0.44 as of today's date (for a specific reason).

RokuLyndon

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:19 pm

You can use this link to downgrade to 2.5.174, and then upgrade from there.
http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundb ... downgrade/

Can you try running a pc server and see if the soundbridge disconnects from it as well?

Duffledorf
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:56 am

Hi Lyndon

Thanks for your response. I haven't tried this link yet, as I have stumbled across somthing that I wanted to run by you, as it may change our direction of dealing with the problem.

In order to make the troubleshooting of the problem a little easier for me, I moved the Soundbridge into the office to be near my computers. I connected it up to the wireless network and set it running as before (still running 3.0.44) and it ran without problem throughout the night (at least 9 hours).

The only difference that the location makes, is that in the office it is connecting directly to my wireless router (which is hardwired to my computers and printer) rather than through a Belkin wireless signal booster used to cover the location it is usually situated.

I don't understand why this would make a difference, as I said before, I don't lose connection to the internet radio stations and the signal is there to connect back to the libraries when I reboot the Soundbridge.

Should I still go down the route of trying older software, or do you have any suggestions on what may be causing the problem.

thanks again for any advice

:? Duff

Duffledorf
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:41 am

alanmc wrote:
I can assure you that I have four US model M1001s running v 3.0.49 here in Bedford all without such issues as you describe. My NAS units are Buffalo Linkstations and stream perfectly without issues on all my five units for extended periods exceeding 4 hours to my certain knowledge.

Hi alan

as you know from previous threads, I am keen to keep 3.0.49 for the BBC radio stations. Just wondered if you were using any kind of wireless signal booster (see my post above).

Duff

andyg

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:46 am

The only difference that the location makes, is that in the office it is connecting directly to my wireless router (which is hardwired to my computers and printer) rather than through a Belkin wireless signal booster used to cover the location it is usually situated.

Officially Roku don't recommend access points/boosters as the 'double hop' can make things more complicated. That said, I run a belkin modem/router on one floor the house, with my SB next to a belkin AP downstairs and it works fine. When I first set all this up I spent a fair bt of time on the phone to Belkin support to get things figured out,

Depending on your model of router/AP have a look at this post and my instructions therein. May be of help to you...

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=13600&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=frame+bursting

andy
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

JustMike

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:44 am

We never found a "booster" or "extender" that didn't cause problems.

The symptoms described by the OP are consistent with the SoundBridge momentarily losing connectivity to the Wi-Fi network. The fact that moving it close to the access point makes the problem go away supports this hypothesis.

So, the options are to relocate the networking equipment so that the SoundBridge gets a good (direct) signal at the desired location, replace the access point with something with more range, run Ethernet to the SoundBridge, or use a Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge so that the SoundBridge only sees an Ethernet connection, not Wi-Fi.
Formerly "RokuMike", but these opinions are mine alone.

wideasleep1

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:10 am

Or homeplug?
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

Duffledorf
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:27 am

JustMike wrote:
We never found a "booster" or "extender" that didn't cause problems.

The symptoms described by the OP are consistent with the SoundBridge momentarily losing connectivity to the Wi-Fi network. The fact that moving it close to the access point makes the problem go away supports this hypothesis.

So, the options are to relocate the networking equipment so that the SoundBridge gets a good (direct) signal at the desired location, replace the access point with something with more range, run Ethernet to the SoundBridge, or use a Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge so that the SoundBridge only sees an Ethernet connection, not Wi-Fi.

Hi Mike
very pleased to hear from you and to know you are still around, even if it isn't the best of news.

Unfortunately I am unable to relocate my wireless router or run ethernet cable, due to the circumstances of the building. I will investigate the 'something with more range' option.

Also are you saying that if I use my Belkin signal booster as an ethernet bridge it won't suffer the same problem?

You say that it is likely to be a momentarily loss of signal from the booster to the soundbridge, I am interested if this is consistant with the fixed time periods (on careful monitoring it does seem to be very consistant at losing the signal after 1hr 10m) and if you have any suggestions on what causes that interuption, ie is likely to be something related to the booster, or something happening externally to temporarily block the signal, etc.

Finally, I am confused on why the Soundbridge, having lost the signal momentarily, would then be locked out and need restarting, rather than just being able to reconnect (either automatically or manually), but not effect the internet radio connection.

I hope you are able to respond or point me to something that can help me understand and hopefully resolve the problem.

andyg wrote:
Officially Roku don't recommend access points/boosters as the 'double hop' can make things more complicated. That said, I run a belkin modem/router on one floor the house, with my SB next to a belkin AP downstairs and it works fine. When I first set all this up I spent a fair bt of time on the phone to Belkin support to get things figured out,

Depending on your model of router/AP have a look at this post and my instructions therein. May be of help to you...

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=13600&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=frame+bursting

andy

Andy ,

thanks for your comment, I did look into this, but wasn't able to apply any of it. I don't have a Belkin Router, I have a BT Broadband Hub, with a Belkin booster, non of the settings in the Hub seemed to reflect your Belkin settings, but if you have any other thoughts I would be please to hear them.

thanks
Duff

Duffledorf
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:09 pm

JustMike wrote:
So, the options are ..., or use a Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge so that the SoundBridge only sees an Ethernet connection, not Wi-Fi.

Just a quick follow on to my last post, I have tried linking the Belkin Range Extender up by ethernet cable to the soundbridge as a bridge, but get exactly the same response as when linked to it wirelessly, ie a loss of connection after 70 mins.

Duff

vvishnevskiy

Similar Issue

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:53 pm

Hi,
I started having very similar issues a few days ago. I am actually on 3.0.44 which i understand is not the latest (which is strange because the unit is telling me that it IS up to date). Anyway I am finding that it started to loose wireless network. Nothing that I know of changed at all and it has been working for a couple of months now. I am using WPA with netgear WGU624 v2.0.1.1 .
I have my laptop continuously pinging the soundbridge and another box on the LAN. At one pint I just start getting timeouts and that is when sounbridge goes out.
Any ideas? Reboot seems to fix the problem for a few minutes.
Thanks
Vitaliy Vishnevskiy

Duffledorf
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:11 pm

Latest update:

Just tried switching off all security encryption on both router and Range Extender, to see if it was some kind of key change, but problem still exists without security on.

Belkin are still saying it is something to do with port forwarding, but I cannot figure out where to set this. They say it needs to be set on the mac, router and Extender.

Any clues anyone?

please :cry:

Duff

Duffledorf
Topic Author

Yet another update

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi all

I am hoping for comments from Lyndon and Mike here, but would appreciate anyone's if you can help:

I have realised that if I switch on the Soundbridge with wireless connection to the Belkin Range Extender and then start firefly or itunes, the Soundbridge does not register that they are there. They have to be there when the Soundbridge is restarted, so even if I have firefly active on the network before I switch on the Soundbridge it doesn't pick it up.

Likewise, having connected to a music library, if I stop Firefly or close itunes, the Soundbridge still thinks they are there and lets me choose them and then says "Connection to server failed". This means that regardless of if the library is active or not, the Soundbridge is not interacting with it through the Belkin, except when I do a restart.

However, move the Soundbridge to a wireless connection through the router and the Soundbridge instantly updates its screen when firefly or itunes is switched on or off.

From this I deduce that the restart initialises the connection to the library, (firefly or itunes) and then is happy to play its contents, but the link is one way (from the library to the Soundbridge). The guess is that at a point some 70 minutes after the connection the Soundbridge must re-check for the presence of the library and not being able to get confirmation that it is still there, brings back the message that the library has shut down.

I now need someone to confirm this thinking, and I need a wireless expert to help me figure out why after the restart the Soundbridge-belkin-router-mac connection is lost, when we know we have a mac-router-belkin-Soundbridge connection (the route the music files are taking) and that the Soundbridge-belkin-router connection is still there (because we still have an internet radio link).

What does the Soundbridge restart do, that the rest of the software can't?
Is the break in connection between the router and the mac or does the link from the Soundbridge to the internet differ in any way to the link from the Soundbridge to the library.

I do appreciate your continued help and support.

Duff