Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

garethygog
Topic Author

"Near death" experience with M500

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:06 pm

My m500 soundbridge recently went feral! The unit went reported being in safe-mode. I was initally able to restore to factory defaults, and after re-configuring Wi-Fi settings confirmed working order against a few radio stations. Then as I began to browse, the display responded as if a remote control button was being permanently pressed. (RC unit was checked/batt. disc. etc) The unit was powered down and rebooted but as soon as ANY command was input, the same thing occurred. No other remote unit was on nearby, but still the issue remained. Occasioanlly the RC unit can be used to interrupt and cause reset to factory default, each time the unit type and 'let the music play' displayed, afterc which the unit reverted again, to safe-mode, rendering it totally unusable. Eventually I managed to connect to M500 via telnet using a wired Ethernet connection. The unit showed various stats,, i.e cpu cycle increasing, and indicated normal operation, S/W level 2.1.8. The MFG test completed without reporting errors. The unit rebooted on command but returned directly into safe-mode. After clearsettings (or similar) command the unit did not respond. Maybe coincidence but i had to reboot my ADSL modem/router (WAG54G) and laptop (Vista HP) to resume all laptop internet operations.
The next day Jan I removed Wi-FI card, connected Ethernet cable and forced safe-mode using RC button procedure during power on, and the unit booted confirming ver. 3.0.44, contacted RoKU server and confirmed this was up to date. I tested browse, top stations and my favourites with no problem. After restoring the WiFi card i was back with the original problem again. This time i again forced safe-mode and was able to initialise the system and it now appears to be working ok! Time & use will tell, but what was the problem? I dont have a clue, unless possibly something came loose!
Anyone seen this before? .
:?
Update Jan 4th. The issue now seems to be that the display sems to be receiving repeated commands, as if the RC button was stuck. even when the command was input via Radio Roku. With some patience I can get it to play a station, but usually the unit scrolls through all command responses. I.e lowering volume takes it to 0%, increasing takes it to 100% , browsing favourites scrolls throught them all. I'm convinced its not a remote controller fault (this happens with unit battery removed).

Anyone help... ROKU Enigneers?
Roku M500, Linksys WAG54G

RokuLyndon

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:50 am

can you try going into safe mode again, when connected to ethernet, and choosing the software update, which will reinstall the software on the unit. That is, if the remote works properly when you are in safe mode.

Then, retest.

When there's no battery in your remote, the unit reacts to remote button presses? So, do you mean the screen is still randomly scrolling.

garethygog
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:40 am

Thanks for the response, this is waht I did:
Connected via Ethernet & after several attempts, i got the unit to force download 3.0.44 but it stalled after about 10% , then reported unable to continue. After that I couldnt repeat the procedure due to being unable to command the unit.
The display sems to quickly flip from one end of 'choices' to the other, in response to an RC command, as if I was keeping the button pressed. With no button pressed and batteries remmoved from RC the display can continue to oscillate between responses, depending on where it was left. I.e. safe-mode. It's difficult to describe. Someimes you can interrupt and choose a response but it's hot & miss, so I gave up for the night.
As the unit is near HiFi, and awkward for ethernet cable etc. I took it to a work bench with cabled router where i downloaded and ran 3.0.44 ok. I then configured some more favourites and powered it off/on and it seemed to be fixed. When I replaced it near Hi-Fi and powered up with Wireless card, the unit powered on into safe mode again and was unusable. Back to the bench with the ethernet, then wifi card I could load it and configure wifi ok, but in HiFi situ the unit again didnt work. I noticed our DVD Remote control had a fault battery back being held in place by rubber band, but while no button was being obviously pressed, considered, maybe this was causing spurious IR commands, so removed the unit's batteries and set up the Roku unit again....this time it worked, although until 24hrs has passed I'll draw no conclusion for now. :roll:

mr rusty

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Just a thought, but you haven't changed to a low energy flourescent light bulb? A while ago I had a sound unit that reacted to a particular bulb as if it was radiating permanent commands. Only ever happened to me with one bulb, but the symptoms were almost exactly as you describe

garethygog
Topic Author

Follow up

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:13 am

Well, I am changing to Low Enrgy, bulbs, and some recent news items planted the same thought in my mind, however I havent introduced a new one in that area for some time.......though I probably will soon... so will bear it in mind.
As part of my energy saving plans, I have been switching off, at mains power, the ROKU unit every night, and I dont use it every day, and since the problem appeared to creep in, and was somewhat erratic before finally becoming peristent, I cant really say when this started, sufice to say however, since I force loaded 3.0.4 and removed the DVD remore control unit, the unit has performed flawlesly ...... si U have to conclude this was the cause. :evil:

Thanks for all responses, now all I need to do is sit back and wait for those nice people at ROKU to add support for REAL Audio streaming....as the one station that would make me use the unit daily, still uses this format!
:roll: