Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mgrove
Topic Author

No Network Connection at Start Up

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:32 pm

I've installed my Soundbridge via ethernet connection and it works fine other than each time I start the Soundbridge it gives me a failure to connect to network message. If I either unplug/replug the Soundbridge or restart it using the restart option within the Soundbridge, it connects and works fine but it's annoying to have to do this each time I start it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

RokuLyndon

Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:39 pm

So, you are getting a wireless error even though you are using ethernet?

mgrove
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:34 pm

I don't think it's a wireless error but I don't know for sure. When I start the SB it gives me the usual "connecting to..." for a bit but then the error "Connection to server failed" pops up. When I hit "OK" it gives me 3 play options (server, desktop, internet radio) and System Config option. If I try to play the server (where my music is stored) it does the same connecting failure routine. If I go into Sys Config and check the ethernet status it says ethernet is active and connected to network. If I check wireless status, it says wireless port is disabled. If I take the "Restart Soundbridge" option in Sys Config, it restarts and then connects to the server and everything works fine. If I turn it off and then immediately back on after this reboot, everything is still fine. It seems that it has to be turned off for a length of time to cause the connection error. I'm using the SB to play music from an ethernet connected HP Media Vault. Could it be that the Media Vault goes to sleep and therefore the SB can't connect immediately upon start up - that the restart of the SB somehow "wakes up" the Media Vault and allows the connection? Thanks!

RokuLyndon

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:27 am

Ok, so it's giving you an error when it tries to reconnect to your media server. It's having problem re-establishing the connection to the mediavault. It's odd though that it works fine after restarting the soundbridge, indicating the mediavault was available all the time.

mgrove
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:45 am

The mediavault is always powered on and I have no problem accessing it from my desktop - not sure why the SB has the problem each time - any thoughts?

Malakim

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:03 pm

I have the same problem. In my case I think it's related to dynamic IP addresses. If my NAS receives a new IP address from my ISP while the SB is asleep I think the SB has problems re-connecting when it wakes up.

If the SB is rebooted it always manages to reconnect. Sounds reasonable?

Regards,
Markus Svensson

RokuLyndon

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:57 am

malakim, have you tried assigning a static IP address to the NAS, or at least increasing the length of the lease for the IP address? If increasing the for the IP address reduces or eliminates the problem, then we would have verification.

Malakim

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:17 pm

RokuLyndon wrote:
malakim, have you tried assigning a static IP address to the NAS, or at least increasing the length of the lease for the IP address? If increasing the for the IP address reduces or eliminates the problem, then we would have verification.

No, I haven't tried that. The "router" I use normally is a crappy modem / router delivered by my ISP that doesn't allow any configuration. However, I also have a NetGear wireless router that I use as an access point. I could try disconnection it from the Internet and just connect the SB and NAS to it and see if that works better.

I'll try it during the weekend and post my results here, OK?

Regards,
Markus

Malakim

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:56 am

Hi,

I think I've found my problem.

I discovered that my phone line where the ADSL connection comes in wasn't done correctly. This caused the ADSL connection to drop whenever I picked up the phone. After I fixed the phone line I have not had any problems with reconnecting to the NAS when powering up the SB.

Could the drops cause the connection issues (I suppose that the drop may have caused both the SB and NAS to get forced to change IP addresses).

Regards,
Markus Svensson

mgrove
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:51 pm

So I've still not solved this problem - I'm not having phone system or router issues and I'm on a cable modem so DSL/phone shouldn't be my problem so I'm not thinking that my solution is the same as Malakim's. Perhaps I can assign a static IP address to my NAS as suggested above to see if that solves the problem but I would need some help to do that. Any suggestions?